• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford "Raptor" pick up truck ~ yikes!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my friends pulled up with his brand new Ford Raptor. Its probably the most bad-assed F150 to roll of the assembly line and if you want a truck that turns heads, is capable, and costs $55,000+ then this truck is for you.

The Raptor is a factory built, highly modified, lifted, tricked out, F-150 pick up. 33" tires. 3" lift with double Fox offroad shocks. Crew cab with tons of rear seat leg room or, with the seat flipped up, as much interior cargo room as I have in the back of my Touareg with the seats folded down!

The front seats are not simply heated, they are also air conditioned by way of a cool air blower that cools the seats, and your body, through the perforated leather. And the seats are the best seats I've ever sat in. Better than seats in an Aston Martin, they suck you in and provide plenty of side support to. Not sure how many ways they can be adjusted but I had no problem getting the drivers seat to fit me for my test drive. Seriously well shaped, I'd love those seats in any vehicle.

If you are a luddite and shun modern electronics this truck is NOT for you. Everything pretty much runs through a computer system, the phone, Sat Nav, climate control, Sirius radio, etc all run through a giant touch screen built into the central column of the dashboard. I'm guessing the screen is a good 7" diagonal, perhaps larger. The computer also extends to the dashboard screen that sits in front of the steering wheel, where it allows you, in full color, to check all the diagnostics of the engine, fuel economy, set your preferences, etc. On top of all that, there is the Ford "SYNC" system that connects up your iPod, cell phone, etc.

For real work there is a built in trailer brake package. I didn't check to see the towing capacity. There are also 4 additional switches for auxilary lights, winches, or whatever you choose to add, built into the dash. In the rear passenger area there is a 150-Watt 120-Volt inverter so you can plug in a coffee maker, computer, etc. There is also a rear 12 volt accessary jack.

Not sure what is under the hood but I got it to spin the tires effortlessly. OK that is pretty easy in a pick up truck. But I was in 4wd!

Not sure I'd buy one, I think I'm a bit too old to be driving one of these things. Apparently they are selling for about $1000 to $3000 above the sticker price. Ford's A-Plan does not apply. Apparently a lot of them are being bought locally, shipped to Alaska, where they sell at a super-premium price?

I didn't take photos, but this is what it looks like. Notice the wider fenders, vented hood, lots of LED marker lights, etc:
2012-Ford-F-150-SVT-Raptor-020.jpg

2012-Ford-F-150-SVT-Raptor-018.jpg

2012-Ford-F-150-SVT-Raptor-023.jpg

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Pretty Sexy. I like the new Dodge Power Wagon too . . .

2012%2BDodge%2BPower%2BWagon%2B1.jpg

That being said non of these trucks are practical anymore. I wouldn't trust one of these things out in the sticks or backwoods.

They are also way too expensive for the average Joe.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i wouldn't owne a ford if it was the last truck on earth and the powerwagon needs a cummins diesel an the old pawer wagon body still it's better than a ford

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
i wouldn't owne a ford if it was the last truck on earth and the powerwagon needs a cummins diesel an the old pawer wagon body still it's better than a ford

I own 46 vehicles. I will take the Ford over anything else.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
It kind of reminds me of the GMC viper truck that I owned for awhile. It would do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds flat even faster than a corvette and only a V6 to boot. Problem was no more than 500 lbs in the bed so not much in the way of a truck. Though I own a 90 Ford Mustang GT I've never been a fan of Ford trucks or trucks in general though I've owned a few.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Who sold the most

Pickup Sales

• The Ford F-Series (F-150, F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550) is the country's best selling truck for the 34th year in a row and the best selling vehicle for the 29th consecutive year
  • December was the strongest sales month in the last year for Ford F-Series, Chevy Silverado, Ram, GMC Sierra and Toyota Tacoma
  • For the first time since 2001, sales of Ford F-Series (528,349) were greater than combined sales of Chevrolet Avalanche, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickups (520,444)
  • Full sales report for 2010 coming soon with light-duty versus heavy-duty sales figures

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes 46 vehicles. Well the Corporation does.

I find that funny myself as I had about 60 in one year. Now to spell it out is was during the Carter gas shortage and I was buying high end American and Euro cars and sold them all for a profit within the year too. I probably owned half again as many motorcycles also in my life.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
fyi, the raptor is a pretty serious offroad vehicle.

Yup. It may be tricked out with lots of toys and gizmos but its got the heart of a lion underneath those comfy seats and that fancy paint. Even to my untrained eyes I could see there was more wheel travel in those wheel wells than you find in most trucks that go off road. The suspension is lifted enough that you can get your head comfortably between the top of the tire and the fender to inspect the dual gas shocks.

As for the debate on brands. . . I was a GMC man in my younger days. Then GM and Chrysler took government money and screwed every one of its stockholders. Then the government sold Chrysler to Fiat and it is no longer an American owned brand. FORD didn't accept the money, kept its promises, and if I buy an American vehicle it will be a Ford.

Trakternut

What motor do they have? My King Ranch is getting 22 mpg on the highway and roughly 18 in town. I don't think that is too bad.

Not sure of the engine, but, a fella, here, who bought a new Raptor within the year claimed a whopping 9 mpg. :doh: Course, if you can afford 55-grand, gas shouldn't be an issue either.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If you ever worked on one, you'd change your mind, Bob. Every newer Ford that I have had the opportunity to work on was a fragile-plastic POS (This applies to the GM offerings as well...)

Murph, your king ranch is a diesel, right? No diesel options in the half ton trucks in the US. (Thank your local ecco-nazi communist friends in the government.)

At the moment, I don't think that I would buy any new domestic vehicle. I may buy a new Jetta TDi Wagon in the spring. But other than that, I'll keep my old (94) Dodge-Cummins and old (01) Jetta TDi Sedan.

jwstewar

Hell if you got the cash and like the looks, one thing= just don't jump it.....

http://www.autospies.com/news/Ford-Raptor-Owners-Report-Frame-Problems-65239/

I've heard of quite a few folks having this problem, some hadn't even left the pavement. Obviously Furd did something to the frame of these trucks and severly weakend it when they strengthened it :whistling:

I remember right after we bought our property I had some dirt piled up probably 14 - 16" or so. My wife were in my then new '99 Silverado. I was having some fun and in 4wd coming through the "yard" - it was a soybean field when we bought it. Running probably 30 - 35 MPH in the yard in 4wd. Forgot about that pile/row of dirt until I saw it and it was too late. We hit it and launched that truck up in the air probably a good 3'. Once we landed and I was able to get my foot back on the pedal from the bounce, truck took off spinning all 4 tires again. Monica started hitting me and yelling at me, you could've killed our baby bouncing us like that. She was a few months pregnant. That part wasn't funny, but how well the truck did was. Gotta say, that Silverado sure has seen the abuse throughout its 12 years of life. Still going strong and performing well with only minimal repairs (< $250 for all of them)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Murph, your king ranch is a diesel, right? No diesel options in the half ton trucks in the US. (Thank your local ecco-nazi communist friends in the government.).

Nope 5.4 Triton. My MPG on it is better than my son who got the Eco-Boast. His is not broken in yet either.