• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time to invest contest

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Cali, give me a little hope here, I'm bleeding to death. I was hoping for a banking rebound with the Feds throwing money around
I wish I had better news!

There are huge unknowns. Nobody really knows what happened to the economy and how to get the downward slide turned around. Everyone woke up one morning and discovered they couldn't get loans for working capital. (To vastly oversimplify!) Or for car loans, or to refi the house, or to place an order overseas. Suddenly nobody trusted the reliability of commercial paper so the house of cards collapsed.

I think the present stimulus measures, both as started in the Bush administration and continued by Obama, are better than doing nothing. But it will be for the historians to tell us whether they really softened the downturn. We are sure to see some tactical mistakes and mis-allocations such as subsidizing building inefficient cars. It's almost like war strategy except political pressures are more of an an input to the decisionmaking. Expect to see some dumb projects whose purpose is only to sustain employment in the worst hit, or most politically powerful, states. I hope that a lot of the money goes into infrastructure like it did under WPA so we have something to show for it.

Nationalization of banks, auto manufacturers, etc is a last ditch defense against letting them fail and shutting down operation. It's a clear sign how bad things are that government ownership is even on the table for discussion. The way I see it, if a large company's management has run its share value down past zero, wiped out the equity of everyone invested in the company (and probably its suppliers as well), no new investors can be found, and the management still wants government handouts to keep the doors open, then those handouts buy the entire company and it is in effect nationalized. Some of the banks are in this situation but the reality is papered over. I hope it doesn't come to this for many industries, and I hope if it does that government can turn the companies into something they can soon sell to willing investors, recover the taxpayers costs, and get the heck out.

I think it's still better to handle mortgage guarantees for example through an insolvent nationalized bank that remains intact, than to set up a new bureaucracy under say Homeland Security and let them learn how to do the same task. Remember Brownie? How long would it take to get a new government agency up to speed, and could it match the efficiency and focus of an existing, experienced institution? I doubt it. So simply letting major businesses fail and disappear may be worse than taking them over, in some cases. We still need the expertise accumulated in the firm, even if it is financially valueless.

I don't so much mean to be gloomy, as to say be aware of changes underway, and revise your strategy so it meshes with current reality.

And there will always be really smart people who discover how to get along, even prosper, no matter what the circumstances. If anyone sees an example, please start a thread here!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl=-2072.46
Darroll= -426.
waybomb=-437.
Cowboyjg=-372.06
Mtntopper=-3481.92
Easttexfrank=-296.88
Daedong=+213.21
B. Struka =+1153.56
Galvatron=+418.08
BCZoom=+165.61​

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I cheated and didn't read your rules. I invested in a 1969 SS Camaro. :unsure:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl=-2072.46

Darroll= -426.
waybomb=-437.
Cowboyjg=-372.06
Mtntopper=-3481.92
Easttexfrank=-296.88
Daedong=+213.21
B. Struka =+1153.56
Galvatron=+418.08

BCZoom=+165.61​

We still have a few months, right? But dayum, I wish I dumped it all in SKF - I'd be up $3700.00

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Cali, give me a little hope here, I'm bleeding to death. I was hoping for a banking rebound...
This morning I watched Washington Week February 20 edition (PBS) and the experts are saying about the same as what I said above. Nobody mentioned rebound. Sorry.

Here's a link. You can watch the economic portion, another segment on how economic instability may encourage the return of the Cold War, or the entire half hour. So far as I know, the economic portion is as good and current a description of the Administration's thinking as anything available.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob S .is still leading ,but even he has dropped in value . $830 profit .

Mtnpooper ? Where you going ? What made you pick your stock ? I hope its only "make believe" and you don't actually own it :sad:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Bob S .is still leading ,but even he has dropped in value . $830 profit .

Mtnpooper ? Where you going ? What made you pick your stock ? I hope its only "make believe" and you don't actually own it :sad:

LVLT is working/hoping on a big chunk of stimulus money headed their way with the broadband upgrading across the US by the dems..........:whistling:

Maybe LVLT will get a bailout as it looks like they really need it. The company is being sued every which way and is as crooked appearing as Chicago politcs............:yum:

Time will tell but for now it looks real bleak...........:unsure:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I figured the market was heading south, but also felt, well, maybe O could have some positive affect.

So I picked three of my favorites as a long, and SKF as a short. What I was hoping to do was just come out of this a little on top.

I didn't want to follow the gold just because for some reason I have a bias against it, and besides, if it really tanked, SKF would do many times better than gold. To wit, right now if I'd have went all in into SKF, I'd be like 1800 up today. A week ago, when things were on massive negative trajectory, I would have been up 4800 one day. SKF is a very interesting day trade play. In the real world, they only sell at increments of 100, so you have to go in with some hefty change.

If you want to have some fun, watch them. Look what they are short in and how they play. I know it is counter intuitive, and they probably have a hand in driving the market down, and their day will come, but it is still legal.

We'll see where this all plays out in the next few months.

