• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Next project, workshop vise

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vises are pretty expensive, especially in the size I want. I've been borrowing one for the last 2 years, trying to avoid buying one.
I spotted a thread on another site where someone had made a vise to replace a chinese one that broke. I didnt think for long before I decided I should make myself one.

I found a lump of 6x4" channel down on the pile of girders I got free. Figured that would do for the slider. I pulled a couple of the plates of 1/2" plate someone got out a forklift factory skip. The plates are really difficult shapes, but the bandsaw soon sorts that out! The are some more pics and writing here

Here is what I have come up with so far. The fixed jaw will weld onto the front of those 3 pieces sticking up. Need to go grab a piece of threaded rod tomorrow, and make the jaw to go on the slider before I weld it all solid.

12-11-06_1718.jpg

The more I make stuff the more I enjoy it :D

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The jaws will bolt to the 2 plates that are welded on.
17-11-06_1906.jpg

This is the part that the threaded rod screws through to move the jaw in and out.
14-11-06_1927.jpg

Sizewise, a standard workshop vise is a bit weenie :D
17-11-06_1908.jpg

As ever, there are far more pics of the build on my website here (vise project page)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet!!

Glad you posted a pic of the old vise to provide a comparison. I wouldn't have known the size of the one you're building.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The blue vise in the background is bigger than the one in the jaws, but it still fits in. Thats the one I have been using to date.

The vise opens to about 14", and has 10" wide jaws.

Thanks

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, that bandsaw is such a lifesaver. I have to cut all my stainless steel with a grinder, and I cant imagine how bad it must be having to but big steel stock with a grinder.

The saw is only a cheapie, cost £200 new (would have been less, but I'm a sucker for upgrades), I found one of ebay AU, just to give you an idea $25

Thanks

daedong

Thanks for that Jim, just at the moment I need to be careful with money because the water situation here may mean no income for a few years. I will place a small bid anyway, it seems like it may be a bargain.
I will need to keep this one quiet from the wife:hide:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
daedong said:

quiet is no problem, just don't plug it in.

I would be more worried about where to hide something that large. :yankchain:

Jim

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
daedong said:

Vin,

What's your wife's phone number or email. :hide: :hide: Naw I really wouldn't do that to you Vin;)

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, for $25 or a little more you'll soon see the savings in grinding discs alone. Good luck!

daedong

This could be very hard keeping this from the wife, Wagga Wagga is about 1000 mile round trip from here, I won't be able to just duck out for 5 mins to go and collect it.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin, looks like the bidding went a bit mad for that bandsaw. I shouldnt think they are much more than that new.

Its nearly done, just the handle to make really, and jaws, and welding to together. Subsituting the handle with some mole grips it seems to work OK, moves in and out just fine.

21-11-06_1807.jpg

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
If anyone is interested in the outcome, I finished the vise, I use it daily in the workshop now, and it works great, you can really tighten it down.
It could do with a little more grip on the jaws though, I might just use the grinder to cut some more in.

30-12-06_1512.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Now that you have the prototype, how long before you go into production??? :burp:
I'll buy one if you mass-produce (as long as shipping isn't more than $10).

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, if you want to pay me to make another one I'll ship it for $10 no problem :D My packaging is a little expensive though ;)