• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Welcome Snow Trac Owners

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you guys have any photos of snow trac's that are not painted in the traditional " Red " post the pic's :weneedpic :weneedpic :weneedpic
Paul, do a couple searches and you will find some. I know we have some photos of a BLUE Snow Trac because I was considering painting mine blue, do a search for "blue snow trac" and you'll probably find it. There is also a Polish Snow Trac that is painted in red/white/black that is used as a TAXI CAB.

Off the top of my head, if you look up a member in the "Member List" by the name of 'flyingfor2' and pull up his posts you will see his GREEN Snow Trac. You may also want to look through the PHOTO GALLERY, there are probably a few in some of the various user galleries that are of non-red Snow Tracs.

Muzz69

Bob,

Some terrific stuff on here mate. Hoping to join you as an owner soon. Keep up the good work, how I found this place I'll never know....!:mrgreen:

Muzz

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a black and white one, which as you can see is mostly white, it was when we had our snow - not enough to play in though!

Attachments

• Various 008.jpg
    Various 008.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,178

pezman

Hi! I'm also new to the forums. I've bought a snow master from Bogie. There are no tags on it, so I'm not sure of the date. I belive it might be a '67 by looking at the tranny numbers and the suspension. Motor is a 1500cc industial single port. Missing original hood and most of grill and sheet metal around the engine compartment. I decided to restore/rebuild to as close to new as I can. Currently it has a three man cab made of steel. Most of the grousers are broken/ missing the "herring bone" peices. Thinking of trying to make my own. Have seen that several of you are trying the same. I have stripped down to the bare frame at this time. will post my photos soon of the tear down. already getting some new parts, starting on bearings and other small parts. time is hard to come by, so this will probably take a year or more. :( Need to replace the main frame rails as it appears to have been badly damaged in the past, (sectioned,bent, and twisted) But I'm really looking forward to getting into it! Today we have 8-10 inches of snow and it is -13 below (-24 inthe wind).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And this is Indiana!

Well that makes 2 confirmed Snow Trac in Indiana. There used to be an open top version that was used in Texas oil fields here in Indiana. It was for sale about 2 years ago. Never did find out where that one went to or if it is still in the state.

aksteve

Well, just worked a deal on a Sno Trac ST4 here in Eagle River, Ak. Ser.# is 58025 I think. The guy used it alot for moose hunting and never had it on the snow. Needs one or two boggie wheels and some brake work. Interior is rough but don't see much for body damage. The owner is going to help me do the work on the rig as he seems very knowlegable about them and I'm honestly not. Payed him a little more than I think it's worth but it comes with a trailer and he has some spare parts as well as tools, etc. Motivated to get it out in early May for a spring brown bear hunt in the hills. Will post pics soon.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
NEWS FLASH!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS FORUM SNOW CAT WEB SITE 'AKSTEVE'. YOUR SNOW TRAC WAS THE 29TH MACHINE BUILT OUT OF 2315+, MAKING IT ONE OF, IF NOT THE OLDEST RUNNING MACHINE I KNOW OF! CONGRATULATIONS! THIS IS ONE I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE, IN PERSON.
LYNDON.

aksteve

Lyndon, the gentleman I am purchasing it from is Ben Wade if that rings a bell? Nice guy and he made some interesting mods to the rig. One is a disc brake system which he never did get to work quit right but we are going to try and install some larger units and hope that helps. We are getting the unit into the shop on Monday to start working on it. Will get some pics out as soon as I can.
Thanks.

Moose Guy

Hello all,

Thank you for your time and grade into this site. It has been invaluable on many occasions for the Alaska Moose Federation. On our last project below Anchorage on the Coastal Wildlife Refuge, we stopped long enough to snap a couple of Forums worthy photos :biggrin: of our #1776 Snow Trac between runs. The first photo has Cook Inlet directly behind our Snow Trac with the Kenai Mountains rising up in the background.
Kincaid Photo #11.jpg
The second photo is where we took a break to capture the 2005 Bombardier GT 300 and the Snow Trac in front of Mt. Susitna in the background or otherwise known as Sleeping Lady because at sunset, the outline of the mountain has the perfect shape of a lady lying on her back . You know Alaska is a pretty cool place when your mountains are silhouetted so nicely! :whistling:
Kincaid Photo #12.jpg

shopman

Hi Moose Guy,
I was just watching Discovery Channel and "Alaska's Most Extreme" and there you were! About a 5 minute segment of your work protecting the Moose and the drivers on the highways. Great scenery & really great to see some snowcats in action on a "big time" channel! Great work and what a great way to spend some days... :clap: Saw some more snowcats on another Alaska program before that one. Awesome!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I joined the trac club last week with #185
My Bombi may be finding a new owner this fall.
snowtracontrailer1.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW that is an interesting green color!!!

