• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Original purchase price for Snowtrac ST4 and ST4B?

dansvan

My buddy was asking me about my Trackmaster tonight and was wondering what they sold for new. Any ideas what dealers were getting for the St4 and ST4B back in the days? It would be cool to run across some old invoices from the 80's, 70's, 60's etc.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a "Price List" from the dealer in Washington, a place that doesn't exists any more. They got around 6000 $ new for a Snow Trac. The Cab was like 750 $ extra! >
At a Vintage VW Meet a machanic that had worked there told the following story: Upon arrival at the dealer ship (they also handeled Bombardier and Case) the machine, which was on a big pallet, got dropped on it's side when they were attempting to unload it. They took pictures, insureance people showed up, and it stayed on it's side all day. After the Insureance guy's split they tippped it back up and never ended up having to do any repairs. It seemed to run fine and was sold with out any further servicing.

The "FBI" Rig, it's 2 sisters, and most of the Washington machines came from this dealership.

At yet another VW Vintage meet, a well dressed old man and his wife approached me. He said that a local ski area had approached him about fitting one of the machines with a Supercharger, which he did. Later the Ski Area, Near Stephens Pass Washington, called him up and said "this thing blows the doors off all out other machines" . It was at this point that I noticed his hand embroidred ball cap said "I'M GENE", and realized that this was world famous VW GURU Gene Berg. Later, after he left, another gentelman who I always reffered to as;"The King of NOS", Bill Derickx, asked me if I was aware that I had been talking to GENE BERG? Bill Derickx had accumulated the largest collection of Vintage New/Old Stock VW parts in the world. He bought out entire dealerships of their inventory. While at his shop one time I witnessed a guy from Cal arrive by Taxi from the Seattle Airport, ask for some Semiphors. Bill said: "Plastic are 300, Metal are 700" The guy didn't even hesitate, rolled out 1400$ and had a big smile on his face when he got back in the waiting Cab. Of course they were New, Still in the original Boxes from 1954. Somebody is sure to ask what 'semiphores' are so I will prevail on one of our other members to locate a picture and post it.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent years trying to locate the Supercharged ST4 built up by Gene Berg. No luck. Most Supercharged VW's of the 60's blew-up or burned-up. "Still on the hunt for Red"! Earl and I went into a bar in a near by town asking around. Some local told us that some survivalists/possibly skinhead up such and such road had it. He sold it to an illeagle alien Russian in so and so town.... It will always be "the one that got away".
More on Price:>
I spoke with the purchasing agent for the Canadian Railways in Eastern Canada. He said that they paid over $15,000 for the last one they purchased. This was common. Another dealer addmitted to me that since there was such a significant price difference, any other make of Snow Cat costing 3 to 4 times as much, they would often hike up the price a bunch.