• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Deconstructing a welded implement???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This fall I purchased a one row Cultivator.

I want to take it apart, add some parts and rebuild it as a 2 row cultivator.
The entire implement is welded together since there are no moving parts. My question is what is the best way to take it apart?

Should I cut the welds with a torch? An abrasive wheel cutter? Does it matter?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob; First send Mrs.B out of town, and get a plasma cutter!!!
Really though, if you want to save the steel, use a grinding disc and cut the welds. If you used a torch, there'd be a lot of wasted steel let alone the boogers you'd still have to grind out. It may take a little longer with the grinder, but the results will be better.:tiphat::boobies::beer:

HarleyScooter

Bob, Johnday is right. The best way is to grind lightly right down to the root of the weld, you should see the crack between the parts as a thin line. I find those very thin cutting wheels work well. Sometime a little hit with a hammer is needed, remember the weld should break easier if you hit them in a direction to fold the weld halves together. Then you can flat grind everything to clean it up. A torch will add to much heat if you try to scarf off the welds. Good luck, it just takes time.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guys, thanks. I figured a torch would make a mess of things, but as I don't own a torch I was trying to justify the purchase!!! Its been years since I used one for cutting or welding, but they can be fun. I've got the cutting tools and the grinders already. I sort of figured that a cutting wheel would be my best bet.

HarleyScooter

Bob you got me thinking, my memory must be shot, I have been retired for 4-1/2 years and I can't remember what I did for 30 years?? There is a hand held torch that is called a ARC AIR and they work the best if you have a large output welder and lots of air avaliable. You hook your welder to the torch and also compressed air. Using a copper coated carbon electrode you melt the weld and with air being pushed out of the torch jaw between the electrode and the base metal it scarfs the weld away, really slick, clean, and with out the distortion of using a oxy-ace torch. But you have to grind any carbon deposits away before you weld things back together. I have used small electrodes 5/32" at home on a 225 amp machine and it works, at work we normally used 5/16" electrodes at around 450 amps.

bontai Joe

In our fab shop, if a "boo-boo" needs to be reworked, it is ALWAYS cut apart with grinders, cutting wheels, etc. A torch removes too much metal to allow things to be put back together easily.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Joe, I stopped at the sears hardware store by my office and picked up a 6 pack of cutting disks!