• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

30 years ago today - bombing of USMC Beiruit barracks

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was 30 years ago today that terrorists blew up the Marine barracks.

220 Marines, 18 sailors, 3 soldiers and 58 French paratroopers were killed in the attack.

For the Marines, it was the deadliest day for USMC since Iwo Jima in WWII.

I was in USMC boot camp at the time. We were really pissed off and fired up. There were talks of switching everyone's MOS to 0311 - Infantry and we were OK with that.

RIP

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I was there about 48 hours after it happened. I was working as contract security for some FBI lab rats doing forensic for clues to what happened. It was a mess to say the least.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Just completed the first year of what was supposed to be a three year assignment - it stretched out to nearly seven and
was my last. It made everyone in the unit sad and angry; we all wanted to go hunting for the bastards that did it. If anyone
had told me then that we'd still be engaged with the same enemy thirty years later I would have called him a liar. If we
had taken definitive action back then, the Islamic Supremacist trash would have crawled back into their hovels.

I know how we got to where we are but it never should have been allowed to happen. Too many good troops have died
because of the doctrine of political correctness ... hell, even one is too many! After the revolution we need to make sure that
no one reaches national office without first spending time in service to the country. Heinlein nailed it in Starship Troopers.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I was there about 48 hours after it happened. I was working as contract security for some FBI lab rats doing forensic for clues to what happened. It was a mess to say the least.

Glad I wasn't there. Probably would have been sent to Leavenworth for going postal. At least in Nam we usually
knew who the enemy was, and we for damn sure knew that people were trying to kill us. In Beirut no one expected that
sort of shit and weren't prepared for it. It was murder, not an act of war. :hammer:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We need to never forget The sacrifice of so many of our troops. I still blame it on the failure to support the Shah and the lack of response when they took our people hostage. It emboldened the muslim extreme factions and we lost all fear of our power by not returning fire to those who harmed us. Great reminder post Brian.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We need to never forget The sacrifice of so many of our troops. I still blame it on the failure to support the Shah and the lack of response when they took our people hostage. It emboldened the muslim extreme factions and we lost all fear of our power by not returning fire to those who harmed us. Great reminder post Brian.

I'll 2nd that. Good post Brian. Never ever forget.