• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rear or Front Blade

DAP

My dealer has Diamond (Meyer) blades for loader mounted (replace the bucket with the blade) or Landpride reat 3ph mounted blades (6 footer for 450 clams)....

Even though I bought one, tractors are designed backwards. Blading in reverse don't sit well with me ...

What's the real answer on the rear or front?

Don't need a blower just yet ....

:coolshade

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Being as I have a rear blade, let me wholeheartedly endorse a front blade for snow removal!!!

Chief

As long as you are not placing a lot of force on the front blade; front usually works better but you can bend or warp the FEL frame pushing against too much of a load or a sudden/rough contact/impact with a load. For really heavy work, I think the rear blade may be better. Back blading with a rear blade can sometimes damage ther 3 pt. hitch frame mounts as they are designed to pull and not push so be careful.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would also endorse a Front blade, since I have and use a rear one, especailly if you get a lot of snow. In SE Ohio we don't get that much. I can face the blade to the rear but go forward over my gravel drive and take care of the snow pretty easily. With the blade facing backwards it doesn't tear into my drive. The most snow I've cleared this way is 6"s. I have the blade ready but have not had to use it yet this year. :(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I have to tell you that a SNOW BLOWER is the way to go. Fast as all heck, and if you are lucky, you will be able to pelt the lovely Mrs_DAP with a plume of snow the diameter of a basketball and knock her through the front door of your house filling the foyer up with snow in the process . . . and then drive away to clear out the neighobrs driveways . . . and come back shortly after all the mess is cleaned up . . . not that I would know anything about doing that :whistle:

Archdean

DAP asked "What's the real answer on the rear or front?"

Answer: Neither...

MOVE to a place that requires none of that nonsense!! After having spent 14 years in Alaska coping with an average of nine (read 9) feet of the white stuff per season I had enough of it and sold my Bobcat 743 and 1 ton Dodge with a Western 8' front blade just to get up my mountain road and now bask in Green Country, btw we did get almost 1/4 inch the other night but by the time I got my FEL back on my tractor it had all melted :( !! Damn :D :D :D !!

Dean

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
DAP said:
Even though I bought one, tractors are designed backwards. Blading in reverse don't sit well with me ...

What's the real answer on the rear or front?

I have a rear blade that I drag behind me so I am blading while moving forward. Works pretty well but you need a heavy rear blade and some chains, and probably can't let the snow build up too high. If I lived in the NE US I'd have a snow blower. I've got a Howse 72" Farm Blade (around 400 lbs) and it works pretty good and wasn't too expensive. I wedge the up/down(?) angle adjustment open and just let it float on the pavement.

PB

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I just picked up a rear blade from TOMLESCOEQUIP Saturday. It's a light duty, but serves my purpose. Sat night we got about 3" of snow, and you know what I just had to do. I angled the blade to the first hole and took off. Once I got to where I wanted to go, I just raised it, then used the FEL to pile it up.

Last year, on a drive I'd never cleared before, I whacked the snot out of the loader when I hit a spot where one of the concrete slabs had heaved because of tree roots. Luckily I didn't screw up the FEL. Now I can use the rear blade instead, still watching that concrete though. I had been using my boxblade to drag snow, but I've found that little blade works a lot better.:coolshade:beer::smileywac

Kubota King

Big Dog -

I bought that 3 pt plate from helix on ebay in the spring & I thought I would use it but i never do:( ! I painted it kubota orange & used it 3 times with a york rake. If you want to buy it, let me know. I can post pics of it & let it go for cheap since it isnt doing me any good.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deerlope said:
Plowing snow with a rear blade makes about as much sense as having a screen door in a submarine.

That hurts... :eek: ;)
If I still lived up your way, I'd probably have a blower but around here, we don't get as much snow.

The blade/FEL combo works fine for me. We rarily get more then 6" and on the occasions we do, I just go out more often. I enjoy the seat time so I'm in no hurry.

An added benefit/reason for me to stick with the blade/FEL is that I actually clean off sections of my yard and make the biggest pile I can for the kids to play on. Hard to make a 6-10' tall pile of snow with a blower.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
Big Dog -

I bought that 3 pt plate from helix on ebay in the spring & I thought I would use it but i never do:( ! I painted it kubota orange & used it 3 times with a york rake. If you want to buy it, let me know. I can post pics of it & let it go for cheap since it isnt doing me any good.

Let's talk. I got lots a time on my hands. Your location?

gmsssi@alltel.net

Deerlope

Zoom

I had a blower until I put a 2x4 thru it and the pin did not shear. Now have a 7 1/2 blade on the FEL. What works well for you you should use.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deerlope said:
Zoom

I had a blower until I put a 2x4 thru it and the pin did not shear. Now have a 7 1/2 blade on the FEL.
OUCH :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

You may now own the most expensive 7.5' blade there is. Sorry to hear that.

GaryE

DAP,

I have a Myers plow on my F-250. I would NOT recommend one to anyone. That being said, if you have a pickup, plow with it, it has heat and a roof!!!!

I use my FEL to move piles of snow and to clear the paths, it works great. If you HAVE TO plow with your tractor, go with a front mount, your neck will thank you. As will your 3PH.

Gary

Kubota King

GE - there is some truth to your comment but for some situations, a tractor is better then a truck. In my case, at one condo complex I take care of, the driveways are way to tight to fit a truck into & the turning radius on a pick up will not make the corner (I have tried). To top it off, If we get a large amount of snow, I can pile it as high as I need to with the tractor but the truck is limited.

GaryE

KK,

I can understand your need to plow with a tractor. But it sure is nice to stay dry if you can! I grew up in Trumbull. We were far enough to the north to get mostly snow but just a few miles to the south it was rain snow mix, not fun to be working in.

Deerlope

zoom: I traded the blower for a tiller and 8 oil filters for the tractor. yep I lost big time on that deal.

Kubota King

I hear ya GE, that isnt fun to work in! In Maine, it's much colder as you know so a truck is more needed for warmth due to heat. I go Bethe, Me all the time & couldnt imagine plowing up there without a heated cab. Hopefully next winter I will buy a cab for my kubota.

GaryE

KK,

Usually the morning after the storm it is at least in the upper teens…. Balmy! Just need the sun glasses.:sun1:

Happy Plowing!

Gary