• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cab design

Cletis

What do you all think would be the best cab design?

Shape?
Skeleton out of light angle iron?
Skin and the way the skin is attached?

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you are going to build out of aluminum go to the local airport find a a&p mechanic with sheet metal experiance offer up a case of beer to come over and help with your project on a weekend if working in steel than its just like pannel replacement you will have to have some kind of frame to to lay your sheet metal over you will also have to have access to rolling equipment or else you are going to have sharp corners.

Nathan R

I would like to get it on this a little as well. I have seen a few restos on here and always wondered how you guys are attaching the sheet metal to the frame? What's the best way? Rivet, spot weld?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I would like to get it on this a little as well. I have seen a few restos on here and always wondered how you guys are attaching the sheet metal to the frame? What's the best way? Rivet, spot weld?

Even though this original thread is a little old . I think rivets would be the way to go .

Nathan R

How do you seal them from leaking, some sort of seam sealer and then when you paint it it's all good to go?

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I do not know . Were the original rivets sealed??? Boggie would be the guy to ask.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Like the older Thiokols solid aluminum rivets like in a aircraft when done correctly They are watertight

You can also use the 3M tape on the the roofs and use no rivets it does very well if everything is clean. They do this with a lot of the race car trailers roofs
And walls

We have also used a solid bottom aluminum pop rivet and placed a small oring
Under it on some roofs we have done it the past when we do a aluminum roof
We place a sheet of 1/4" plywood under it to take the snow load.

Good luck

Nathan R

Hey Boggie, you don't have any pictures of one of those processes do you? I suppose once everything is painted it's pretty much sealed up?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
HERE ARE THE PICTURES I PROMISED

solid rivets are normally tightened with the air equipment. using the proper anvil and a solid backer

we also have used the pre colored rivets but not on roofs

the picture of the closed back rivet is not real good

The 3M tape is VHB

Attachments

• DSCF3144.jpg
    DSCF3144.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF3142.jpg
    DSCF3142.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCF3145.jpg
    DSCF3145.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCF3148.jpg
    DSCF3148.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF3151.jpg
    DSCF3151.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF3146.jpg
    DSCF3146.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 346

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
in these photos you can see prepainted aluminum with colored rivets

Attachments

• 2012-06-03 08.56.36.jpg
    2012-06-03 08.56.36.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 2012-06-03 08.56.14.jpg
    2012-06-03 08.56.14.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 333

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Also, how thick of sheeting are you guys using?

When aluminum .040 and sometimes .050 on roofs most of the prepainted
Sheets are also used in the racing industry so they are available most places
On roofs we almost always place a sheet of 1/4" plywood under the sheet
First attaching it the the frame which is normally 1" square aluminum tubing
1/8" wall . And sometimes 2" steel square tubing 3/16" wall when we want roll over protection

Some of the RV builders are also using the 3M VHB tape to attach there materials to the frames also as long as your frame material is clean it will adhear
Very well.

Keep us in the pictures ...........

Nathan R

I was just looking at some of those tapes. I think that will probably be the way to go. If it is good enough for ambulances then I would imagine that it would hold up to the kind of speeds one would be going in a cat.