• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Should cell phones have privacy rights?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
'Reasonable Expectation of Privacy'

Friday, February 12, 2010
The Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia is hearing oral arguments today regarding citizens' privacy while using mobile phones. With federally mandated GPS locators built into the hardware of all new cellular phones, police have been tapping mobile phones to find the location of criminals for years, but the laws regarding such tactics are ambiguous and outdated.
The Obama administration has argued that Americans don't enjoy a "reasonable expectation of privacy" when it comes to their whereabouts as revealed by their cell phones, and therefore warrant-less tapping is allowed. Not only that, but lawyers for the U.S. Department of Justice say that "a customer's Fourth Amendment rights are not violated when the phone company reveals to the government its own records" showing where calls were placed or received.
According to CNET news, "Those claims have alarmed the ACLU and other civil liberties groups, which have opposed the Justice Department's request and plan to tell the U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia that Americans' privacy deserves more protection and judicial oversight than what the administration has proposed."
Kevin Bankston, an Electronic Frontier Foundation attorney who is arguing the case, paints it as "a critical question for privacy in the 21st century," adding, "If the courts do side with the government, that means that everywhere we go, in the real world and online, will be an open book to the government unprotected by the Fourth Amendment."

Trakternut

At the risk of not being located during a 911 call, you can turn the GPS off in most phones.
However, I think cell phones shoul be afforded the same privacy as landlines

SShepherd

even if the GPS is turned off on the phone, your position can still be found by triangulating it's position from 3 cell phone towers

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If a cell phone is on, they have to know where you are or can find out where you are by triangulating (like SShepherd said).
We buy them cause we want a phone signal. they have to be able to know what cell tower you are connected to. I understand it can be con-screwed as giving up a privacy but it gives such a convenience that I feel its worth it. If you want to use a cell phone and are worried about privacy you can buy one of the throw aways or one that you rent minutes on, or you can choose not to use them.

I agree that the same privacy to your conversation should be guarded just like with land lines. I do not see the location give away as an invasion of privacy as we have a choice on whether or not we carry one.

Trakternut

What you said! where is that gps button located on my phone I can't find it.

You'll have to go into your "settings" menu, or something like that. It will depend on which phone you have.

Thing with triangulation is it's not dead accurate as your signal is picked up in the AREA of three towers and not found by a satellite.

SShepherd

You'll have to go into your "settings" menu, or something like that. It will depend on which phone you have.

Thing with triangulation is it's not dead accurate as your signal is picked up in the AREA of three towers and not found by a satellite.

if I'm not mistaken, it's accurate to about 50sq yrds

mak2

Never give up any sort of privacy or freedom issue without a fight. Persoanlly I never do anything wrong as far as I know, but I dont like anyone knowing where I am all the time, or thinking they have the right to.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I look at it this way, there are a lot of cell phones in this country. With technology they may be able to track all of the phones, but who is going to care where I am situated at a given time?

mak2

I look at it this way, there are a lot of cell phones in this country. With technology they may be able to track all of the phones, but who is going to care where I am situated at a given time?

I agree, I dont think anyone will ever care where I am at, but that is a dangerous way to think. I have nothing in my house I care at all about anyone seeing or knowing I have, but if they wanted to search it they either better have a good story or a search warrent. They should not be allowed to search at will or keep track of our movements. Scary in a 1984 sort of way.

SShepherd

part of the issue, is that say there is a rime in an area with no leads-- or say a crime of family violence. They will be able touse your phone as a "black box" to tell where you were when the crime was comitted-- violating your 5th amendment rights