• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Real Estate Bust -Let the Blame Games Begin

Cityboy

Banned
Amazing. :pat:

Unhappy home buyer, feeling misled on price, sues agent

By DAVID STREITFELD

THE NEW YORK TIMES

CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Marty Ummel believes she paid too much for her house. So do millions of other people who bought at the peak of the housing boom.

What makes Ummel different is that she is suing her agent, saying it was all his fault.

Ummel claims that the agent hid the information that similar homes in the neighborhood were selling for less because he feared she would back out and he would lose his $30,000 commission.

Real estate lawyers and brokers say the case, which goes to trial in North County Superior Court on Monday, is likely to be the first of many in which regretful or resentful buyers seek redress from the agents who found them a home and arranged its purchase.

"When your house appreciates $100,000 in the first six months, you're not quite as concerned that maybe the valuation was $25,000 or $50,000 off," said Clifford Horner of the law firm Horner & Singer. "But when your house goes down, you ask: 'Who might have led me astray here?' "

Agents representing buyers rarely had the opportunity to make mistakes during the last real estate boom, in the late 1980s, because the job hardly existed then. For decades, residential transactions almost always involved brokers who, whatever assistance they gave the buyer, legally represented only the seller. The long boom that began in the late 1990s put an end to that one-sided world. As prices spiked, buyer's agents and brokers became popular as sounding boards, advisers and negotiators. The National Association of Realtors estimates they are now involved in two-thirds of all residential purchases.

That makes this the first housing collapse in which large numbers of buyers had a real estate professional explicitly looking after their interests. The Ummel case poses the question: In a relationship built on trust, where promises are rarely written down and where -- as in this case -- there is no signed contract, what are the exact obligations of these representatives in guiding their clients through a sizzling market?

"Agents have a lot of fiduciary duties, but they don't make money unless they close the sale," said Joel Ruben, a real estate lawyer in Manhattan Beach, Calif. "In an inflated market, there are built-in temptations to cut corners."

The defendant in the Ummel case is Mike Little, a veteran agent with ReMax Associates. He will argue that Marty Ummel, who brought the case with her husband, Vernon, is trying to shift the blame for the couple's own failures of research and due diligence.

"They simply didn't do what is expected of a knowledgeable, sophisticated buyer, and are now looking for someone other than themselves to take responsibility," Roger Holtsclaw, an agent who was hired by Little as an expert witness, said in a court deposition.

Horner, the lawyer, said valuation is a tricky area for brokers.
"Brokers aren't appraisers," said Horner, one of the writers of a guide to suing brokers. "They have no obligation to opine about value. But once they do, it becomes a gray area whether it's puffery or a misstatement of a known fact."

Most people who made a bad real estate deal might wince and move on, but people who know Marty Ummel describe her as unusually determined. She spent a year picketing ReMax offices on weekends.

Vernon Ummel, an administrator at Dominican University, gave her his permission to pursue the case, on one condition: "Don't tell me how much the legal fees are." So far, the bills come to $75,000, more than Marty Ummel's annual salary as a fundraiser at California State University-San Marcos.

"I do not think I'm obsessive-compulsive, but I am 114 pounds of absolute perseverance," Marty Ummel said.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
AS much as I hate worthless Real Estate Agents .I also think that's Great she is suing :coolshade ! If she wins this case ,this means :

WE no longer have to take responibility for our own actions !Yippee:pat:

People can just sue people for every stupid thing they do . Nobody can tell me she did not know the current prices of the surrounding homes . What a piece of poo .Was she Blonde ?? She should become a real estate agent too . Looks like they have a lot in common .
Only in America !

Would the last one leaving ,please turn out the lights ............

Trakternut

A potential buyer has the right to an independent appraisal when in the process of arriving at a purchase price of a property. No agent worth his/her salt would obstruct that. If I were buying and the agent protested such an appraisal, my boot would be planted squarely on his/her backside. I wonder if this lady also sues car dealers when they find their new ride doesn't quite do everything that's claimed.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Ummel claims that the agent hid the information that similar homes in the neighborhood were selling for less because he feared she would back out and he would lose his $30,000 commission.

