• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone follow Formula 1?

JayC

Huh?
Well, with one race left in the season, who do you think will take the constructor's championship? With how close it is between McClaren and Renault (Renault has a 2 point lead), the last race will be interesting. All season Renault and McClaren have battling back and forth for the constructor's. Alonso klinched the driver championship in Brazil a couple weeks back. I was hoping he would win it over Raikkonen. This season was my first season watching every race. I watched it religiously. I've caught bits and pieces of past seasons, though. I thought it was quite exciting. I thought Michael Schumacher would have won all the races again, but it was refreshing to see he didn't. I was growing tired of seeing Ferrari taking 1-2's every time. I am going to be sad to see the season end this Sunday, but look forward to the 2006 season. Hopefully it will be just as exciting as this season was.:coolshade

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I follow it, but not nearly as closely as you do. Never seen (even on TV) a Nascar race. Been to Indy several times (the lovely Mrs_Bob was Indy Princess in 1981 and I got to do laps in the pace car holding onto her legs:) ) To me F1 seems like the ultimate in racing. The cars are pure race machines, designed for turning BOTH directions, acceleration & deceleration are critical as is endurance. Williams is a great driver, can't take anything away from Team Ferrari and Schumacher but he needs to step aside while he is on top. Any thoughts on Honda? They are taking 100% control of a team.

JayC

Huh?
I think the 2006 season is the last season specified in M. Schumacher's contract. I'm hoping he'll step aside and leave the series for other drivers. What surprised me is his team mate Rubens Barrichello is leaving Ferrari to be the No. 1 driver for Honda if I remember right. Felipe Massa will be Schumacher's new No. 2. I haven't been all the impressed with Honda. Sato isn't the best driver around, that's for sure. I'm not sure what is going to become of him when the new Barrichello-Button alliance is formed. One thing that I am concerned about next season are the new engines. They are getting rid of the 3.0 litre V10 in favor of a 2.4 litre V8. I hope that doesn't take the cars too much. I think they also want to take the series to 20 races in a season. I wouldn't complain if they did. I'd like to see another US track. Laguna Seca would make a nice spot. The corkscrew turn there, would sure be interesting. I remember hearing a couple seasons ago that the steering wheel on a F1 car cost $25000 alone. One F1 car is equal to 7 Indy cars or 8 Nascars. Really makes you think twice when you see one crash.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't hear that Ruben is heading over to the new Team Honda, but that would be a welcome addition to them. I wonder if that departure from Ferrari won't lead them to renew the Schumacher contract for another few years as the #3 driver Massa would be vaulted to #1 after Schumacher departs and that is not the strongest place for Team Ferrari to be in, leaving much more bargaining power for Schumacher should he want to stay in the game.

As for the price, no question it is outrageous, but that is the point of pushing the limits of technology, everything must be perfect and everything perfect can still be improved. Heck I remember when Nascar was touting it was the affordable way to get into professional racing, to me it is a farce. Good old boys have been replaced by big business that pretend to be good old boys. At least with F1 they don't pretend.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Good old boys have been replaced by big business that pretend to be good old boys. At least with F1 they don't pretend.

Okay, I'll give you that one. :eek: Also, if given a chance to drive either an F1 car or a NASCAR Cup car on a track for a day, I'd have to chose the F1.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Okay, I'll give you that one. :eek: Also, if given a chance to drive either an F1 car or a NASCAR Cup car on a track for a day, I'd have to chose the F1.

I actually got invited to drive a Marlboro sponsored "F1 training car" a couple years ago by a regional VP of Philip Morris. All I can say is WOW

Himself

I thought McLaren and the Iceman would take the constructors trophy. Wrong. I thought there would be a Renault and a McLaren on the podium. Right. Never thought Ralf Schumaker would be there though. The Toyota looked like it was gonna flat spot right off those bumps at the end of the straight. Wrong. 2.4l V-8 next season and will it sound as sweet as the V-10's?
Well, that's that then. That's the end of sports for me until next March. Oh, wait a minute, there's gonna be some hockey this year!

Martin

JayC

Huh?
That last race was weird. Some strange stuff happened. McClaren has had bad luck all season. Montoya's retirement from the race sealed their fate. Renault has been quite reliable. I thought sure McCalren was going to take the constructor's. I'm a bit concerned over the V8s next season. I hope that doesn't water the sport down too much. Those V10s were awesome. :17875:

Well, I used to like hockey. After this whole strike fiasco, I won't follow it anymore. Actually, the only major sport I do follow is F1.