• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Marine arrested+expelled for LEGALLY carrying a gun on campus

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was going to say I can't believe this, but I can. This guy is 30 years old, has a license to carry, no apparent history of any problems, keeps a little 22 derringer for protection in his pocket, was totally cooperative and a panel of his so-called peers (18 to 21 year olds) is set up to judge him and teach him about life. Heck he knew more about life by the time he was 22 than these kids will learn by the time they are his age!

Give me a break.
header_exclusive.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]WEAPONS OF CHOICE[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]College ousts Marine for legally concealed gun[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]'Look, no weapons are allowed on campus, period'[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]Posted: February 19, 2009
12:00 am Eastern

[/SIZE] [FONT=Palatino, Times New Roman, Georgia, Times, serif]By Chelsea Schilling[/FONT]
[SIZE=-1] © 2009 WorldNetDaily [/SIZE]

maxwell1.jpg

Jeffrey Maxwell (photo: Democrat Herald)

A Marine has been arrested, suspended from and ordered to undergo a psychological evaluation for bringing a handgun and [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]knife[/FONT][/FONT]to campus – even though he holds a concealed carry permit issued by the state.

"They put me in cuffs as quick as they could and hauled me off," Western Oregon [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]University[/FONT][/FONT]student Jeffrey L. Maxwell told Portland's KATU-TV. "With my concealed weapons permit, I thought I was well within my rights to carry it. I never remember signing away my right to keep and bear arms."

Campus police arrested Maxwell, a 30-year-old junior, Jan. 28 after someone reported seeing a knife in his pocket. Maxwell was cooperative when authorities detained him. When they asked if he had any other weapons, he politely informed them he had a loaded two-shot .22 caliber Derringer and pocket knives in his possession. He also said he carried a rifle in his [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]truck[/FONT][/FONT].
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Monmouth[/FONT][/FONT] police took Maxwell into custody for violation of ORS 166.370, possession of a firearm in a public building. Kevin Starrett, president of the Oregon Firearms Federation, said Maxwell was forced to sit at the police station for three hours after the district attorney told police to charge him.

"The law is absolutely clear that Jeffrey was not doing anything illegal, and this district [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]attorney[/FONT][/FONT] doesn't know that?" he told WND. "They can't figure out to read three lines and one section of the law?"

Polk County District Attorney Stan Butterfield dropped charges against Maxwell Feb. 10. "I believe the Monmouth Police Department issued the citation in good faith and that there was an arguable violation," Butterfield wrote in an e-mail obtained by KATU. "However, a careful reading of the statute and the facts led me to conclude the charge was not in the best interest of justice." Nonetheless, a Western Oregon University student disciplinary panel has determined that Maxwell may not re-enroll at the college until a mental health professional determines that he is not a threat to himself or the public. The panel consisted of four unnamed students and one university staff member. Maxwell asked for a public hearing, but his request was denied.

"These were children on the panel who were judging him," Starrett said. "These people were in elementary school when Jeff was serving his country in the Marine Corps. I looked at these kids thinking, these kids are judging this guy?"

As soon as the hearing was over, the panel closed and locked the doors, he said. Suddenly, nearly 50 people standing outside heard a burst of laughter coming from the room.
"We were like, 'What the hell is going on in there?'" Starrett said. "I've never seen anything like it."
The panel also demanded that Maxwell submit a 10-page essay on the importance of following the law, accepting responsibility for his actions and recognizing the impact of possessing weapons on a college campus before he will be allowed to return next spring.

University policy prohibits people from carrying weapons, even if they have state-issued permits. But Maxwell and his attorney are fighting the decision – saying the school's rule undermines Oregon state law and violates his right to carry firearms into public buildings.
derringer1.jpg
"They had no interest in the Oregon state law," Maxwell told KATU. "They didn't want to hear anything pertaining to the law. They only wanted to hear what was pertaining to the student codes of conduct."

Starrett said, "It was clearly an effort to humiliate him. Every time someone exercises their rights they need to get their head examined? It's unnerving stuff."

Joe Hutchinson from Campus Public Safety told the Western Oregon Journal, the university's student newspaper, that the Oregon University System policies are stricter than state regulations.

"We go one step further and say, look, no weapons are allowed on campus, period," he said.

But Oregon State Reps. Bruce Hanna, R-Roseburg, and Kim Thatcher, R-Keizer, wrote a letter to Oregon University System Chancellor George Pernsteiner asking the college to discard policies that undermine rights of gun owners who possess permits, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

"I hope the universities will recognize that those with concealed handgun licenses are legally able to bring their arms on campus," Thatcher said. The Oregon Firearms Federation is demanding Maxwell reinstatement, an apology and compensation for the student. Maxwell has written a letter of appeal to the school. "It's a letter of his position on why they're wrong, and that's the process," Starrett said. "That's been sent. Now, what we're expecting is just for them to blow it off, and then we file our lawsuit."

