• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wood stove designed by a idiot....

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have owned two free standing wood stoves.

I still own them both.
The RAVE:
The first was a earth stove. had a nice piece of granite on it for a heat sink, it was a demo and I was broke. Best stove ever worked well misered wood, accepted a water modification burned clean, slowly over 15 years I decided the warping metal inside either needed a bottle jack or the machine should be replaced.

I did both. I straightened up the abuse and gave a coat of paint and assinged it to a secondary role in a summer home.

The Rant:

The POS energy pacifica. Has a nice euro look. Fuel storage underneath integral ash pan including a internal ash clean out. I bought it for its outside air supply ability and clearances.

We are in year 4-5 maybe more with an OK stove. this year has been a bit colder than normal and I find the stove to be a liability not an asset.
Today I decided to look into the inards to see why I can't shut the fire off I feel air tight stoves should be just that...... Would you believe there is a Air wash port in the front half of the stove that has no control on it. 5/8 hole not ported to the outside air channel. I had to pull that POS down to the frame to find it.

It is now plugged.
The fire is under my control.
Maybe the next 5 years will be better.

Off soap box.
I feel better for sharing

Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
a buddy of mine has some sort of cab approved wood stove it doesn't get hot to the touch on the out side. it also has a catyletic converter in the inside problem is it doesn't heat the house worth a $hit either . my understanding is it has some kind of double wall construction so you cant get burned but I have no clue were the heat is going.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it is a snow day today. apparently -20 is OK but -30 is where E central WI gives in..... The wood stove is significantly more effiecient and I can't believe it took me this long to look into this stove.

the Glass stays clean, the wood last much longer. I am going to call pacific energy and inquire about the purpose of that air. Doubt they will discuss it with me, but I think they would want to make the fusion model more desirable.....

Mike

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
We had an Earth Stove in our last place out in the country, and it gave us wonderful heat for very little effort for a decade.
Since we couldn't use it when we moved into town we sold it to the folks that took over the country place; I expect it's still
going strong.

We miss that stove. There is a quality to the "live heat" you get from a good wood stove that other systems can't duplicate.
When we can move back into a more rural setting you can bet we'll be heating with an airtight stove once again!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Agreed.
I was raised in a house heated with wood.
I ran around sowing oats and learning how to be an adult then settled in a farm house to make a family.
I lived here (rural dumpy farm house) for about 4 years and it never really was a home...... then money started to be made and the wood stove showed up *earth stove* and this house was a home.

this current stove is putting up a fight for me to like it..... I think I am winning....

Mike