• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking of selling my Snow Trac

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure, but I may be putting my Snow Trac on the market this year.

Possibly looking for some other track vehicle, I suppose if I can find something else I like then the Snow Trac will be up for sale.

Any suggestions on what to consider (not a Kristi :hammer: ) from you folks? I'd be looking for something that is more of a 4 season machine.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Matttracks or some equivalent on a cool 4x4. Some of the RTV versions are pretty cool.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mattracks on a traditional vehicle is not something I'd consider.

I'd prefer something that had an open cargo bed/platform with tracks. I'd consider a 4wheel drive COOT, but doubt I'd find one in good enough shape, at least not in this region. An 8 wheel ARGO might also be a consideration. But I'd really prefer a small tracked machine that could do a bit more work around the property, rather than being a people hauling machine.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob - Are you looking for something that's heavy-duty or more of a landowner type machine?

There's a local company that sells these for industrial applications. I don't know anything about them but tossing it out for your consideration. They make different sizes but I believe this is their smallest.

http://www.ihicompactexcavator.com/crawler-carrier/ic-35/

Maximum Payload of 6,614 lbs.
46 HP Kukota diesel engine
Ground pressure from 3.7 empty to 8.7 PSI loaded
2 Speed Manual Travel Hydrostatic Transmission
Bed capacity of 1.8 cu. yds. (heaped)
Wide range of attachments
Wide range of applications

IC-30-e1342549589980-300x300.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
about a year ago someone posted a new small one that was just being built .
maybe someone can find the pictures .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the only thing out there is going to be some expensive hydro units. i have to admit the tucker terra is a nice rig but loading on that rig is going to take a crane. also i run mine year round and a trailer like that bombi trailer that was advertised. pulls nice behind a snow trac there was a newer rig looked like it was smaller than a thiokol 600 but larger than a snow trac forget who made it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm definately looking for an older unit, something I can play with. Not as heavy duty as bczoom posted. Ideally something like a J5, but with additional seats. The J5 is only a single seater so that is out, but that style unit would be good.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure, but I may be putting my Snow Trac on the market this year.

Possibly looking for some other track vehicle, I suppose if I can find something else I like then the Snow Trac will be up for sale.

Any suggestions on what to consider (not a Kristi :hammer: ) from you folks? I'd be looking for something that is more of a 4 season machine.

Sorry, no suggestions on the machine, however I feel your concern with wanting a tracked machine yet NOT max tracks....

My inner do it yourselfer led me to visions of the articulated style machines, as the steering in the *other* three seasons is doable with the turf in mind.

an example:
I wanted to couple a pair of Bombis together to make a mini hagglunds machine.
I feel I am still in learning mode in regards to over the snow machines however when I feel competent, don't be surprised if I pursue something less seasonal myself.

Oh and until then..... Dibbs!:w00t2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i think if i were to do an all season machine i would do a mini jagernaught with some shorter all terrain tracks and tucker type steerig and a rear drive on the tracks.the other solution i would have is a is a christi suspension and loose track like the early russian tanks had those things could cover some terrain fast.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Something like an ARGO 6x6 or an 8x8 would be a reasonable alternative too.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Buy a Coot Bob. Those damn things can go anywhere and float to .Someplace there is a site that rebuilds em and sells em .
I think they seat about 4 people .

Closest thing to a bad ass Kristi KT3 that you will ever get !!! :clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
MD,

What you need is a Diesel Muskeg. Perkins turbo Diesel at about 120 Hp. They have Two rows of bogie wheels, and are tough enough to pull BIG loads with. Still avalible, and not terribly expensive. Not a deep snow machine, but is an all season one.

And, they look tough too....

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like this one ,308 hours turbo diesel front and rear 20 k hydraulic winches
Your ST4 and about 50k would cover it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 371

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie,

I was hoping you might give him a chance at a nice, but somewhat less expensive machine.. Cheap it would appear they aren't....

Wow $140K for a new one? I didn't even know they still made them? for that kind of money you could buy a used Caterpillar Ag tractor in very nice condition, and have 3X the machine. All rubber tracks would be a down fall though...Need some steel gousers to make them work well..and tear hell out of the yard...

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie,

I was hoping you might give him a chance at a nice, but somewhat less expensive machine.. Cheap it would appear they aren't....

Wow $140K for a new one? I didn't even know they still made them? for that kind of money you could buy a used Caterpillar Ag tractor in very nice condition, and have 3X the machine. All rubber tracks would be a down fall though...Need some steel gousers to make them work well..and tear hell out of the yard...

Regards, Kirk

Well, that price was in 1999 now they are more about 180-190,000 depending on add on's. new are hydro

Here is one for him

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 343

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm definately looking for an older unit, something I can play with. Not as heavy duty as bczoom posted. Ideally something like a J5, but with additional seats. The J5 is only a single seater so that is out, but that style unit would be good.

Some J5 are three man cabs

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
From the requirements listed in your original post: What about a Polaris Ranger with tracks?

You have the capability of four season utility with wheels and tires in the summer months and tracks in the winter. Some track set ups such as these claim they are an all-terrain-all season track.http://polarisconversions.com/ranger-tracks.php

You have a small bed in back and you can get a fully enclosed cab with heater, wipers, etc. and can also carry a couple of people if necessary.

hags

But that is already fixed up :hammer:

:read: So, an all season tracked vehicle that requires some TLC..

....how about a Cushman Trackster??...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ybCp2ShcaI"]Cushman Trackster Geo Engine 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

You can get them in just about any condition of disrepair you like....
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/rvs/3863796262.html

And they have new versions called the TerraTrack Range Runner if you want brand new parts... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5QrA9Uvys"]TerraTrack RangeRunner Promo video - YouTube[/ame]

It's a cool all season vehicle....hags

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the trickster is a novel idea the reality is the are short making them dangerous on hills and prone to endoing. they are also slow and lack cargo and passenger area the idea looks cool on paper but in application they are useless yes I have owned one.just an expensive toy.

hags

the trickster is a novel idea the reality is the are short making them dangerous on hills and prone to endoing. they are also slow and lack cargo and passenger area the idea looks cool on paper but in application they are useless yes I have owned one.just an expensive toy.

:ermm: So maybe a PPT or a Weasel??

hags