• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need some advice, WA state.

PJL

So, one would think that working for a government agency would mean we don't get jerked around by other government agencies. Wrongo!

The people I work with want the LMC 1200 titled and licensed. Okay, no big deal you say. It came from the DOD which doesn't title and license equipment in the normal way. Our local DOL office now wants a value on the cat before completing the process. There is no Kelly Blue Book on these. So I need some sort of official appraisal. Anyone have an idea?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
pete, the value would be the cost of it being replaced with the same. the indian tribe just bought a good running one for $15,000 in reno .

PJL

I saw the pics you sent. Looks very nice. Wonder if I can show that to DOL?

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
go to Enumclaw DOL.
pictures for the doolers . loaded for feeding elk.

muckleshoot%20sprite_1.jpg

muckleshoot%20sprite.jpg

Muckleshoot%20sprite%202.jpg

So, one would think that working for a government agency would mean we don't get jerked around by other government agencies. Wrongo!

The people I work with want the LMC 1200 titled and licensed. Okay, no big deal you say. It came from the DOD which doesn't title and license equipment in the normal way. Our local DOL office now wants a value on the cat before completing the process. There is no Kelly Blue Book on these. So I need some sort of official appraisal. Anyone have an idea?

You should be able to find an equipment appraiser that can value the cat. Try your local Caterpillar or tractor dealer and see if they have one or know of one.

mikemikelle

I just went thru this with DOL. The Imp that I have came from Colorado, and didn't have a title. Gave them a copy of the Craigslist add that showed the asking price, and they accepted that as the value. They licensed it as an ORV, and sent me a small green license plate that says "Restricted Vehicle", and gave me month and year tabs to apply.

I argued for "Vintage snow mobile" status, since you only have to purchase once ever, but the definition of "snowmobile" had "continuous track", and "ski steering", so they wouldn't buy it. Also had a lot of trouble since "Thiokol" was not in their database. After 3 trips over there, and several phone calls, they finally called it "Logan Machine Co." which shows on the Registration as "Make 0303" (somebody prior to me had got that into their database). I argued that Thiokol predates, but nobody would listen (wanted it correct for future title). It is considered "ownership in question" since it came from another state, but after 3 years it will have a nice shiny Washington Title.

Sno-Surfer

I wonder on a Tucker if you took the tracks off the front pontoons and then called it ski steering if they'd go for the vintage snowmobile gig. I know I tried in both OR and WA to register the snow trac to no avail but I had no vin# or title either.
Just trying to be creative. :wink:

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
The ID plate seems to be gone on the 1450 I just bought in Tahoe. I'm getting a bill of sale based on the engine ID. I'll take that in to DOL and see how I do.

mikemikelle

The other thing that threw them was the fact that I had only a 3 digit serial number. Had to show 4 different pictures, gradually panning down to a size where they could read the data plate (to show it was the actual one attached). That same data plate has "Thiokol" as the manufacturer, which they wouldn't accept (from my prior post), but yet accepted the VIN, weight, year, etc.

Since I traded a car of equal value, it was not subject to tax (after much more grief), so after they spent time arguing, did a bunch of research, made several calls to the state, and much head scratching...the total was $56 for titling, licensing, taxes, and paperwork.

Brilliance!

I have a question seeing how I live in upstate ny----if you were using a tractor to haul hay what would you require for a reg.-----what would they want if you put tracks on a tractor----what would they want if you bought a factory tracked tractor-----here in my state we use the slow moving triangle--even on r side by sides------I was stopped and got a ticket on my Polaris ranger----I took it to court and asked if I would have been stopped on my tractor--------answer NO-----they threw ticket out----anything ag. in my state helps get around state laws----iam building a 7500 chevy truck as a play toy and I will be putting ag plates on it----it gets me around dot laws-----the other thing we deal with is with all the different sized sbs/utv the law cant keep up with what should be registered or not---and we keep saying how can they sell it but tell us we cant ride it----new York state has been working on vintage snowmobile reg. for years and we still don't have it---------so how many years will it take for different off road reg.----lol---they hate wheelers and sbs in new York state----but sure like us when they have a search and rescue going on ---or when I got my rzr across a swamp with 30 swampers to haul a dead hunter out---than we r ok

Attachments

• 7500 dually 017.jpg
    7500 dually 017.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 272

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
While I don't really want yet another rule, sometimes I wish there was a license class "Snow Cat". Would simplify some things here. Or a simple change: Delete the steered by skis from the snowmobile definition.

