• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

!!! StarbuXX $$ !!

Ray

Ok So I have never been to Starbucks...So what. So...We'll give her a try...So off the street up kingwood drive I go..

Hmmmmm maybe I am just a dumn of country boy....But I just don't get it....

If I said to ya'll, "I got mahself a great idea for a business. I'll open a whole
new type of coffee shop. Instead of charging 60 cents for coffee I'm gonna charge
$2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50.

Not only that, I'll have no tables, no chairs,
no water, no free refills, no waiters, no busboys, serve it in cardboard cups,
and have folks clean it up their own crap after they're finished."

Would ya'll say, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard!

We can open a chain of these all over the world!"

Nope, ya'll would put my Coonass butt right into a nuthouse.

And guess what.........it's burnt coffee!

It's burnt coffee at Starbuck's, be honest about it.

If you get burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you'd call Da Law.... Slap the waitress, kiss off your tip babe. BTW Waffle house had coffee that puts Starbucks to shame. 60 cents a cup. You can get as many refills as you want....after a while, they will even bring you a bucket to save trips to the Mens room.....

You say, "It's the bottom of the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot. But when it's burnt at Starbuck's, they say, "Oh, it's a special roast.

It's a special bean from Argentina...."

Special bean my ass! ...........

I know burnt!

You want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents.

But at Starbuck's, if it's Cafe Latte: $3.50. Cafe Creamier: $4.50.
Caffe Suisse: $9.50. For each French word, another $4.00. Why does a little
cream in coffee make it worth $3.50?

Go into any coffee shop; they'll give ya all the cream you want until you're blue in the face. 40 million people are walking around in coffee shops with pitchers of cream: "Here's all the cream you want!"

And it's still 60 cents. Ya wanna know why?

Because it's called "coffee."

You want cinnamon in your coffee?

Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop; they'l give you all the cinnamon you want.

Do they ask you for more money because it's
cinnamon?

It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee as for coffee without
cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it.

Now in Louisiana you have choice of regular or chicory.

Decaf if for the fellers that are light in the loafers and in most parishes its against the law.

But back to the Cinammon stuff. Thats whats here in Kingwood..

But not in Starbucks.

Over there, it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50.

You want a refill in a regular coffee shop, they'll give you all the refills you want until you drop dead.

You can come in when you're 27 and keep drinking coffee until you're 98.

And they'll start beggin' ya

"Here, Ya want more coffee?"

Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks?

Jesch a refill is a $1.50, two refills, $4.50. Three refills, $19.50. So, for four cups of coffee - $35.00.

And there're no chairs in those Starbucks. Instead, they got these high
stools. Ya'll ever see these stools? Ya'll haven't been on a chair that high since you were two.

Seventy-three year old Kingwood yuppies are climbing and climbing to get to the top of the chair.

Some started yesterday and were still there this mornin' And when they get to the top, they can't even drink the coffee because there's 12 people around one little table, and everybody's sayin'

"Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me... "

Jeeesch all this polite sweetness was giving me cavities. Get the hell out of the way you old buzzard I need to stir some sugar before they charge me...

The rest of the poor ol Yuppies.......jeeesch they can't get off the damn chair.

The day before Kingwood yuppies were askin me "Mister, could you get me off this?"

Do any of ya'll remember what a cafeteria was?

In poor neighborhoods all over folks went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no service.

And so poor folks (I are one) could save money on a tip.

Cafeterias didn't have regular tables or chairs either.

They gave coffee to you in a cardboard cup.
..........So because of that you paid less for the coffee.

You got less, so you paid less.

It's all the same at Starbucks - no chairs, no service, a cardboard cup for
your coffee - except in Starbucks, the less you get, the more it costs. By the time they give you nothin', it's worth four times as much!
So ya'll think I'm exaggeratin'?

Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbuck's?

Buy a cookie in a regular coffee shop. You can tear down a building with that cookie.

And the whole cookie is 60 cents.

At Starbuck's, you're going to have to hire a detective to find that cookie, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because they want extra. (Remember Butter is heart healthy. It lubes ya up)

Do you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for cream cheese in Starbuck's?

Cream cheese, another 60 Cents.

A knife to put it on, 32 cents. If it reaches the bagel, 48 cents. That bagel costs you $3.12. And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese. They don't give it to you. They tell you where it is. "Oh, you want butter? It's over there. Cream cheese? Over here. Carry your fat ass over ther and git it if you want it..That will be .75cents for tellin' you where it is...Sugar? Sugar is here."

