• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

radio

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am going to add some radios soon and need some suggestions. i will be getting a large 100w motorla and possably a multi band amature . it will be in my pistenbully canyon. jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
when working s&r radios are needed Jim if you are wanting an hf radio I would look into one of those newer icom general coverage riggs i'm generally partial to older units like my ts140 but in a mobile application it's tough to beat the new radios if you get a new gc rig still put in a dual band fm radio if you smoke a radio it sucks to have all your eggs in 1 expensive basket.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I talked to our severely under paid radio guy and the SAR motorolal can also be programmed to also use some of the amature ham bans and still have the forest dept and search aand rescue at the same time. Only thing is you need a laptop to add /remove or change frequencies. So you can't just enter a simplex or new one .
i have a 3 bander in my newer truck that will work with the GMRS and a FT2900 75 watt 2 meter that isn't being used on my self right now.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you couldn't give me any thing that has an ft model number any more. I have issues with the company's ideas of service, for my money if cost is an issue than it's one of the new Chinese radios or an alnico radios if I feel like spoiling my self it's a kenwood or an icom. as for commercial radios, if you are going that way which is a good one, if you have one of those 100 channel models you can likely stick in all your repeaters and, it's not likely a snow cat is going to travel out of your service area so something field programmable may not be necessary.do remember that all commercial coms are narrow band now so don't forget to program the ham stuff for wide band.