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
You just have to find the right licensing office, bill of sale with a vin# and low and behold you get registered as a vintage snowmobile. Sno-park permit and license sticker and tabs and away you go. Just finished my 1984 Tucker a couple weeks ago got the registration and tabs and temp license, waiting on the license sticker from the state now. Just my .02

ssort

Agree completely with the above message from Logger1965. Make friends with your local DOL office and they will make it work, no worries. I had no issue getting my Spryte registered as a vintage snomo.

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep mailman showed up today with a nice little envelope from the Washington DOL with shiny new license stickers. Gotta love the girls at the private license vendor office!!!!

dep6113

I did the same process at the DMV in the graham WA area. I had a bill of sale then I had to supply a shaded reproduction of the VIN plate for their records. I got a vintage snowmobile plate and tabs for my bombardier SV200.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
What benefit do you get by having your snow cat registered as either a ORV, vintage snowmobile, or other? Since the 'authorities' know it is none of these, it is worthless when using it on government land. I suppose if you need insurance or proof of ownership it may or may not help. The local Methow Valley Ranger district here said they do not require any documentation to use the snow cat on their designated routes and certainly know it is not a snowmobile and the vintage tag means nothing.

rob thanks for reply on why would you register your cat-----I register my car to get roads built and plowed in the winter----I register my sled so the clubs build and groom trails-----I drive my cat over the river and threw the woods the grandmas house--- ok not true---the bar---no one builds trails for my cat---I do--and also here in new York state we have to register atv ----and we get nothing back for clubs and trail development ---state keeps it all-----I will not reg. my wheelers---but I do join the atv club to help them

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Don't get me wrong, I purchase a yearly $35 Discovery Pass and a $40 SnoPark pass that gets me nothing in return as far as snow cat access. I am willing to give the government even more if they would just make a class that we fit into and to give us a map with places we are welcome.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't get me wrong, I purchase a yearly $35 Discovery Pass and a $40 SnoPark pass that gets me nothing in return as far as snow cat access. I am willing to give the government even more if they would just make a class that we fit into and to give us a map with places we are welcome.

rob, didn't you say you have designated snowcat trail? is this just one someone said you can be on?
jim

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, the outing in the 443 with Tracy was on the designated route given to us by the Ranger Station but once we got up there we found that most of the 'open' roads were gating for non-motorized hunting. I'd like to see the numbers on hunters in that area on foot or horseback.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
we had the same issues. one large drainage that was used for all was gated and a sign cross county skiing with out any public input on it. I very seldom see cars parked at the gate . i'm beginning to think you need a club that may do some voluntary work to get noticed.

ssort

Rob/Jim, i had a long talk with a FS Rec Manager from another district in Centeral WA. She gave me some good insight, and i need to follow up on it. Basically she said a lot of the approval for our broader access is up to the state. Maybe i'm just being passed around from agency to agency but i'm going to give it a try.

Your point about needing a club or organization to represent us is 100% spot on. Only issue is that their are only about 12-24 of us in WA give or take a dozen........

That is not going to get us very far.

I'll be in touch with updates.

tr

ssort

Slight cross thread if you don't mind. See todays thread on trying to get a list of WA state cat owners. Please respond to that thread or PM me please. See that thread for details.

Thanks!

Tracy

PJL

I did finally get my cat titled. I found a number of for sale cats here on the forum and forwarded the info to the person who does our title work. The DOL office accepted that as proof of fair market value. Thanks to all who offered up advice. It was appreciated.

Now onto the question of where to operate them. I'll jump to the other thread.