Now you become your own waiter.

You walk around with a tray.

"I'll take the
cookie. Where's the butter? The butter's here. Here's the cream cheese? The cream cheese is there." You walked around for an hour and a half selectin' stuff,
.........and then the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says

"Tips."

Its a good thing that lil' turd was watchin' me or I woulda put it in my pocket...

Jeeesch!!!

You're waiting on tables for an hour, and you owe him money?

Then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished.

They don't give you a waiter or a busboy.

Now you've become the janitor.

Now you are 'sposed to start cleanin' up the place. There were some Kingwood Yupiies who fell off the chairs that were walkin' around cleanin' up Starbuck's.

"Oh, he's got dirt too? Wait, I'll clean this up." They clean up
the place for an hour and a half.

Starbuck's can only get away with it
because they have French titles for everything.

Well I guess I am partially French. Or more accurately Coonass.
Coffee should be 60 cents a cup. With or without chickory.
Refills should come till you pee once a minute.

FREE

Starbucks can kiss it where the sun don't shine.

I'm not goin' back.

I must be gettin old and grouchy.

I am definitly not "with it"

Tommorow.......

Its Waffle house. Coffee and cream till I mooooo. 60 cents.

I think I'll even leave the gal a 2 buck tip.

:fart2::beer::1062::bonk::myopinion:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your on a roll Ray. And you are right. I sure don't get it. I don't care for their coffee either. Give me the 60 cent cup from any diner over a 4 buck cafe late anyday. Even if the prices were equal I'd pick the 60 cent one.
Starbucks is like a mouse trap for young yuppies ....and it catches them in droves. :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd say that is an unfair criticism of Starbucks, it certainly does not show knowledge of the product they serve, nor their pricing.

The real story with Starbucks is much like the real story of Harley Davidson or Rolex.

Starbucks sells a lifestyle.
H-D sells a lifestyle.
Rolex sells a lifestyle.

The coffee at Starbucks doesn't cost $2.50 to $5.50. The fancy drinks with coffee bases do run that price schedule. There is a difference.

So people go into Starbucks and they buy themselves $3 worth of tranquility, $3 worth of luxury, $3 worth of personal piece that lasts them for 15 minutes during which they have existed the stress of the real world problems, the kids screaming from the back seat, etc.

Want a good watch, buy an RGM. Handmade, true craftsmen who build it to order (3 to 4 month lead time), real quality. But nobody knows what an RGM watch is. Nobody has heard of the brand. Still its among the best watches in the world. On the other hand, Rolex sells you prestige that others appreciate. http://www.rgmwatches.com/

dzalphakilo

Banned
Been to Starbucks one or two times in my life.

Not bad coffee, but the first hint about the place in when you have these fancy words for "small", "medium" and "large".

I asked for a large cup of coffee at Starbucks, but the person behind the counter informed me that it's a "grande" or something like that because they don't have a "large".

I then told the counter person in my words of wisdom how I would like that large cup of coffee, and havent been back.

Guess it's not my "lifestyle"..

Don't get me going on Hooters...

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hooters and starbucks, love them both! I get starbucks cards for gifts!@ Yeah they cost a bit more, but great coffee..............and I dont care for the "specials", just strong coffee, bold, stout whatever you call it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd say that is an unfair criticism of Starbucks, it certainly does not show knowledge of the product they serve, nor their pricing.

The real story with Starbucks is much like the real story of Harley Davidson or Rolex.

H-D sells a lifestyle.
Rolex sells a lifestyle.

The coffee at Starbucks doesn't cost $2.50 to $5.50. The fancy drinks with coffee bases do run that price schedule. There is a difference.

So people go into Starbucks and they buy themselves $3 worth of tranquility, $3 worth of luxury, $3 worth of personal piece that lasts them for 15 minutes during which they have existed the stress of the real world problems, the kids screaming from the back seat, etc.

