• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

If more businesses were like Tuthill our economy would be amazing

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to say that when Greg started a thread about his fuel pump I figured it would be just like any other thread about a product that breaks. The owner of broken thing buys parts, or replaces the item and we move on.

But something unusual happened in BigDog's thread.

A rep from the company joined these forums and has gone beyond what we have come to expect in terms of customer service by offering advice. I posted in that thread about my ANCIENT pump and that has started a series of private messages to my pump working.

Honestly I can't recall to many national firms that have gone to this level of service for their customers.

:clap::clap: Thanks Tuthill Corp for being here for us :clap::clap:

mak2

Several years ago I bought a Better Quick walk behind mower. I got everything with it but the keys. The owner mailed the to me next day air, I had them by noon the next day. Great customer service and a great product. I plug them whenever I can ever since.

TuthillCorp

Thank you for your kind words. I am just happy to help out.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who is looking to purchase a Fill-Rite pump, has a question about one, or who may have a problem with one.

I am here to help.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple Fill-Rite pumps (and need a couple more).

BTW - BigDog - Is the one you had problems with my old one?

My main pump is your FR1211CL as I recall. If I were to gripe about it, I'd mention 2 things.
1) It doesn't include an in-line filter so I bought one aftermarket.
2) Where the fuel hose exits the pump (towards the hand nozzle), it kinks right at the pump since the exit line is vertical and gravity wants the hose horizontal. A coiled spring (similar to what you would see on a quality garden hose) would change that kink to an arc.

New purchase info needed.
I need a barrel pump or 2 that can handle gasoline and/or alcohol. I know many are diesel or kero only.
I was thinking of something like your SD62 but it doesn't have any specs listed.
http://www.fillrite.com/Products/Hand_Pumps_Fuel_Transfer/Rotary/SD62.cfm#.UDfGR7TEGnE
What are your offerings in this area?

TuthillCorp

bczoom,

Your pump is the 12 VDC pump with the 800 series meter attached from the factory. You are right, the pump doesn't include a spin on type filter to filter the fuel once it is pumped. There is a screen on the inlet side of the pump to keep scale, rust, or other debris in the tank from passing through the pump, and mesh size on the screen isn't fine enough to filter particles from the fuel. We do offer both pariculate filters and hydrosorb filters as accessories for these pumps. The hydrosorb filter will remove water from your fuel (if you have issues with water in your fuel) as well as remove particles down to 10 microns.

As for the issue with the hose, you are also correct that the discharge of the meter is horizontal, and that gravity wants to pull the hose downward and create a kink. The best that I can tell you at this point would be to install a street elbow at the discharge of the meter and point it down so the hose hangs vertically. I will bring this up with our marketing folks as feedback. We do sell other lengths of hose for the retail market, and these do have springs in them. No promises as being able to get something changed, yet I thank you for your input.

Now for a hand pump that can pump gasoline and alcohol, I need a bit more information. Are you looking for a pump that can pump a mixture of the two (like gas and ethanol), or a pump for gasoline and another for alcohol? If it is a blend, what is the blend percentages of gas vs. the alcohol?

I have a couple Fill-Rite pumps (and need a couple more).

BTW - BigDog - Is the one you had problems with my old one?

My main pump is your FR1211CL as I recall. If I were to gripe about it, I'd mention 2 things.
1) It doesn't include an in-line filter so I bought one aftermarket.
2) Where the fuel hose exits the pump (towards the hand nozzle), it kinks right at the pump since the exit line is vertical and gravity wants the hose horizontal. A coiled spring (similar to what you would see on a quality garden hose) would change that kink to an arc.

New purchase info needed.
I need a barrel pump or 2 that can handle gasoline and/or alcohol. I know many are diesel or kero only.
I was thinking of something like your SD62 but it doesn't have any specs listed.
http://www.fillrite.com/Products/Hand_Pumps_Fuel_Transfer/Rotary/SD62.cfm#.UDfGR7TEGnE
What are your offerings in this area?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the info/feedback Tuthill.

For the hand pump, I'd like to pump gasoline (straight gas or E10) or straight alcohol.

TuthillCorp

Thanks for letting me know.

For the straight gasoline or the E10, I would use either the FR112 Rotary Hand Pump or the FR152 Piston Hand Pump. The FR112 is rated at 10 gallons per 100 revolutions and the FR152 is rated at 20 gallons per 100 strokes. It really comes down to how would you like to pump, in a rotating motion or back and forth motion?

When it comes to straight alcohol, we start to get into issues with the gasket materials and with water being pulled into the alcohol. Alcohol will absorb water. Our pumps are made of cast aluminum, and in the case of the FR112, the rotor is cast iron. If the water sits in the pumps, it will cause corrosion and will lock up the rotor or piston. We don't have an option for 100% alcohol in a hand pump. the other issue is that alcohol (such as ethanol) is not good with aluminum, unless it is plated, and this isn't the case in our hand pumps.

You could use a 12 VDC pump, yet to convert the gaskets, you would also need to purchase a kit and change them out of the pump. You would also need to makes sure that you pumped often enough to keep the water out of the pump casting to prevent rust. I would recommend pumping at least 3 times a week.

Thanks for the info/feedback Tuthill.

For the hand pump, I'd like to pump gasoline (straight gas or E10) or straight alcohol.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again for the info.
I'll look into the hand pumps for gas.
Sounds like a shaker siphon is the best bet for the alcohol.