When asked why he carried the weapons on campus, Maxwell said he was concerned about his and other students' safety after the April 2007 massacre at Virginia Tech.

"When Marines hear gunfire, we don't run from it. We run toward it," Maxwell told KATU. "I kind of thought of myself as one of the good guys – the one who, if something happened at school, was going to step in and save everybody else."

Concerned individuals may e-mail university President John Minahan or call (503)838-8888 and/or contact Polk County District Attorney Stan Butterfield. The Oregon Firearms Federation is accepting tax-deductible donations to the Jeffrey Maxwell Legal Defense Fund. Contributors should select "Oregon Firearms Educational Fund" and indicate specifically that the funds are intended for Jeffrey Maxwell's case.

RedRocker

He deserved to get in trouble, who in their right mind packs a 22 two shot derringer for protection? I can't believe the corps turned out a guy that thinks like that. Somebody get that boy a PISTOL!! LOL

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Gees, my son carries a firearm on campus every day. As a matter of fact, he's required to do so as a student there.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
academy or military school?

anyway - I work in a state office that bans/prohibits all weapons -- but they've never flinched over my pocket knife, not even when I was working in the state capitol and attending legislative sessions a couple years ago.

by the same token, there have been a couple of instances where my guard has relieved a contractor of his pocket knife and I had to look at them and ask - "weapon or tool?" before handing the knife back. (yes, tool was the correct answer - and not in reference to that particular guard)

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure the significance of saying he was a Marine.

Were you going to make a complete thought by finishing that partial sentence or did you want to leave us wondering about your fragment?

At any rate, I believe that his status as a Marine is important since it brings to light that he has been trained in the proper use and handling of weapons.

ncroamer65

From what has been reported a question of whos authority comes
out on top in this situation, the schools, or the state.
Who does one apeall the student disciplinary ruling too.
The Student Discip. ruling sounds more as an action to ridicule
the student Marine. By who's authority can they demand a
mental health evaluation and were does this evaluation end up ??
The Western Oregon University Dean's Office should review this
sentance, before bening carried out. :whistling: :whistling:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
if the student body is demanding the eval, the school should pay for it - which is how these things work in the real world.
there is no mention the guy has any past history of mental illness or shown signs of instability, he cooperated peacefully with the police when they arrived, why would they think he has any violent tendencies, other than his demonstrated willingness to place his life on the line for others as a military veteran? (and I'm still boggled by the "no pocket knives allowed" concept)

Gatorboy

At any rate, I believe that his status as a Marine is important since it brings to light that he has been trained in the proper use and handling of weapons.

A Marine with a permit to carry is no more entitled to have a gun than anyone else with a permit.

I was just curious why the article needed to specify his occupation. If he was an auto mechanic, would the title have been:

[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]College ousts Mechanic for legally concealed gun[/FONT]

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Marine with a permit to carry is no more entitled to have a gun than anyone else with a permit.
Agreed on "no more entitled" but as mentioned, most likely "more qualified" and most likely "more disciplined".

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed on "no more entitled" but as mentioned, most likely "more qualified" and most likely "more disciplined".
I'd also suggest he is more mature, due to his military training, his life experience and his age. The students who are 'demanding' him to write a 10 page essay are lacking in all those. Somehow I suspect the 10 page essay will be so far from being politically correct that the student body that demanded it will be damned by it, and deservingly so.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
If I were him it would be a short essay telling the bubble headed kids which sphincter muscle to kiss!!!! Have a goodun!!!!

Gatorboy

Ok, I get it now ... with my degree in Computer Science, I'm more qualified and disciplined to use a computer than the average person.

Makes perfect sense.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder if the POLICE that arrested him had to give up their weapons, since they were on school grounds that state, no guns period.

wonder if next week if there is a shooter, they will tell the parents, we have a no guns policy, this guy who shot your kid broke the rules............... I can see the dad now, yeah dud, come here while I beat the living #$%t out of you for being so friggin stupid, and for claiming to have a brain when in fact it is mush................explain to a greiving family your stupid ass rules.

When will these no balls duds realize, criminals dont care squat about your silly assed gun rules, in fact they do love a sign, NO GUNS ALLOWED..........means theirs are the only ones there.

Try this new sign, carrying a concealed or not concealed weapon is required here. Do not shoot to stop, shoot to kill! Wonder how many criminals would come around