• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tuckers in Nashua, NH

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
:clap: Awesome. I've been keeping an ear to the ground for while trying to find one of those around up there. It's excellent you knew where one was hiding before it disappeared forever.:clap:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Davenet,Pretty amazed myself that it still existed!! The people i bought it off gave me a copy of the Boston globe with the big "IKE" poster picture in it. Im not sure if its related ,but in the Pycolog picture it talks about a Mr Deming in Plymouth. When i was a kid 50's-60's there was Deming Chevrolet in Plymouth,the local Chevy dealer.When i bought my first "NEW" Chevy truck in 1973 ,Deming Chevrolet was then owned by the Lenentine family.Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres a couple of pictures my wife took today,i was just hanging around in the first one !:biggrin:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

heres the builders plate and engine with the correct serial number!! pretty amazing after all these years!!

original.jpg

original.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that's just pretty cool Loggah!

Not very often an old machine from way back is mentioned in a thread and is bought by a member and posted up in that very thread!:wow:

Must mean it was meant to be:wink:..

You definately have the old iron bug, as so many of us here do! :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
This is probably the lightest piece of "OLD IRON" i own !!!:biggrin::biggrin:I thought it was an amazing coincidence myself to find the same machine that was in the articles posted. Heres a few of the other old iron pieces. Don

original.jpg

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, Just what I thought..... :cool:

I saw that big oliver in another photo and began to wonder about the tucker bug.

that tucker is going to be like the only can of Bud light in My refrigerator.... every one goes to the fridge, opens the door, sees it, pauses in reach, and generally they grab a real beer ( pabst, Schlitz, Old style ect....) then silently think to themselves about the sanity of the host for having that single Crappy can of (light) beer.

I think that machine will fit in quite nice, if (its bigger step siblings leave it alone)

If you need a foster home, Put kaukauna WI on the list. ( we have good beer!)

What a great thread! Interesting history here - Nice find loogah!

I love the name plate with the lubrication chart, anybody know the last year they did this.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
What a great thread! Interesting history here - Nice find loogah!

I love the name plate with the lubrication chart, anybody know the last year they did this.[/QUOTE

thinking Tucker changed the ID tags in '52, though, the '53 torpedo has a cut down, factory installed, using only the top portion, and the '54's all have the later style

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I have found out a bit more about the eastern tucker dealership,David Greggs office was in Merrimac, and i found out the Tuckers were sent by Rail to Nashua ,and then stored in a warehouse of the White Mountain Freezer Co. The White Mountain Freezer co. manufactured the hand crank ice cream makers that were used in homes before ice cream became available in every store.Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i picked up an interesting picture off E-bay this week. The picture is of an early Tucker on Echo Lake in Franconia Notch in New Hampshire.The picture is an associated press photo that was published in the Boston Herald newspaper Jan.10 1952.I used a jewelers loup and under the address "sno-cat corp. of N.H. there is the word Plymouth with the number 6.This would be the 6th machine sold by this company.The caption is on the back of the photo. Don

original.jpg

original.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Well i picked up an interesting picture off E-bay this week. The picture is of an early Tucker on Echo Lake in Franconia Notch in New Hampshire.The picture is an associated press photo that was published in the Boston Herald newspaper Jan.10 1952.I used a jewelers loup and under the address "sno-cat corp. of N.H. there is the word Plymouth with the number 6.This would be the 6th machine sold by this company.The caption is on the back of the photo. Don

original.jpg

original.jpg

great period photo and thank you for sharing, fyi, the style of the nose on this tucker was used from 1948 to 1953, it is not the 6 th machine built, there was 1 built in 1944 and 4 in 1945 and the 6 th one was built in 1946 and it was a 424 with a all steel body, not sure what the number 6 refers to. more info and i may be able to help solve the mystery. again thanks for sharing such a great early tucker photo, tuckerville

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oh, if you are referring to sno cats of N H selling it 6th snow cat, they had already sold far more than that by the time this machine was built, tuckerville

