• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Expedition Rig!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is a pic of an Expedition rig. Anyone have something simular or have pics of your favorite Expedition rigs?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Pic

Attachments

• Preview of “C306 Expedition .jpg 1224×1584 pixels”.jpg
    Preview of “C306 Expedition .jpg 1224×1584 pixels”.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 398

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I spotted 'The Turtle' somewhere out west a couple of years ago and looked them up online. http://www.turtleexpedition.com/

You can see 5 generations of their quest for the perfect rig and the build details of number 5.

t1.JPG

t2.JPG

t3.JPG

There were better off-road pictures of number 4...but then again there weren't. :brows:

t4.JPG

You need to read and see the build details of number 5 on the web site to really appreciate what went into it. That rear cabin was built by hand, by them.

t5.JPG

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I followed each of there builds and journeys in I believe it was 4 Wheeler Magazine. My friend Wayne Hanson built there bumper for the Durango project (not pictured above). Years later after they were sponsored by another bumper company they changed the name of who supplied them with the front bumper. I'm sure it wasnt a mistake. Anyway they sure have some stories to tell.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
You got that right! A quarter million $ on the Ford chassis, twice that on an International or Unimog chassis. And that's just the US versions.

Apparently they build two fancier levels for overseas. The sheik special on MAN chassis (46k gvw 6x6!) must cost a sheik's ransom.

The capabilities of any of these must be awesome.

A while back on YouTube I saw a Dakar Rally type race of similar trucks, I think all made in Russia. That has to be a rich man's sport.

And I remember reading the Turtle series. I think it ran in PV4 (Pickup, Van, 4wd) for a while. What the heck was the name of their old-fart columnist, the Hunter Thompson guy?

Great finds, all of you!

Edit - That columnist was Granville somebody?? Granville King?

Last edited:

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Granville King. Knew more about jeeps than the people at jeep. Killed in an auto accident. Our loss.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
This is for sale not far from me.....do the math on the money it's a bargain.

Excellent running condition; ideal for promotions / military enthusiasts. 6 litre multifuel diesel engine, 21,000 miles & 700 hours. Rear body fitted with 240 volt sockets (connect to mains or generator) & wall brackets for monitors. Iincludes steel steps and platform for public access.£6000.

Attachments

• 41538.jpg
    41538.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 295

sports850

The trucks seem like a bit of overkill though guy's , this mini has travelled the overland route from London to Australia (through Iraq , Afghanistan , Pakistan , Asia etc with some pretty horrific terrain) in 1968 and then back to London again through China and Russia in 1999 . Maybe something a little bigger (mid sized 4wd perhaps) would be more suitable for the comforts now instead of a truck given fuel prices (especially in remote areas ...) .

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4876.jpg

If you ever find the book "Don't kiss me , it's very terrible" (title came from a very bad Chinese/English translation on a bus that meant don't hit the bus) by John and Carys Pollard grab it , it's worth a read .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd still love a Pinzgauer. I actually found one with a diesel engine conversion and am kicking myself for not buying it. I have no use for it, but it would be a blast.