• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HELP! Snow Trac parts needed

Alp Trac

Hi,

After lots of research (should have done more!)I have purchased a Snow Trac ST4 '63. One more for the Snow Trac camp it would appear...

You guys seem clued up as to where to get bits from and I was wondering if you could help.

The Snow Trac is now in its new home in the French Alps, removed last week from Scotland where it had spent its life on the HRH the Queens Estate, Balmoral.

Surprisingly, I need some bits...

I am after:
Brake Master cylinder,
Brake Slave cylinder x 2,
Hella rear light assembly,
Speedo Cable.

In the longer term I need to source a complete handbrake assembly including lever and cables etc, as mine has been removed and also tyres. I have found 4.00x4" 6 ply tyres for 18 euros at http://www.marc-ingegno.it ,he also has 8 ply tyres but at 96.81 euros, ouch. I cannot however find the larger tyres (600x100mm 6ply) any ideas? Merci.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Adam,

A couple of questions for you.
  • First, what year Snow Trac do you own? (different years have some different configurations?
  • Do you have manuals to identify the parts numbers? (we have manuals here and can send them to you if you need them)
Most of the parts of a Snow Trac's mechanicals were actually made by Volkswagen. I would strongly suggest you go to a large bookstore, or go to an on-line internet bookseller like Amazon.com and order a copy of a book authored by John Muir. The title is How to Keep Your VW Alive. It is full of great information about how to fix many of the mechanicals that are on a Snow Trac.

As many parts are from VW, most of what you are looking for are very likely VW parts (like the brake components) and you can find them at VW restoration places that work on the old VWs.

Alp Trac

Hi,

That was quick!

I have an ST4, chassis number 000600, which Christer's website says is a '63.

It has the four large and five small pnematic tyre setup.

I have downloaded the parts manual from Christer's website, is there more info available? Adam

Edit by B_Skurka: I added two photos of this Snow Trac

Attachments

• 2a_12_sb.JPG
    2a_12_sb.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 316
  • e6_12_sb.JPG
    e6_12_sb.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 314

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
adam hemms said:
I have downloaded the parts manual from Christer's website, is there more info available? Adam

Send me a PM or an email with your mailing address. I will send you a computer disk that contains several manuals. Each manual is a little bit different so what I have found is that sometimes I cannot find an answer in one manual but I can find the answer in a different year's manual.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Hella taillight lens is a little hard to come by, Christer is your best bet there. I don't believe he has any Speedo Cables, I generally had them made by a motorcycle cable shop. The Master Cylender, slave cylenders, and brake shoes are all VW and are readily available. Your machine is a "Big Wheel" machine and has some additional brake bands that go on the outside of the drum, if there still there. They were the emergency brake or parking brake. If the bands are still there you should take them to a Brake & Clutch supply and have them resurfaced as they are also hard to find.

The brake assemblies on this model are kept from spinning around by oval cut-outs in the skid pan, below the engine. DO NOT attempt to move the machine if the skid pan is not in place. What happens is that the brake assemblies rotate, breaking off the hoses, then the emergency brake cables twist up tight enough to permanently lock up the breaks. The Cam for the cables breaks off and the machine becomes completely imoveable. It generally takes a torch and a saws-all to get the whole mess free, and now your out a bunch of rare hard to get parts. If the rest of the emergency brake system is in place, E-Brake handel, cable housings, and some fittings that tie the 2 cables together, you can get VW Bus replacement cables and these aftermarket ends and make up a new set of cables from that. The aftermarket ends your looking for are held on by a set screw which allows you to cut off one end of the bus cables and adjust them to length. If the cable housings are rusted solid or missing, you can get new housing from a motorcycle supply place, or just use 3/16 copper tubing. It works pretty good.

Alp Trac

Attachments

• 61_12_sb.JPG
    61_12_sb.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 96_12_sb.JPG
    96_12_sb.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 44_12_sb.JPG
    44_12_sb.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 321

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You have the old style drivers seat, but the new style large front wheels. There were only a couple years when those overlapped from what I can recall, but Lyndon probably would be the best person to nail down the production years.

Alp Trac

Hi Lyndon thanks for the warning!

My Trac has the original bands over the drum and they have a good amount of material on them.

My whole emergency brake lever is missing so if anyone out there has one they would like to sell please let me know!

If I can get hold of a lever I will follow your advice re cable.

First need to get the foot brake working though...

Skid plate is in place so no problems there.

adam

Lyndon said:
The Hella taillight lens is a little hard to come by, Christer is your best bet there. I don't believe he has any Speedo Cables, I generally had them made by a motorcycle cable shop. The Master Cylender, slave cylenders, and brake shoes are all VW and are readily available. Your machine is a "Big Wheel" machine and has some additional brake bands that go on the outside of the drum, if there still there. They were the emergency brake or parking brake. If the bands are still there you should take them to a Brake & Clutch supply and have them resurfaced as they are also hard to find.

The brake assemblies on this model are kept from spinning around by oval cut-outs in the skid pan, below the engine. DO NOT attempt to move the machine if the skid pan is not in place. What happens is that the brake assemblies rotate, breaking off the hoses, then the emergency brake cables twist up tight enough to permanently lock up the breaks. The Cam for the cables breaks off and the machine becomes completely imoveable. It generally takes a torch and a saws-all to get the whole mess free, and now your out a bunch of rare hard to get parts. If the rest of the emergency brake system is in place, E-Brake handel, cable housings, and some fittings that tie the 2 cables together, you can get VW Bus replacement cables and these aftermarket ends and make up a new set of cables from that. The aftermarket ends your looking for are held on by a set screw which allows you to cut off one end of the bus cables and adjust them to length. If the cable housings are rusted solid or missing, you can get new housing from a motorcycle supply place, or just use 3/16 copper tubing. It works pretty good.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The E brake lever is standard VW issue, available from any place that has an old VW. They almost never break or wear out. The special fittings that bolt it to the floor are ST4 parts and you will have 3 routes you can use to persue this: Get Original OEM parts from Sweden, get someone to lend you theirs and make copys, or cut the floor area out of a VW and modify it to fit your rig. I used the floor section out of a VW bus and it worked well, but I ended up with an up right(verticle) E-brake lever instead of a 'pull up from the floor' model.