We need more photos.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you will either love it or hate it you will find a better ride more room down side they are noisy kind of delicate but they are a over the snow transport not a tank or a cat and they work good for what they were ment for congrats on the new snow trac.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW that is an interesting green color!!!

We need more photos.

It was painted to match State Of Washington DOT rigs, so that the owner could avoid vandalism.

It's the one in the first part of "Larry Olson's" story.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=7954

More people have probably seen this little green cat than any other ST4 built:

Pictures In Hemmings Motor News (circulation about 20 Million), Hot VW's((12 Million Subscribers, another 12 million copies sold at news stands), VW Trends, (2 Million subscribers, another 10 million at the stands), and several European VW Magazines that I don't know the names of, or circulation numbers. A Well traveled machine: Sweden to Prince Rupert BC, To Sumner Wa, To various car shows, to Stampeed Pass,(passes thru 2 owners hands at stampeed pass washington), To Enumclaw Washington.
When I get back to washington from alaska I will bicycle over(about 10 miles) to Jim's place and give him THE ORIGINAL BRITTISH COLUMBIA LICENSE PLATES! I wondered why I never could pawn those off on somebody.
"AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY" or at least the next chapter.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
wished youhad some thing on my snow trac but i suppose you never owned one here in north western ak

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking forward to having you over. That will make a good addition to my plate collection.
Jim

Last edited:

llewis7249

Hello Forum. I'm not a track owner (yet). Recently sold my deuce and a half after restoring her to daily driver capability. My family lived in Misawa, Japan in the early 60's -- way north on the island of Honshu, compliments of the USAF. Winters could be brutal -- snow one floor deep. My dad was incharge of the motor pool, so as soon as the runways were cleared and essential roads open, he'd make a milk/bread run to the house in a 4T10W. It confused me for years -- it was called a Weasel, but sure didn't look like the M29 series.

To shorten a long, boring story, I was cleaning out some things and ran across a couple of photos of his ride. They were also used on the beach to service the gunnery/bombing range along the coast. I could occasionally hop a ride to watch the jets do their thing. And that's where my interest rekindled.

Live in Florida, but have a cabin northeast of Asheville, NC.

I really enjoy the builds and commentary on the forum. Thanks.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings Everyone: I am the new owner of #2116. Just got it home, a few minor repairs then to find some snow next weekend for a "operator training".

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings Everyone: I am the new owner of #2116. Just got it home, a few minor repairs then to find some snow next weekend for a "operator training".

Operator Training is sort of an overstatement. Its a good cover story to tell your wife. Make her think you are NOT having any fun. :whistling:

And welcome to the group :clap:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
snow tracs are a little more complex to operate than krusties as krustys never move they stay in a shop or on a trailer as a conversation piecs things to remember it's not a tank be gentel with it and never operate the steering wheel with out the vehicle moving as the little st'25' are geting hard to find good luck and post lots of pictures

Ps always fill the tank it's embarrising when a snow trac owner has to walk home you tend to get a lot of heckling from the krusty crowd

Last edited:

danoneal

Hi there,
My name is Dan and recently acquired a 1965 Snow Trac #708. He is currently making his way down from Kenai, Alaska to the Seattle area and we are very excited to receive him. I am looking for some advice as to how to register him. Is my only option to register him as ORV as he has no skis he can not be registered as a snow mobile. How much does this limit where he can and can't go. I have heard about the jamboree in Leavenworth. What type of license is needed to participate in this event? I have enjoyed the information I have gotten from this forum so far and what ever advice you can offer would be welcomed as I have never driven a Snow Trac as yet. I look forward to meeting others with information and interest.
Dan O

Attachments

• K7A13151268B7B_1000367.jpg
    K7A13151268B7B_1000367.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 556

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you got some incorrect information if it is for Washington. yes register it as a snowmobile. this has been gone over many times on this fourm.
jim
I am SE of seattle 30 miles if you need any help pm me.
my links will tell you about the jamboree