• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help! 85 tucker snocat radiator...replacement options?

groomer08

Hi all,
So our clubs 85 tucker with the chrysler 360 just had the radiator let go...it was repaired 2 weeks ago and tucker says they dont sell it anymore.
Have any of you retrofit something else in there??
We were wondering about a fluidyne or a multiple core unit from a tractor or loader. Problem is the mounts keep vibrating off the tank and taking out the tank. Just went out to groom and it was puking antifreeze when i stopped to clean my wipers.
Im actually still limping it back.
Thanks for any and all help..

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi all,
So our clubs 85 tucker with the chrysler 360 just had the radiator let go...it was repaired 2 weeks ago and tucker says they dont sell it anymore.
We were wondering about a fluidyne or a multiple core unit from a tractor or loader. Problem is the mounts keep vibrating off the tank and taking out the tank. Just went out to groom and it was puking antifreeze when i stopped to clean my wipers.

Bullshit!!! There is not a radiator that cannot be recored if a shop is good . that includes needing new tanks or building custom tanks . I have made 1000's and rebuilt all kinds .Most shops only want to sale new ones and don't have the knowledge or techs to custom build ..
Go find another shop that actually knows what they are doin . Call your local car club , They will know where to go .If I was still doing em , I could have you back up with a Brand new replacement unit that would bolt in place in about 2 -3 days max .

30 minutes to take it apart , 1 day waiting on a new core or tanks, and another hour to build the new one .
I am betting money that the radiator is a old Chysler style as Tucker loved using Dodge parts .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
performance radiator modine and napa all have picture books for mechanics like me to look at take the radiator out and slap it on the counter. they can pull out the book take measurements and get you a new one my guess it isn't tucker specific

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Hi all,
Ok ,,,, I went back and reread the post again ,. Have the shop "Extend" the anchor brackets across the top and bottom.
Vibration is killing you .If you can try remounting with rubber grommets

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Allen you may be surprised how much things in the trade have changed. because so many of the new cars come out with plastic and aluminum radiators now days it's getting hard to find some one who can soldier brass now days. its kind of like finding a mechanis who knows what points are or even what they do.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Allen you may be surprised how much things in the trade have changed. because so many of the new cars come out with plastic and aluminum radiators now days it's getting hard to find some one who can soldier brass now days. its kind of like finding a mechanis who knows what points are or even what they do.

In 1985 all American made radiators were still Brass / copper that I know of . The big change to plastic came in the 90's

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I know Allen I bought a new one for my 6.2 diesel several years ago I received plastic and aluminum. I called up my supplier and complained I wanted brass, he told me I would pay twice the price if I could even find one in brass. I have checked this with other suppliers and the story is the same they laugh when I ask for brass. oh did I forget to say I hate change. some times you have to adapt to keep the doors open.

Dr. Zaugg

I have used Denver radiator to manufacture new BRASS radiators as late as last November. Those guys are not cheap but they are good. Crap, I cannot find their number right off. Just reply here if you want it.

If you can't find a good radiator shop to rebuild the existing unit you can buy generic sized aluminum radiators from Summit Racing (catalog or online). Then you can have your local welder add the side brackets or even cutoff the inlet/outlet fittings and Tig them on in the spot you need. We done this to lots of peoples various equipment, old trucks, hot rods, etc. Add rubber grommets when you remount it. I've never had anybody come back with any issues. Make sure your welder is good with aluminum or he might just ruin your part.