Want a good watch, buy an RGM. Handmade, true craftsmen who build it to order (3 to 4 month lead time), real quality. But nobody knows what an RGM watch is. Nobody has heard of the brand. Still its among the best watches in the world. On the other hand, Rolex sells you prestige that others appreciate. http://www.rgmwatches.com/

I am going to get my piece and tranquility from saving the $2 to $3 bucks and get my coffee that even tastes and smells better from McDonalds. While I am there I may just take a peek in the playground area and be thankful none are mine and walk out with a smile on my face and a couple extra bucks in my pocket. :thumb:

Bob, just different strokes for different folks....:poke:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am not a coffee drinker. But at a seminar in Vegas 4 years ago they discussed Starbucks and the big nation wide taste test they did. Folgers won over everybody and Starbucks was on the bottom of the taste test. Just in the last 2 weeks on TV was a story on Starbucks. They are going to change the way they do business and are going to close a lot of sites as they are not doing well.

murph

Cityboy

Banned
Would you guys believe that Hooters and Starbucks will continue to be profitable whether you go there or not? It's called supply and demand. It's the same principal wherein professional athletes earn millions of dollars for playing sports.

I think class envy enters into this equation for people who poopoo businesses like these. I think it just pisses them off that someone thought of the idea before they did and acted on it. Jealous of the success of these establishments, perhaps? Some people choose to patronize these establishments and enjoy themselves, and others choose to piss and moan about these establishments and their patrons. Why? Just don't go there. Waffle House is open 24/7 with an endless supply of partially hydrogenated vegitable oil and 60 cent coffee and white female waitresses who vote Democrat. Enjoy! :wave:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Would you guys believe that Hooters and Starbucks will continue to be profitable whether you go there or not? It's called supply and demand. It's the same principal wherein professional athletes earn millions of dollars for playing sports. :wave:

At least I have the satisfaction of knowing I am not helping their bottom line. :puke1: As it does sound now, they are not as financially healthy as you and many others believe. If the economy dumps :shitHitFan: as may happen in the near future, then many of these high dollar joints will suffer much more than the ones that have reasonable pricing, good products and good customer service.

The pro athletes may also be in for a rude awakening when the democrats gain total control, raise taxes, promote more welfare programs, increase energy costs to promote conservation, and generally force the this countries economy in to 2nd or 3rd world status.:4_11_9:

Your turn cityboy...:poke:

dzalphakilo

Banned
I think class envy enters into this equation for people who poopoo businesses like these.

Don't think class envy has anything to do with it. Starbucks, although good coffee, not worth the price IMO so I don't go there. I don't go anywhere out of my way for coffee for the most part.

Hooters? No envy, but if I'm going to a restaurant, I'm going for food. If I want to look at T&A, I'll go to a strip club. The ONE time I did go to hooters with a buddy (who HAD to go there) I told the waitress that I didn't come there to have small talk with her and look at her tits (she sat down at our table just started talking to us being "buddy buddy" all of a sudden) I came for the food (although my buddy at the time wa a different story). Talk about working for a tip.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think class envy enters into this equation for people who poopoo businesses like these. I think it just pisses them off that someone thought of the idea before they did and acted on it. Jealous of the success of these establishments, perhaps?

You are way off CB. I just don't care for their coffee. Simple as that. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and if I had the opportunity to start a business that could make cash hand over fist charging premium prices...heck yeah, I'd love to be in on it. Wouldn't you? That is not jealousy or envy. That is just wishing you had that idea. Then you move on and think of more important realistic things.

All waitresses do not vote democrat. I know that for a fact. You like to categorize everyone into your little niches for whatever reason.

Cityboy

Banned
Don't think class envy has anything to do with it.

Of course it does. People love to diss pro athletes and successful businesses because it makes them feel better about their misreable little lives. Just look how many times Starbucks has been discussed here at FF. And like Skurka said, people always seem to get the prices incorrect. a Vente (large for you DZ) coffee at Starbucks here costs $1.80. A little pricey compared to Waffle House coffee, but people who tend to like Folgers, Maxwell House and Waffle House coffee are the same people who prefer lite watered down beer over a quality brew like Samuel Adams or Paulaner Oktoberfest . Some people simply have a more distinguished sense of taste than others.

If you prefer lite beer and Folgers over the better quality and more expensive brews, hey, it's your money. Buy what you want. But it is revealing that people don't just buy the cheaper products and be happy with their choices, they have to go one step further and critcize the product choices of others who are willing to pay more. What else could it be other than pure, simple envy?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Most fun I ever had at a Starbucks was at the Sea-Tac airport. I ordered a large (large dammit, not that grande crap) coffee, black. The staff and everyone around stared at me like I had just ordered a small child, stir fried with extra hot peppers. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Of course it does. People love to diss pro athletes and successful businesses because it makes them feel better about their misreable little lives. Just look how many times Starbucks has been discussed here at FF. And like Skurka said, people always seem to get the prices incorrect. a Vente (large for you DZ) coffee at Starbucks here costs $1.80. A little pricey compared to Waffle House coffee, but people who tend to like Folgers, Maxwell House and Waffle House coffee are the same people who prefer lite watered down beer over a quality brew like Samuel Adams or Paulaner Oktoberfest . Some people simply have a more distinguished sense of taste than others.

