• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Classic TUCKER Sno-Cat movies!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Recently I received a DVD from Jack Sloan that has some pretty amazing OLD movies of some classic Tuckers. The little 222 Kitten starts the movie driving through some wetlands, mud, grass and finally snow. I'm amazed at how tightly that thing can turn on the grass. The film goes on to show a old mid-engine forward cab 2 pontoon Tucker, which is unlike anything I've ever seen from Tucker. There are other Tucker Sno-Cats that also are featured, to me they appear to be various 300 and 400 series Sno-Cats.

In very deep/steep snow the little 222 does seem to have some flotation trouble, but still manages to handle it. There are some chase scenes where a 300(?) series Tucker is chasing around the front cab/mid engine Tucker in deep snow and both handle it very well (until one of them hits a pine branch across the windshield but it does get past it, eventually).

There is also footage of the US Antarctic Research Program snowcats showing something that looks like 4 steel pontoons under a big rectangular shipping container with a windshield cut into it. The interior had bunks and an office. There also was footage of a 24 wheel chassis being testing that could turn inside its length, drive sideways, forwards or backwards, and it had a few other tricks too.

My favorite was the 3 pontoon open cab version, that appeared to be experimental.

I'm hoping to make copies of the DVD and make them available to all members who would like to have a copy. As DVDs cost more than CDs, I will probably have to charge a nominal fee, but only enough to cover the basic costs. If room allows for it, I will make the disk up with BOTH the Tucker Sno-Cat footage AND the Akitv Snow Trac footage. It would be easier for me to have one disk for both brands.

Anyway, I'm working on permissions for this stuff so give me a bit of time.

alaska741

:a1: :applause: Glad you have movies of the old Tuckers. I would sure like to receive a copy when you have them ready. Maybe you could get some pictures off the tape you have and post some pictures of the different models.:weneedpic
" NO SNOW TO DEEP"

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
alaska741 said:
I would sure like to receive a copy when you have them ready.
Not a problem, I'll certainly make them available to any member (even you!) :yankchain:
This is actually working out good that I didn't get the Snow Trac disk made because I'm pretty darn sure that I can get BOTH the Tucker and the Snow Trac videos on the same disk. If that is true, that saves me effort, and probably shipping costs too, I honestly think that if I can get both videos on 1 disk, I could probably charge $5 for a disk, that would include the cost of the DVD, shipping/handling, and whatever is left over would become a donation to the ForumsForums website to keep it up & running!

alaska741 said:
Maybe you could get some pictures off the tape you have and post some pictures of the different models.:weneedpic"
I thought of that too when I was watching this but I don't know how.

If you (or anyone) know how to grab a screen image of a movie that is playing I'd certainly like to know how. I have an Apple Mac computer, but at work I have Windows computers, so all I need are instructions (detailed and easy to understand because I don't claim to be too bright) and what programs are needed to do a screen grab.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
UPDATE, I am in the process of making a Master DVD. It currently has the Snow Trac Salvage Squad Restoration of my Snow Trac. I am hoping to add the Tucker movies to it Wednesday afternoon? After that is recorded, then I will add some additional Snow Trac home movies from Lyndon. So the DVD will contain both Tucker Sno-Cat and Activ Snow Trac footage.

The problem is while I can make master DVDs, I do not have a dual recorder deck to make DVD to DVD copies. I have to rely on a friend and his schedule to make those copies for me. So with any luck I will have the "master disk" done by early next week and put it in his hands so he can then make some copies. I have no idea if/when he will be able to do that for me, so I suspect a 'safe date' is probably 30 days from now or roughly October 1.

Is it unreasonable to charge $10 for each disk? I'd like to cover the cost of the disks, mailing, etc. Any profits after the costs will go to the Forums.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I would like a copy as well. Please let me know when they are ready and where to send the funds..

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The update at this time is that the "master disk" is at my office. They guy who can make the duplicates also works at my office. He is willing and able, but has to get the time to make the duplicates. I'm thinking of asking him to make 10 copies for me?

Do you guys think 10 copies is enough? Or do you think that more people might want them?

ALLEN PARSONS

I have seen some of these movies and it is neet to see what the old cats can do. I do like the two track because you can get into tight spaces. And you do not need a football field to turn around in.

Teeoster

I would love a copy too, We have a DVD duplicator in our IT department, I would be willing to make some copies if you like? If not please PM me for payment details......Thanks!:letitsnow:

woodworker 14

Bob: I just recieved the manual for the Sno-Kitten, thank you, also I would love to purchase a copy of the old movies, and $10.00 is fine with me. Also, My tucker is missing the tracks and I would like to fabricate them myself, do you have any specs on the cast chain, bearings etc...?? Larry Rawson

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Recently I received a DVD from Jack Sloan that has some pretty amazing OLD movies of some classic Tuckers. The little 222 Kitten starts the movie driving through some wetlands, mud, grass and finally snow. I'm amazed at how tightly that thing can turn on the grass. The film goes on to show a old mid-engine forward cab 2 pontoon Tucker, which is unlike anything I've ever seen from Tucker. There are other Tucker Sno-Cats that also are featured, to me they appear to be various 300 and 400 series Sno-Cats.

In very deep/steep snow the little 222 does seem to have some flotation trouble, but still manages to handle it. There are some chase scenes where a 300(?) series Tucker is chasing around the front cab/mid engine Tucker in deep snow and both handle it very well (until one of them hits a pine branch across the windshield but it does get past it, eventually).

There is also footage of the US Antarctic Research Program snowcats showing something that looks like 4 steel pontoons under a big rectangular shipping container with a windshield cut into it. The interior had bunks and an office. There also was footage of a 24 wheel chassis being testing that could turn inside its length, drive sideways, forwards or backwards, and it had a few other tricks too.

My favorite was the 3 pontoon open cab version, that appeared to be experimental.

I'm hoping to make copies of the DVD and make them available to all members who would like to have a copy. As DVDs cost more than CDs, I will probably have to charge a nominal fee, but only enough to cover the basic costs. If room allows for it, I will make the disk up with BOTH the Tucker Sno-Cat footage AND the Akitv Snow Trac footage. It would be easier for me to have one disk for both brands.

Anyway, I'm working on permissions for this stuff so give me a bit of time.
Bob I just found this how much for video footage of a Kristi in motion

I have seen some of these movies and it is neet to see what the old cats can do. I do like the two track because you can get into tight spaces. And you do not need a football field to turn around in.
A football field? I beg to differ! my 1742 long track wide track has a 20 ft turning radius and can take a switch back corner in one smooth pass as where a PB two track 13' takes three times backing up, tearing the beads off the tires and leaving a big mess behind, that comes from experience at 8000 ft and 4 ft of powder In Idaho, will be taking a 1202-b thiokol up this year, we will see if it even makes it up the hill! I will let you know.