• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pan handeling on tv

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just finished watching the evening news just about every night there is some cause wanting us to give up our money. than right after another story an advertisement. what is wrong with these folks. the administrators of these organization's are making hundreds of thousands of dollars while they are asking others to donate time and money to their cause. just like the Jack wadd who wanted me to take time off from work for a week last year and run my snow trac for a week on a trail staking project . I told him I cant do it for free he gave me the sob story about how his funds are limited, than I find out he is making over a hundred k a year. and he doesn't even live here. piss off he can spend some money in the community that's what his grant was for. I know some f these organization's do some good like the American red cross, we all know they are there .please don't make us feel bad because we don't have the money to donate, the dollar just doesn't stretch as far anymore. I'm just tired of being bombarded by adds please give us your money so we can spend it on someone else.

Now you all really think I'm tight I bet.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Most of those bleeding heart beggars are bogus. The ads are run by third party promoters who contract with the organization, and turn over a predetermined percentage of the monies collected to the organization. It's usually in the 3-5% range (some even lower), with the rest going to the promoter for salaries, consulting fees, etc.. If you believe in a cause, try to give to the local organization, not some late night TV ad. Good people are duped into believing their money is all going to the cause, so it's incumbent on the donor to do their homework. Here's some interesting data on the 50 worst charities...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/worst-charities/

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Most of those bleeding heart beggars are bogus. The ads are run by third party promoters who contract with the organization, and turn over a predetermined percentage of the monies collected to the organization. It's usually in the 3-5% range (some even lower), with the rest going to the promoter for salaries, consulting fees, etc.. If you believe in a cause, try to give to the local organization, not some late night TV ad. Good people are duped into believing their money is all going to the cause, so it's incumbent on the donor to do their homework. Here's some interesting data on the 50 worst charities...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/worst-charities/

I use to get calls all the time for money . Not so much now . When they called I would say GREAT IDEA ! Then I would tell them i'll run right down and donate to my local charity so the money does good where I live . Man , they did not like that .
The Sheriff Dept chairty were the worst . Made you think they were a officer . I use to ask to speak to the Capt .That usually ended the conversation .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jev Its funny that article mentioned the breast cancer foundation that's the one getting the free press on the evening news. just to make things clear I'm not a total scrooge as we have a young lady who is parylized from the neck down so she has some special equipment. I seem to be the one called when it needs some work. and I might add I never ask for a dime. this is how I give back what happened to us jush helping neighbors and family.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If they can afford tv ads, radio spots, or phone calls, they certainly don't need my money.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, when I found out just how little of my donation actually went to a specified charity I stopped making any and all charitable donations.

Now, the only charity I give to is the Salvation Army. I even stopped giving to the Red Cross after they diverted money collected for a specific disaster to fund some of their other projects.

I guess that makes me a tightwad too. I still give my time and tools and equipment to help certain local non-profit organizations but you can bet that non of their directors is making a six figure salary and flying first class all over the world on my dollar.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I even stopped giving to the Red Cross after they diverted money collected for a specific disaster to fund some of their other projects.

Yep, Dad was hell on wheels when it came to the RED Cross . Seems that during the WWII, my Dad, a military man at the time was given a blanket then they wanted him to pay a dollar for it .
That finished it for him . He really opened his wallet for the Salvation Army but the REd Cross got Zilch from then on .
I still follow this method of giving .
Fuck the Red Cross .

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Yep, Dad was hell on wheels when it came to the RED Cross . Seems that during the WWII, my Dad, a military man at the time was given a blanket then they wanted him to pay a dollar for it .
That finished it for him . He really opened his wallet for the Salvation Army but the REd Cross got Zilch from then on .
I still follow this method of giving .
Fuck the Red Cross .

That's basically what my mom said she heard from her friends that were in WW II. The Red Cross would sell cups of coffee to the G.I.'s & the Salvation army gave it away.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
That's basically what my mom said she heard from her friends that were in WW II. The Red Cross would sell cups of coffee to the G.I.'s & the Salvation army gave it away.

That matches my experiences working floods on the Mississippi River years back. The Salvation army was giving
away hot soup, coffee, and decent sandwiches to folks working the levies, while the Red Cross was selling coffee at
$0.50 a small cup and dry bologna sandwiches on stale white bread for a dollar apiece. They do some good things for
service people with family emergencies, but that's about all I can say about them that's nice.