• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB: BV-206 Flywheel (Flexplate) V6 Gas

garygaboury

Hey guys.. I had to go rescue our hagglunds off he hill when the operator told me the starter had gone. Once i got it down and apart it turns out the teeth are ground off the flywheel in one section and ready to go in 3 or 4 more..

That leaves me looking for a source for parts.. I'm having a guy weld on a few new teeth and grind them to match but I know thats no more than a band-aid. I would love a new 24Vstarter and flex plate. Does anyone here have one? Anyone know where to look? My local parts guy wouldn't even believe me ford made a 2.8l V6.

Between the motor and trans there is an adaptor, this flywheel is special to take up the approx 1 1/2" thickness of that adaptor.

The Specs:
1984 Halunds BV-206
Ford Gas Industrial V6 2.8l
Mercedes Auto trans.
24V

Thanks in Advance.
Gary

Whistler BC Ca (Olympic Madness!!)

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I think I'd find a new parts guy...

If you Google "Ford 2.8 v6" you'll find that Ford used a 2.8L V-6 in their Capri's and that the 2.8L V-6 in the Ranger pickups use an engine that's the same design as the one used in the Capri.

I'm a bit confused by the title of your post as a "flywheel" is used with manual transmissions and a "flexplate" with automatics.

Most people don't bother, but with a flywheel you can replace the ring gear. Typically on a flexplate the ring gear is skip welded to it, and in the process of cutting the old welds and then welding the new ring gear you would likely destroy the balancing.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I'd find a new parts guy...

If you Google "Ford 2.8 v6" you'll find that Ford used a 2.8L V-6 in their Capri's and that the 2.8L V-6 in the Ranger pickups use an engine that's the same design as the one used in the Capri.

I'm a bit confused by the title of your post as a "flywheel" is used with manual transmissions and a "flexplate" with automatics.

Most people don't bother, but with a flywheel you can replace the ring gear. Typically on a flexplate the ring gear is skip welded to it, and in the process of cutting the old welds and then welding the new ring gear you would likely destroy the balancing.
i'ts a military vehicle and the nomenclature for that part is a flywheel check with boggie he may have one and yes they are vehicle specific you will also find the water pump is special and check the water pump drive pulley for cracking.

garygaboury

Thanks for the replys guys. I used both names since this machine seems to have both..... It is an auto transmission. Bolted to the engine is what can best be described as a flywheel with ring gear. The ring gear is welded to the outside and I would be worried about balancing if we tried to re weld it..

Bolted to the "flywheel" is a "flexplate" that I would expect to see in an automatic transmission. I believe this set up is to accomodate the adaptor to mate the mercedes trans to the ford block... The Torque convertor bolts to the flexplate as you would expect in a normal auto trans..

Still looking.. I'll PM boggie but I really have no idea how to find this part..

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I have a bit of light...

Gary

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the replys guys. I used both names since this machine seems to have both..... It is an auto transmission. Bolted to the engine is what can best be described as a flywheel with ring gear. The ring gear is welded to the outside and I would be worried about balancing if we tried to re weld it..

Bolted to the "flywheel" is a "flexplate" that I would expect to see in an automatic transmission. I believe this set up is to accomodate the adaptor to mate the mercedes trans to the ford block... The Torque convertor bolts to the flexplate as you would expect in a normal auto trans..

Still looking.. I'll PM boggie but I really have no idea how to find this part..

I'll take some pics tomorrow when I have a bit of light...

Gary
i'd delt with that system in the past but uncle sam bought diesel powered bv's and parts are not interchangable you might try removing the flywheel and see if your local machine shop can remove the ring gear and replace it i looked it up in the parts book to see how they addapted it you may want to go down to your mercedes dealer and see if there is an automotive flex plate you could buy for it you will have to have your old one in hand to compare if you find an automotive substatute i would like the part number my closeset dealer is over 1000 milles away and a $500.00 plane ticket .

garygaboury

Thanks me911 I had ever seen that first link before..

Update:
I paid a guy a lot of money to weld a couple teeth on and grind them into the approximate shape of the others.. If I had of know that was his plan I may have gone another route. While putting it back together I managed to break a brass transmission fitting. Looks like I don't know my own strength.

Living in Whistler has challenges.. one of them is HYD fittings.. I made a bunch of calls and ended up driving 130+kms to come up with a solution that will work. I'm still trying to find the fitting but in the mean time we are back up and running. I've attached pics of the broken part and the "solution".

While dealing with this issue I managed to snap the floating front axle on our BR 275 snowcat. It must have been cracked and I had missed it.. I look everything over at 50hours so I don't know how I didn't see it..It took priority and the poor BV got pushed back.

The BV is now up and running on the old flywheel and old starter again and I am still looking to buy replacements today...I've yet to search to hard since I have been so buzy with cats and olympics....

I\ve attached pics of the adaptop between the trans and motor, as well as the flywheel and flexplate for reference.

Thanks again for the input, I'll keep this thread updated when I find parts..
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 328

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i hope that fix works ok for you that starter engauges pretty hard now i supose you understand why even with my extensive experiance with these rigs they are not my first choice also you would have been better off to pull the whole power pack engine and all if you are interested i think i might hav access to the lifting aperatus i know there are pics in mu electronic manuals its nothing more than a i beam and trolley works slick engine and trans go out through the drivers rear door

Whew, I'm glad to see I'm not the only poor bastard working on his snowcat out in the elements. Looks looks you're wearing a rain coat too and the weather looks a little sloppy? The best part of having to drive so far for your parts is it gives a guy a chance to warm up and dry out.:fr2:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
its a fact of life if you drive a snow cat it will break in a bad spot and some day you will be fixing it on the trail not too long ago i was pulling a parts axle off the parts rig at -20 glad i'm not doing it today its -37 now