• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cow farts collected in plastic tank for global warming study

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
God - please save us from ourselves! :shock:

Cow farts collected in plastic tank for global warming study

By Rupert Neate
Last Updated: 9:55PM BST 09/07/2008

Scientists are examining cow farts and burps in a novel bid to combat global warming.

cow-gas-tank-404_686141c.jpg

Argentine scientists are strapping plastic tanks to the backs of cows
Experts said the slow digestive system of cows makes them a key producer of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that gets far less public attention than carbon dioxide.
In a bid to understand the impact of the wind produced by cows on global warming, scientists collected gas from their stomachs in plastic tanks attached to their backs.
The Argentine researchers discovered methane from cows accounts for more than 30 per cent of the country's total greenhouse emissions.
Article continuesadvertisement
As one of the world's biggest beef producers, Argentina has more than 55 million cows grazing in its famed Pampas grasslands.
Guillermo Berra, a researcher at the National Institute of Agricultural Technology, said every cow produces between 8000 to 1,000 litres of emissions every day.
Methane, which is also released from landfills, coal mines and leaking gas pipes, is 23 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide.
Scientists are now carrying out trials of new diets designed to improve cows's digestion and hopefully reduce global warming. Silvia Valtorta, of the National Council of Scientific and Technical Investigations, said that by feeding cows clover and alfalfa instead of grain "you can reduce methane emissions by 25 percent".

Or at least save this cow from these scientists!

American Woman

Site Supporter
I'm wondering where the other end of that hose is? Or do they have a suction cup covering the cow's butt? How do they know if the cow needs to drop a pattie?

American Woman

Site Supporter
That wouldn't be fair to the poor cow :shock: Poor thing is standing there with that hose up her butt, and the pack on her back and you wanna to set fire to her too?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
That wouldn't be fair to the poor cow :shock: Poor thing is standing there with that hose up her butt, and the pack on her back and you wanna to set fire to her too?

No, Cruel is the guy that put that getup in the name of science on that poor cow's back to get a "Grant" for "Millions" of dollars to tell us that cow farts have replaced the Buffalo Farts over the last 100 years...duh... Why didn't I think of that!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I read a report a few years back that said that termites were the biggest producers of methane on the planet just because of their sheer numbers. Don't ask me how they strapped the tank on the back of a termite and got the tube up its butt. :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Cityboy

Banned
Some farmers here in the U.S. have been using critter poop for fuel for years. From what I've heard, they collect the poop in a large container and somehow collect the methane that waifts up from it and heat their dairy barns and other buildings.

sports850

I'm wondering where the other end of that hose is? Or do they have a suction cup covering the cow's butt? How do they know if the cow needs to drop a pattie?

Nope , it goes directly into the cow's last stomach through it's side :shock: . The cow's probably walking around wondering why it can't fart .