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I was referring to it being the 6th machine sold by the N.H. dealer,mostly because i was told they numbered the machines as they sold them,and this photo has a number 6 under the address.I know when the photo was taken ,but i dont know when the sno-cat was actually made.How can you tell when it was built? any identifying style changes. The machine i own had a number 3 on it and i was pretty sure it was the 3rd one sold by the N.H. dealer. Don

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
okay, after going though my tucker files, I find the following, your tucker 149059, was the 9 th tucker that David A Gregg/Sno-Cat corporation of NH bought, next, Gregg/Sno-cat corp of NH, bought a total of 4 torpedos, all were 1949's and i believe the one in your photo is 149058, because, it was sold to the tram company, also, by this time, there had been 5 trailers purchased also, hope that is of some help. fun figuring out history and the story it tells. tuckerville

Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks ,Thats great info!!!!!looks like Gregg was busy selling at that time !! I found out about a Tucker Torpedo and Trailer thats about 5 miles from me. The machine is not for sale ,but maybe the guy that owns it will let me check out the S/N!! I also heard that Greggs demo tucker might still be around tarped over in storage.:smile::smile:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
you are most welcome, sure would like to learn more about the torpedo w/trailer good luck in talking with the owner, and a demo, that is exciting to hear about that one. anytime tuckerville can help, just ask, thanks and tucker forward

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My guess is the Cannon Torpedo is the 6th unit sold by the Plymouth division and Nashua did the same on their units as evidenced on the first page.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
okay, after going though my tucker files, I find the following, your tucker 149059, was the 9 th tucker that David A Gregg/Sno-Cat corporation of NH bought, next, Gregg/Sno-cat corp of NH, bought a total of 4 torpedos, all were 1949's and i believe the one in your photo is 149058, because, it was sold to the tram company, also, by this time, there had been 5 trailers purchased also, hope that is of some help. fun figuring out history and the story it tells. tuckerville

Maybe he had demo units that were still owned by SCCofNH and the 49 Torpedo to Cannon was the 6th one actually sold to a customer??:ermm::unsure: But that's still a lot of inventory to have on hand so early in the company's history (since they had bought 13 and this Torpedo must have been pre-sold / custom built since the factory paperwork shows Cannon as the end user). But, if you are going to run with the big dogs, er, cats . . . :yum:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
From what i have been finding on the internet and pictures here and there ,it seems the low number machines said Plymouth on them and later ones said Nashua. I wonder if Deming got bought out. I got new tires and rims and put them on the front axle today,i had to torch the old bearings off . :smile: One thing done !!!!! now i got to get to work on my steering. Anyone know what the correct steering cable diameter is? my broken cables were two different sizes!!! Thanks. Don

Last edited:

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
I helped created a monster! that Lombard cab isn't ever going to get done! :yum:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
From what i have been finding on the internet and pictures here and there ,it seems the low number machines said Plymouth on them and later ones said Nashua. I wonder if Deming got bought out. I got new tires and rims and put them on the front axle today,i had to torch the old bearings off . :smile: One thing done !!!!! now i got to get to work on my steering. Anyone know what the correct steering cable diameter is? my broken cables were two different sizes!!! Thanks. Don

i can give a sample cable to scott and have him send it out to you, fyi, i have the sister machine to yours, last '48 built and yours is the first 422 '49 built only 3 serial numbers apart and were in the shop and built at the same time. some tucker karma.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve,The Lombard cab is all done,just not going to put it on this winter. You been crusing the streets of Anchorage in your snow trac??:biggrin::biggrin: Jinn, Thats pretty neat that these machines are still around and only 3 numbers apart.:smile: I was just curious if the cables were 1/4" or 5/16" in diameter. I figure i will go with the largest diameter that will fit in the pulleys. I'm going to wish my machine was a 423 model be a lot easier for a 6'4" 285 lb. guy to work on with that extra door !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Don

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
An early shot from Gunstock (Mt. Belknap)

Attachments

• fritziebaer.jpg
    fritziebaer.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 374

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's I pic I saw today up in the miester hut top of cranmore.

Eastern distributors concord nh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 311