• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Paul Cooper's Original Snow Trac Manual

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:D Paul sent me his original Snow Trac manual so I could scan it to share with everyone :thumb:

It is different than any of the other manuals I have seen and includes some pages I have not seen before. I have no clue what year this is from but look for it to appear here on the Forums sometime in the near future!

We are doing a full high resolution scan of the manual at my office so it can be converted into JPG and PDF files. It will probably take some time before I can convert such a large document into something that can be posted. I will probably post some individual pages of the manual here in this thread. I'd like to be able to post the entire manual in a PDF format in the "Gallery" section of the Forums.

Be patient, this is going to take some time, it looks like a bigger job than I anticipated.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I think I can hear one of Bob's office underlings cursing snow tracs as I type this! ;)
Yup, she's not shy about her bitching, but she gets the job done :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am now in possession of several manuals. And I am frustrated.

While the manuals are similar in many ways, and while some have many identical pages, they are all different in some way or another with no single manual having all the information that is contained in the the sum of the individual manuals.

Paul Cooper's manual is 100% original and complete, but I purchased a photocopy of a manual that arrived in the post today that has some additional information that is not included in the manual I have on loan from Paul. I purchased a CD-Rom containing an operators manual and parts list on Ebay from "Ladygazelle7" and the operators manual is identical to what I just received in the mail, but the parts listing is far less comprehensive than what I recieved. I have another digital version, but again it is also slightly different from the others, omitting some pages and adding in others.

I think there will be a long term project at hand . . . combining all of these documents to make one master copy that contains all the information contained in the various versions I have gathered. Actually I suppose I will end up with 2 master copies. An Operators Manual and a Parts Listing.

Don't look for either master copies to be completed soon, but I will work on them as time permits and I'll do my best to make them available to everyone. Possibly in a downloadable format? That may end up being a huge download, so maybe a CD-ROM format would be better? Anyway, at some point I hope to be able to get that out to everyone.

Does anyone else have a copy that they can loan me?

dbrokaw

Bob
I have scanned my parts manual and have it in a pdf format - the manual is 21 pages and 7600kb - if you would like I can e-mail it to you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Paul, I put your manual back in the mail to you last week, along with a laminated bound copy of your manual, plus a bunch of other stuff too.

I'm working on a couple more manuals now too. So hopefully we'll be able to get all this stuff into a format where it can be posted in the PDF section of the PHOTO GALLERY for everyone to download. I'm trying to identify the manuals by year, but I have one that I can't pin down the exact year of. I can tell it was from the mid-late 1970's but can not figure anything else out about it.

If anyone else can help, I would appreciate it if you could mail me your manual (either original or copy) so I can get it duplicated for use by everyone. Please send me a PM or email first just so we make sure that I need the version you have.

By the way, one interesting thing in Paul Cooper's manual is that it contained the manual for the original gas-fired heater! I will be posting that ASAP in the PDF section of the PHOTO GALLERY as a stand alone manual. EDIT: Well I can't post the heater manual in the photo gallery because it is too large! I will save it to a disk so if anyone needs it I can send it to you. I will warn you, the manual portion is in German, the parts portion is in English.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK here is what I have been able to figure out . . . and it is not much!

I'm breaking the manuals down into 2 parts, the USER/OPERATORS manual and the PARTS manual:

CURRENTLY I have the following for anyone who needs them:
  • 1963 Users & Parts Manual, including a Gas Heater manual (59 pages)
  • 196?? Parts Manual, no gas heater information (21 pages)
  • 1972 Users Manual (contains some 1960's drawings!) (30 pages)
  • 1972 Parts Manual (contains some 1960's drawings!) (50 pages)
  • 1975 Users Manual (contains some 1960's drawings) (46 pages)
  • 1975 Parts Manual (contains some 1960's drawings) (56 pages)
I have a couple other members who are lending their manuals for me to copy, I will get them digitized and let you all know what they are.

I would have no problem sending you all the manuals on 1 CD-Rom Disk if you want all of them. Or if you have a Snow Trac from the 1960's I could send you just the stuff from the 60's; and if you have one from the 70's or 80's I could sent you the manuals from the 70's. Your choice.

I do not ask for any payment for these, as long as I am only putting them on a CD-Rom disk, disks & postage are cheap. As members are lending their books to this effort it seems unfair to charge. But I do ask you to participate in the forums! :D Please post some of your photos, please comment on other member's work, problems, etc. Please ask your questions here. By my estimates we have almost 30 Snow Trac/Snow Master owners who visit this site, many come here every day, but only a handful of owners actually post information. We need a little bit from everyone so we can all learn.

If you don't know how to post photos or start a thread, please send me a "private message" or an email and I will help you get started. Photos have limits and may have to be resized, I can do that for you if you have problems with photo editing.

Last edited:

Bob Cantin

In going through my files of left over data from my days of marketing Snow Tracs here in Western Canada, I see there are some parts and instruction manuals for both ST4 and ST4B(Snow Masters) on file. It sounds like you guys have a good start on redoing these various manuals etc., however I may have some stuff here that you don't have. Drop me a line and we can compare this "stuff"---Bob C

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, look for a Private Message from me shortly!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Far I have come across the following manuals: Old Style Snow Trac Service Manual. This one has the most cross reference of VW Part Numbers. VW Part Numbers always start with 113 or 111 or 211 and are a 9 to 12 digit number in groups of three. 111 numbers indicate 'Bug' parts, 200 series numbers are 'Bus ' or 'Transporter' numbers. Snow trac's didn't use much for Type 3 or Type 4 parts, but they would start with 300 or 400 numbers. In the later service manuals they dropped the VW Cross reference numbers. This makes the early service guide one of the most valuable. The next Service manual is for the "Big Wheel" or 3 Belt Snow Trac. It has better expanded views of the Variator. They never came out with a complete Trac Master manual as far as I know. They printed an addenda to the early Snow Trac manual, it's about 6 pages and not very common to come across. It had drawings and part numbers for just the the parts that were not standard ST4. The 4th in the series of ST4 service Manuals is the Snow Master , and it breaks down the machine in much more detail. Some versions even have the Trans axel and carring details that were omitted from the earlier manuals. The latest Manuals Lists all 5 of the exhaust variations right at the start and which one goes with what serial number. There is also a Military Service Manual, I've seen it but don't own one. Besides the service manuals, there is also the Operators Manual. It's smaller, about 5 by 8, and comes in 2 versions. There is a Red Version that is for Snow Trac's, and a White Version that is for Snow Masters. The Service Manual came in a rainbow of colors. Red, Orange, Blue and Green. Just the covers were this color, the bulk of the printed material being in black & white.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon said:
Besides the service manuals, there is also the Operators Manual. It's smaller, about 5 by 8, and comes in 2 versions. There is a Red Version that is for Snow Trac's, and a White Version that is for Snow Masters.

Lyndon, I have a borrowed "Snow-Master" "Instruction Book ST4B" on my desk now. It is a cover with Red ink drawing on it with a white background. Is this what you are referring to as the White version?