• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid engine Tucker vs front engine

VXclimber180

I am curious if anyone out there can tell me if there are any advantages or disadvantage of the mid engine (1642 ME) Tucker vs the front engine Tuckers. I am looking at a 78' 1642 ME. They does not seem to be as many of these out there and was wondering if they are less desirable? It does have 4.88 gears which seems would be good. I plan to use it for cabin access, about 12 miles to the plowed road.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mattfidaho

the biggest advantage to the mid engine is visibility, you can see in front of you (tracks blade) granted I went from a 84 front engine to a 2008,

I would think weight distribution would be better with the mid engine also, I have no experience with the 1642 ME.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I've never owned or operated a mid-engine Tucker.

My impression is the first generation mid-engine Tuckers could only be ordered with a two person cab. Even at that, from the photos I've seen the passenger got short shrift. I've also heard that there were some issues with overheating, but I can't substantiate that, it's just scuttlebutt.

Finally my impression (disclaimer) is that most were used fairly heavily as groomers so they tend to have lots of hours whereas a fair number of other Tuckers of similar vintage were acquired by various governmental agencies and utility companies. Those machines typically got less usage and were maintained to a higher standard.

The result of these various issues is that they are usually substantially cheaper than their front-engined brethren.

Swamp Cruizer

My impression is the first generation mid-engine Tuckers could only be ordered with a two person cab. Even at that, from the photos I've seen the passenger got short shrift. I've also heard that there were some issues with overheating, but I can't substantiate that, it's just scuttlebutt.

Finally my impression (disclaimer) is that most were used fairly heavily as groomers so they tend to have lots of hours whereas a fair number of other Tuckers of similar vintage were acquired by various governmental agencies and utility companies. Those machines typically got less usage and were maintained to a higher standard.

The result of these various issues is that they are usually substantially cheaper than their front-engined brethren.
I totally agree. I got my 78 1642ME cheap $2500 in 07. It had 65,000 hrs but it had a rebuilt engine and was in fairly well maintained condition as a groomer. As for the overheating issue; look in the picture below. See the homemade scoops on the engine shroud. I did have trouble with it over-heating when the weather got warmer in the spring. I changed the fan and that helped and removed the lower side covers. I still have some trouble with it and I'm still trying different things to get it to run cooler with limited air flow through the radiator and now being trapped in a "dog House" with the van body. I ran it two winters as a 1642 before the conversion and it was very funtional for two adults only! Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IM002118.jpg
    IM002118.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 243