• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Civil War Discussion Forum

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Tourist first brought up the idea of a forum dedicated to the American Civil War. Others have shown a bit of interest in the topic and suggested they have things to share.
While I am interested and would like to learn more about that time period, I don't have much to offer other than this forum to enhance the discussion.

I think this could be a very interesting forum. Time will tell if I'm right. :)

The Tourist

Banned
I think this could be a very interesting forum. Time will tell if I'm right.

I found it a great idea because it's a change of pace.

Not every forum has to be a "slam bang" of jokes and pokes and silly come-backs. Many times I like to peruse a forum for discussion just like I would like to read a good book.

Further, I like history. And here is a chance to delve deeper into a condition that happened right here in America, among Americans. And it's a piece of history that throws a long shadow into events of our own present day.

And as for Doc, a forum of this type need not be only about The Civil War. There are numerous historical topics. Imagine a forum about The Vietnam War! Think of the exchange between the people who fought, and those born after the conflict.

The Civil War simply is my interest. Imagine a forum called "HistoryNetStop."

Each section could represent a time in history.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Two more items

#1 Is an original photo of a veteran's reunion at Devil's Den at Gettysburg.

#2 Is a photo, CDV, and signature of General Lew Wallace, a fair commander but an interesting character. He was the Judge Advocate at the trial of Major Wirtz the commandant of Andersonville Prison in Georgia and the only Southern Officer tried and, in my opinion wrongly, hung for war crimes.

Lew Wallace was the governor of New Mexico who promised to pardon Billy the Kid.

Lew Wallace is also the author of Ben Hur.

Attachments

• Devil's den reunion (Medium).jpg
    Devil's den reunion (Medium).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 92
  • lew Wallace (Medium).jpg
    lew Wallace (Medium).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 91

The Tourist

Banned
I'm looking forward to some great debates, myself. Having a history column within a forum is a unique idea. I don't think many places use that.

And the CW is a great idea for a forum that underlines truly American ideals. The events before and after the CW shaped our present life in ways we might never imagine.

The very idea of 'innovation' soars during a war. Due to the fantastic amount of medical care needed--most of it primitive and unsuccessful--the idea of cleanliness, cross-contamination and serious research into "germs" began.

Additionally, our elected officials were at their best and worst. There was mass migration, new innovations in farming, refining of firearms. The expansion of railroads.

When it comes to the CW, you could pick any mundane topic you can imagine, and it evolved. It was either a problem solved or benefit perfected due to the CW.