• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diabetes: Pump Questions, daughter update

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, thought it was time for an update since last month's thread got revived about my daughter, and I have some new questions.

First comes first, she is doing very well. We've experienced all sorts of new things with LOW blood sugar, HIGH blood sugar and everything in between, but she is managing her disease very nicely. Mentaly she is doing great, couldn't have a better attitude about it. We were up at the hospital again last weekend for her 30 day update (actually just under 30 days). They were VERY happy with her progress.

They told us that normally they do not put a child on an "insulin pump" for 1 to 2 years, but they were very impressed with Melen's progress, her answers and her attitude. They told us that they would seriously consider it at the 6 month point. So I need to learn up on insulin pumps!!!

Aquantences have told about 2 brands of pumps that are approved for children. I'm wondering a few things.

First, are any of you guys/gals on insulin pumps? Have a spouse or child who is on one?

Second, do any of you have any first hand experience with either of these two brands? And if not, do you know anyone with either of these two brands? The Paradigm seems to be the most advanced of the "traditional" insulin pumps, and is kid approved. The Omnipod is totally different concept in pumps that looks very interesting and has some nice advantages. Both, however, have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Paradigm http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/

Omnipod http://www.myomnipod.com/

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,
Sounds like all three of you are dealing with this well. I wish her well.
I don't have any experience of the pumps, my son never got one like he wanted. Cost prohibitive compared to his new iPhone, I guess.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know that our insurance policy covers SOME brands of insulin pumps. I'm not yet sure if it covers either of the two that I listed above. I know that not all policies cover pumps and those that do don't seem to cover all the available brands.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Can't help there,Bob. Linda is still on pills and we don't know of anyone on a pump. Sounds like Melen is doing very well and we are both very glad to hear that. Tell her to keep up that good attitude and she's got half the battle won!!!
M&L

LarryRB

If you still frequent TBN at all, look up AndyMA and send him a PM. Andy has had several pumps over a many year period, deals with UMAss very frequently regarding these pumps and I know has direct input about them, He too was a juvenile diabetic and has been through it all,, Andy is about 56 yrs old now and well versed in these things...