If TXT gets some bailout on the finance arm, and the economy starts moving, it is bound to go back up many times over. I think TXT is a great long play. In the last year or so, it was up to over 80, split 2:1, and went over 80 again. Now it's what, 4 bucks?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I figured the market was heading south, but also felt, well, maybe O could have some positive affect.

So I picked three of my favorites as a long, and SKF as a short. What I was hoping to do was just come out of this a little on top.

I didn't want to follow the gold just because for some reason I have a bias against it, and besides, if it really tanked, SKF would do many times better than gold. To wit, right now if I'd have went all in into SKF, I'd be like 1800 up today. A week ago, when things were on massive negative trajectory, I would have been up 4800 one day. SKF is a very interesting day trade play. In the real world, they only sell at increments of 100, so you have to go in with some hefty change.

If you want to have some fun, watch them. Look what they are short in and how they play. I know it is counter intuitive, and they probably have a hand in driving the market down, and their day will come, but it is still legal.

We'll see where this all plays out in the next few months.

If TXT gets some bailout on the finance arm, and the economy starts moving, it is bound to go back up many times over. I think TXT is a great long play. In the last year or so, it was up to over 80, split 2:1, and went over 80 again. Now it's what, 4 bucks?

Well... I am having Beans and Rice for dinner .... And for breakfast , lunch,dinner,breakfast again........:sad:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, but what are ya having with those beans and rice? C'mon now, fess up.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ya, but what are ya having with those beans and rice? C'mon now, fess up.

Is it that friggin obvious ??? Geez your good ....
Rib Eyes and a salad . You think I got this fat eatin healthy crap . No ice cream .... I'm trying to cut back

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well... I am having Beans and Rice for dinner .... And for breakfast , lunch,dinner,breakfast again........:sad:
Well I expect that I may be in the LOSS column at this point? Gold pulled back on profit taking. I expect a bit more of a drop. But I would not be surprised to see it resume its climb and go up to the $1200 per ounce range, with the GLD shares trading at nearly $120. Timing is the issue, this is a 6 month contest???

Seems to me NOW is the time to buy a bit more gold on this dip. JUST MY OPINION. But if I'm wrong then I'll be eating beans & rice right beside Allen. Only I may not be able to afford the beans :unsure:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
:sad:

Attachments

• sinking_ship.jpg
    sinking_ship.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 102

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I expect that I may be in the LOSS column at this point? Gold pulled back on profit taking. I expect a bit more of a drop. But I would not be surprised to see it resume its climb and go up to the $1200 per ounce range, with the GLD shares trading at nearly $120. Timing is the issue, this is a 6 month contest???

Seems to me NOW is the time to buy a bit more gold on this dip. JUST MY OPINION. But if I'm wrong then I'll be eating beans & rice right beside Allen. Only I may not be able to afford the beans :unsure:

Can you cast gold into boolits? ;)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
woohoo, I'm back to being less than $1000 loss!
But had I dumped it all into SKF, I'd be up $5,200 now.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I just went to check "my" stocks - SKF is now at $237, $100 higher than when this game started. Dayum.

benspawpaw

i will take the 10,000 and buy govt backed bonds cause we all know that ob
ama thinks the govt has a never ending supply and we know he wouldnt lie
:yum::yum::yum::yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Darroll -696.00
waybomb-484.76
CowboyJG-1620.42
Gatorboy-1393.20
Mtntopper-3481.92
daedong-701.90
BCzoom-335.34
BigAl-3132.84
BSturka+486.13
Galvatron+361.97

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
WooHoo, only 485 in the hole. The pizzer is if I had not been conservative, I'd have $17,700 of SKF right now - up 77%!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty scarey out there in the real market right now . I'm watching stocks dive that have no business being pulled down . Most of it now is being caused by "short sellers" .

I personally feel that there is a huge amount of investment cash just sitting there waiting for the stock market to bottom . Look at how much has been pulled out in the last year alone .

It will be like ants on sugar, when it happens and those lucky enough to be in position to invest equal dollar amounts to what they now have invested are going to be rich . No ifs ,ands, or buts.
All that money is sure as hell not going to earn much if its sitting in Banks at 2% . This is investor money , not some little Mom & Pop bank account I am talking about .

I am seeing some stocks that are damn near steals . Good solid AAA and better stuff that is way down .

Do your homework and get ready ,because its coming.

Hopefully GM will fall and Citibank will go right behind that , then when the Wall street experts realizes that no one will save the sorry ass , these AAA rated companies that have good bottom lines can pick up the pieces , fire the shitheads ansd lazy ass unions workers and start rebuilding again .

Until we cut the head off the snake it can and will still bite you .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Darroll -696.00
waybomb-484.76
CowboyJG-1620.42
Gatorboy-1393.20
Mtntopper-3481.92
daedong-701.90
BCzoom-335.34
BigAl-3132.84
BSturka+486.13
Galvatron+361.97

Hey Al, I know my picks are tanking but don't leave me off your list. :peek-a-bo

By the way, I agree with you. I think that there is huge amounts of cash out there that sooner or later has to come back into the market because in reality, there is no place else to put it.