If you prefer lite beer and Folgers over the better quality and more expensive brews, hey, it's your money. Buy what you want. But it is revealing that people don't just buy the cheaper products and be happy with their choices, they have to go one step further and critcize the product choices of others who are willing to pay more. What else could it be other than pure, simple envy?

To each his own. Why can't you accept that. It is not envy. I don't envy anyone who buys starbucks. Get over yourself CB. You come off as if you think you are smarter and better because you buy more expensive coffee and more expensive beer. Yawn. I could care less. I buy what I want. This is a discussion forum. Just because someone discusses what they like or dislike does not mean they 'envy' the ones who like somethingn else. :pat:

Your sig is obnoxious. Change it please.

Cityboy

Banned
I ordered a large (large dammit, not that grande crap) coffee, black....

It's venti, not grande, you silly transplanted West Virginia red neck tard. :poke:

In Oklahoma, when I ask for a large, and the cute little chicklette says you mean "venti", I just say, ", yeah, gimme one dem Italian words for a biggun"
icon10.gif
. Always gets a smile from a pretty Oklahoma girl.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Actually, at many Starbucks they don't even stock the "small" coffee cups anymore. If you order a "small" coffee they'll often just give you the "medium" size at the small price. YMMV.

BoneheadNW

Most fun I ever had at a Starbucks was at the Sea-Tac airport. I ordered a large (large dammit, not that grande crap) coffee, black. The staff and everyone around stared at me like I had just ordered a small child, stir fried with extra hot peppers. :yum:
You were in my neighborhood and didn't call?:cry:
Bone

Cityboy

Banned
To each his own.

Precisely! :thumb:

Why can't you accept that.

Accept what? :confused2:

It is not envy.

OK, if you say so. :tiphat:

I don't envy anyone who buys starbucks. Get over yourself CB. You come off as if you think you are smarter and better because you buy more expensive coffee and more expensive beer.

How you came to the conclusion that you know what I think is beyond reason. I could easily conclude that those of you who continually bash Starbucks think that YOU think you are better and smarter than those who choose to buy Starbucks coffee. I'm responding to the Starbuck bashers.

As to expensive beer, I rarely drink any alcohol. I used to, but I've had maybe a 12-pak in the last 4-5 years. This was a simple comparison that holds true, hence your response.

Yawn. I could care less. I buy what I want.

Me too! What a coinky-dink! :thumb:

This is a discussion forum. Just because someone discusses what they like or dislike does not mean they 'envy' the ones who like somethingn else. :pat:

That's what I thought, but YOU said I need to "get over myself" when I presented MY OPINION. What's up with that?

Your sig is obnoxious. Change it please.

Doc, you are the money behind FF, and therefore the "Lord God Almighty Apparent" and forum owner. If you wish to dictate what my signature says, it is your 100% right to do so. If that is the way you wish to operate FF, so be it. I can either change it or face banishment, right?

But the point of my signature is that some people here need to relax and stop taking themselves so seriously. I'm just having fun and some laughs. I have the ability to dish it out, and the humility to take it back with grace and humor. Discussion is a TWO-WAY street.

Like YOU said...."This is a discussion forum". People voice their opinions here, and everyone does not always agree with each other. If FF becomes 100% warm, fuzzy and agreeable, that is the day it begins to die. It's YOUR forum. You choose if that is what you want.

So, my question to you is, "Is changing my signature a condition of my FF membership?"

Cityboy

Banned

H-D sells a lifestyle.
Rolex sells a lifestyle.

Skurka basically is saying the same thing I said.

So, does Skurka need to "get over himself" too? :confused2:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Would you guys believe that Hooters and Starbucks will continue to be profitable whether you go there or not? It's called supply and demand.

Part of the article I saw on TV was the supply was there but the demand is getting fewer and farther between. With the economy the way it is less and less people are buying the more expensive coffee. Three years ago if I was a coffee drinker Starbucks would have been where I would have gone. But today with my finances that would have been one place I would have cut.

murph

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How you came to the conclusion that you know what I think is beyond reason.

All you have to do is read you own words. Simple.

As to expensive beer, I rarely drink any alcohol. I used to, but I've had maybe a 12-pak in the last 4-5 years. This was a simple comparison that holds true, hence your response.