Ummel is a HUGE jackass. She saw the price of the house. She had options to check out the value of other homes and the neighborhood. She didnt. She liked what she saw and bought it. Period. The stupidity never seems to end. :pat:
Hell wait until she finds out that the roof will wear out! And the cement will crack thus devaluating her home! :4_11_9:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't most banks REQUIRE an independent appraisal before writing the loan? On the real estate dealings I've had the bank has sent out appraisers! I guess I don't understand the basis of this lawsuit. If the property was appraised at a price, and that appraisal was accepted by all parties (including the buyer/seller/mortgage lender), then what is the basis for the suit?

I understand the bottom fell out of the WHOLE market and all the prices in the region went down. How is the R.E. agent responsible for that?

And if there are 'similar' houses in the area that sold for less, then why the hell didn't the buyer buy one of those?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Anybody can sue anyone for any amount but thankfully that does not mean they will collect anything................ In this case the real estate agent should be able to counter sue against the buyer and recoup all expenses incurred to defend himself plus a lot for inconvience..........

Would it not be great if we were all paid for all of our dumb mistakes, hell I would be a billonaire.....:yum:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Don't most banks REQUIRE an independent appraisal before writing the loan? On the real estate dealings I've had the bank has sent out appraisers! I guess I don't understand the basis of this lawsuit. If the property was appraised at a price, and that appraisal was accepted by all parties (including the buyer/seller/mortgage lender)

Property appraisel is a very subjective business. In rare instances you'll see an appraisel stray from the sales price. If you look closely enough it had become a situation where the appraiser was trying to justify the sales price as opposed to finding a real value. We have worked with many over the years and several became friends and we would talk about the general attitude of the industry. I was interesting some of the things our appraiser friends would share with us about some of thier questionable collegues. The other thing is that appraisels reflect the current sales market. You know the old saying about something only being worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. My house in Florida back in fall of 2005 appraised at over $850k. The appraisel for the recent sale came in $300k less. How the hell does that happen. Market conditions. I'm not saying that that this lady isn't an idiot. People got so caught up in getting what they wanted that they lost sight of reality. Buyers, sellers, agents, lenders, appraisers, home inspectors, pest inspectors etc., they all participated in feeding the fire. Some with unscrupulous intentions and some not. People were buying things they had no business buying. Everybody wanted the deal done and each had thier own reasons and all of those reasons were tied to money.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I think the Buyer beware rule will win out. The Lady obviously was more interested in haveing the house than worring about whether or not she could afford it, and I don't mean just the mortgage payment.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Property appraisel is a very subjective business. In rare instances you'll see an appraisel stray from the sales price. If you look closely enough it had become a situation where the appraiser was trying to justify the sales price as opposed to finding a real value. We have worked with many over the years and several became friends and we would talk about the general attitude of the industry. I was interesting some of the things our appraiser friends would share with us about some of thier questionable collegues. The other thing is that appraisels reflect the current sales market. You know the old saying about something only being worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. My house in Florida back in fall of 2005 appraised at over $850k. The appraisel for the recent sale came in $300k less. How the hell does that happen. Market conditions. I'm not saying that that this lady isn't an idiot. People got so caught up in getting what they wanted that they lost sight of reality. Buyers, sellers, agents, lenders, appraisers, home inspectors, pest inspectors etc., they all participated in feeding the fire. Some with unscrupulous intentions and some not. People were buying things they had no business buying. Everybody wanted the deal done and each had thier own reasons and all of those reasons were tied to money.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I think the Buyer beware rule will win out. The Lady obviously was more interested in haveing the house than worring about whether or not she could afford it, and I don't mean just the mortgage payment.

Very well said Cowboyjg. :applause: :thumb:

This also helps all of these people involved to have a good paying job. I believe greed drives many imarkets into this type of situation. It the housing market drops so does their income. One supports the other and each wants more including the buyers who think they will get rich on a resale of the property they are buying because it always appreciates. Now it will be the blame game of throwing sticks and stones at each other and no one will take responsibility. Any government bail out is going to cost the people who have shown financial responsibility more in taxes and the ones who get bailed out have another win to chalk up. It just does not seem fair for the honest ones but that is the way our government system seems to function now to preserve their own paychecks.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Amazing. :pat:

"I do not think I'm obsessive-compulsive, but I am 114 pounds of absolute perseverance," Marty Ummel said.

That works out to 114 pounds of stupid is as stupid does... Maybe if she put that much effort into getting a part time job, she could pay off her house sooner...