• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 Exhaust Advise

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I need to replace my exhaust. It is rusted through in a few spots. The current configuration is a 1.5" pipe into a glass-pack resonator, then to 2" pipe with rain flap.

Question: Should I try to replace the system as-is (more costly), or should I just run a straight pipe out the factory hole? I do like that the machine is quieter with the resonator, but I don't know if this is creating more back-pressure than necessary. Maybe I'd get a few extra HP with a short straight pipe? Thoughts and opinions?

picture.php

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You would never notice any HP difference IMHO..

So go for the quiet version. You will see more wildlife on your treck's as well.

Not to mention quiet in the cab.

Regards, Kirk

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
You would never notice any HP difference IMHO..

So go for the quiet version. You will see more wildlife on your treck's as well.

Not to mention quiet in the cab.

Regards, Kirk

Thanks Kirk. I do enjoy a quieter machine. One good benefit of the vertical stack is that it reduces the chance for CO2 or other emissions in the cab.

jp11

A buddy gave me a 'critical' exhaust from a generator. worked great.

slap whatever you can get your hands on to it.

JP

Attachments

• IMGA0137.jpg
    IMGA0137.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 411

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That mitered elbow into the muffler will cause more backpressure than the entire exhaust system, I would change that.

jp11

That mitered elbow into the muffler will cause more backpressure than the entire exhaust system, I would change that.

sold and down the road. It ran pretty good. Pipe was a lot bigger than what came off the manifold. I painted it up with some exhaust paint I had laying around.

JP

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Kirk. I do enjoy a quieter machine. One good benefit of the vertical stack is that it reduces the chance for CO2 or other emissions in the cab.

My Snow Trac has it's e+haust out ant up the rear of the cab. It is also very nice to not have your own cloud of steamy e+haust up and over your view out the front. It will never be in your way..

Good luck, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the *issues* I addressed upon adoption of my imp was the exhaust. (the little bullet muffler and short pipe to the hole in the body was in the back of the machine when i bought it..)
Step one: I disassembled the floor and repaired the y pipe under the passengers seat.
Step two: i put the little pipe with muffler on.
Step three: with input from my wife upon being splattered with condensate flying out the pipe, I removed the little pipe and bullet muffler.
Step four:
reinstall the long tail pipe to the medium sized muffler with a hard 90 sticking out past the rear bumper.

I like the vertical stacks (Jp and You) I think like kirk mentions they get the byproducts up and away. I am a believer that small diameter intake and exhaust increases torque. large diameter pipe and intake increase HP.. In my experience torque is the answer.

$.02
Mike

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stick with the vertical stack. Seems to make the most sense.

Snowgeorge

I just purchased a 72 imp and it is a straight pipe under the passenger door loud and smelly I am thinking of turning the corner and running straight back or back and up using a glass pack any suggestions?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have that set up. made the turn and put the muffler right there. then extended a pip to the rear and r 90'd out the side.

I can get a photo if it helps.

Snowgeorge

A picture would be great as I understand u put the muffler under the body above the track is there any interference with the track

I'll try to upload a pic of my imp to make things a little clearer

In another note I broke my imp yesterday. I've been doing some preventative wrenching and over tightend the external linkage on the break steering. I drove about three feet and heard a loud pop in the rear end. Now I don't have any left turn. The cylinders still work and the lever going into the oc4 still moves. I'm lead to believe I broke a break band. So am going to call the guys in Wallace ID and see what I need to do. Looks like pulling the track pulling the axel and trying to get to the band. Thinking about doing both sides for piece of mind. I read some threads about getting to the band but any advice would be helpful.

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
My Imp came w/ a straight pipe that ran back over the track and exited at the rear of the cat. There wasn't really a muffler, but the tip had a slight restriction that provided some back-pressure and a bit of sound reduction. It worked OK from an acoustic perspective, but when I was blazing along at high speeds the track would lift and rub along the bottom of the pipe. The pipe was held in place w/ some steel bands and the grousers would catch the bands along the bottom of the pipe and tear them off.
DSCN0380.jpg
Three years ago I replaced the original system w/ a stainless steel pipe that again ran back to the rear above the tracks, but I kept it as high as possible. I also didn't use any bands on the bottom of the pipe for the grousers to catch on. I wanted an actual muffler, so I tucked it behind the sprocket with the tip near the center-line of the cat. And when I say "I" I should be clear that I didn't actually do the work myself -- I went to a muffler shop and gave them lots of picky detailed instructions on what to do. I think the cost was about $500.

So far I've been happy with the results. We haven't actually had much snow the past few years, so I've probably only put four or five hours on the cat. Still, it is quiet and doesn't appear to be suffering any damage from the grousers. On our last run of the season this year (by definition) I blew up the track, so that track rebuild job I was going to do "someday" is now scheduled for this summer.
DSCN4882.jpg
DSCN4881.jpg

Have fun and enjoy your Imp. I think everyone on the Forum will agree that it is undeniably the best cat on the snow.

Ron

rdynes01

From the pictures you posted it looks like you have less clearance for the grousers than with your first exhaust or does it just appear that way?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looking at the pics the exhaust appears to run over the top of the d dent grousers on the bottom the pipe is larger but is running off set the only problem I see is pulling a tract together but an imp track is a lot lighter than a 4 belt j grouser track like a sprite or 2100

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
What Don said. The second approach is still tight over the top of the grousers, but the pipe is further to the outside of the track. As such the D-dent grouser have a little more room, while the paddles are about the same. And the lack of a strap around the pipe says that if I do get grouser contact it is less likely to tear something apart. So far I haven't seen any scarring along the bottom of the pipe. Later this summer I'll see what it is like to squeeze a track jack into that space.

Ron