Oh, I see. You were BS'ing. It might hold true in your own world, but most of us understand the people and their beer preference cannot be pigeon holed so easily.

I can either change it or face banishment, right?
yeah, you could put it that way.

But the point of my signature is that some people here need to relax and stop taking themselves so seriously.
That would be a much better signature:
some people here need to relax and stop taking themselves so seriously.

Your current sig:
"Aw damnit, I was just playing. Lighten up & apply some Preparation "H". It'll be OK."

implies that you are a dick or a hemroid on peoples asses. Obnoxious. Not in good taste.

So, my question to you is, "Is changing my signature a condition of my FF membership?"

Yep, if you care to remain a member in good standing you will change it.

Cityboy

Banned
Part of the article I saw on TV was the supply was there but the demand is getting fewer and farther between. With the economy the way it is less and less people are buying the more expensive coffee. Three years ago if I was a coffee drinker Starbucks would have been where I would have gone. But today with my finances that would have been one place I would have cut.

murph

This is true of many businesses as a part of the economic cycle within any economy. It is as if people are cheering for the demise of Starbucks just as many cheer for the demise of Microsoft, or whatever business emerges as the new 800 pound gorilla in any particular industry. People always want to see the leader get knocked down.

Just like many other countries of the world would like to see the U.S. get knocked down a notch or two. Misery loves company.

Cityboy

Banned
All you have to do is read you own words. Simple.

Wrong. You win the battle of my signature, but you are wrong otherwise. Here is EXACTLY what I said:

How you came to your conclusion based on this post is beyond me. Why in the world a statement like this would upset you or anyone else is amazing. What I pointed out is that most people who do not like Starbucks are not content to simply not shop there, they seem to have to take a step further and critcize the business and its patrons.

Look at your own words, Doc:

Your on a roll Ray. And you are right. I sure don't get it. I don't care for their coffee either. Give me the 60 cent cup from any diner over a 4 buck cafe late anyday. Even if the prices were equal I'd pick the 60 cent one.
Starbucks is like a mouse trap for young yuppies ....and it catches them in droves. :D

As I pointed out, you, like many people, could not simply stop with saying that you choose not to shop there, you felt compelled to make the yuppie mouse trap statement, clearly implying these people who choose to shop at Starbucks are idiots. This is my whole point in this thread. Yet, you took offense to it to the point of threatening my membership because of my signature. :pat:

All of us have opinions. Some people like to buy Rolex watches for $10,000 and they don't understand why someone would pay $2.00 for a cup of coffee. Some people are willing to pay $5.00 for a desert coffee and cannot comprehend why someone would spend $$thousands on a watch.

As for me, I am amazed that people can get upset about a discussion about coffee.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am going to get my piece and tranquility from saving the $2 to $3 bucks and get my coffee that even tastes and smells better from McDonalds. While I am there I may just take a peek in the playground area and be thankful none are mine and walk out with a smile on my face and a couple extra bucks in my pocket. :thumb:

Bob, just different strokes for different folks....:poke:

Thanks that is exactly the point I was trying to make.

Successful companies target their marketing to specific types of customers. Harley-Davidson sells a lot of their motorcycles to the mid-40's successful accountants and others who "dream" of the open road. Like I previously said, its a lifestyle company. Starbucks sells a little bit of tranquility a cup at a time, its clearly not the type of coffee that appeals to everyone but it is a choice that appeals to some more because of the image than the taste. Rolex doesn't make the most expensive, exclusive, best, or even an innovative watch, but they do offer a recognizable watch that people wear to show a perception of status, wealth and power.

People tend to trash Starbucks with generalizations about price, but forget that Starbucks doesn't sell price.

People tend to trash Rolex with as being a brand that is not the best, but forget that Rolex doesn't actually sell watches, they sell an image.

People tend to trash H-D because the bikes had a reputation of leaking oil and breaking down, but H-D doesn't actually sell bikes, they sell a lifestyle.

We all make choices in life. Rolex is a darn good watch, I begrudge nobody who owns one, but I choose not to own one. H-D makes a good motorcycle, it is an icon on the open road; I have a scooter that suits me fine. :biker: Starbucks, personally I don't like their coffee, but I do enjoy the peace and quite I get with an occasional cup; McDonald's is a good cup too, but the kids crying in the store and the hustle and bustle of the local McDonald's can't compare to the escape found inside a big leather chair in the tranquil Starbucks.

:my2cents: