• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Child suspended for drawing gun picture?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have CNN news on in my office and they are interviewing the mother of a child that was just suspended from school. Apparently he drew a picture of a gun? The school was showing the movie ANASTASIA, according to the mom, she also said there were guns in the movie. She said her son simply drew a picture of what her child saw.

In any event, apparently its a big deal the state is now involved.

By the way, the child is 13. He is involved in school activities and sports and has no history of causing trouble.

Here are a couple links to the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,294145,00.html
http://www.azcentral.com/community/gilbert/articles/0822gunsketch22-on.html

So what do we do? Do we err on the side of safety and suspend children for drawing gun pictures or do we fire the administrators who suspended this kid? Something tells me that lawyers will be involved soon!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
There has got to be more to this story?

I wouldn't bet on it. This is the country where students are expelled from school for having aspirin (Drugs! Oh no! Who will think of the children!) or finger nail clippers (Weapons! Duck and cover! They must be terrorists!). If it wasn't so g0ddamn pathetic, it would be hilarious.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
YES, you had better put that deranged child in lockup, since he is so out of control and out of synch with reality. Guess his infatuation with guns and violence is a threat to society as a whole. It is a sad day for the family, but their son is so messed up he should be just given up on and maybe someday with proper counseling and help he may be productive again. But so he does not suffer too much, lets get him Nintendo, Game boy, XX box, and all the usual things to play with, no sense in him not enjoying his incarceration for being a gun addicted, nutcase.

LOL

I would sue these dumb ass bastards so fast, first for a public apology, second to get the policy changed for this "crime", and third, just for calling themselves administrators........... My guess is you could walk around school with your cell, playing all kinds of games, with your portable player etc. Friggin idiots!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Totally outrageous. These people are out of control and they are the ones we trust to teach our children. I'm appalled. The person who made this call should lose their job for obvious lack of good judgment.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess if the kids were playing "hangman" game.. they think the kids were planning on hanging the teacher.

Danny you said it best.. Friggin idiots!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am missing something here?? Why was the sketch made?? Was it over this movie and all the kids were suppose to sketch something they saw in the movie or did this kid just sketch this on his own? It seems to me there is another side to this story that is being covered up and I am thinking school officials are not telling the whole story and nothing but the whole story so help me God!!

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am missing something here?? Why was the sketch made?? Was it over this movie and all the kids were suppose to sketch something they saw in the movie or did this kid just sketch this on his own?
Murph,

Why was the sketch made? I can't say for sure but here's what I gather from the original post.
He's a 13 year old boy watching "Anastasia"?!?!? At school yet? And WTF are they teaching there anyway?

If he's at all like me, he's bored sick and would be doing something, anything to get the time to pass.

Doodling is nice and quiet.
Hmmm, let's see.
Draw a rocket - they consider it a missile and call him a terrorist.
Draw a car - Hmmm, he must be a car-jacker
Draw a gun - we already see what happened
Draw a stick figure - already mentioned
Draw a dog - Animal abuser

PS. It didn't say which version of Anastasia they were watching but didn't the most well known Anastasia (princess) get murdered?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I think I see it from the administration side.

The kid drew a gun. That's it. But, if he had drawn a bullet, there's a safety issue. What would happen if the picture would have gone off? Who knows where that bullet would have gone. It could have hurt anyone in the room.

I'd say the administration was just looking out for the welfare of others and were able to curtail a potentially dangerous situation.

They must be very careful as some pictures may become very dangerous.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
The kid had taken a test and completed it. He then started to doodle. This was not the only doodle. He had watched a movie with his parents over the weekend and the movie had a laser gun in it. He was bored and was just doodling. The school has a zero tolerance policy. They suspended him with out word of why. His parents who were upset confronted the school and the school said he had drawn a "Picture" of a gun. They would not discuss the matter further. They never even questioned the kid if it was a "GUN". The doodle to me looks like a cross between a space ship and possibly a gun. It has a wheel attached to I think what might be a trigger guard????? Absolutely stupid.

HERES a QUESTION to those leftist commie minded whakoes running the schools these days.

#1 Do you have a history book in any class room?
#2 Turn to a picture of George Washington Crossing the Deleware. Do you see any drawings of guns? Do you ever utter the word "GUN" in history class?
#3 Do you believe you are exempt from this "Zero Tolerance Policy/law"?
#4 So If you do (#3) then you beleive your self to be above the law. What does that teach our children?

You see the thing with STUPID policies is they always blow up in the faces of the people who create them. When that happens ONLY Stupid people keep defending thses said policies. Usually they wont dare even talk about it and state things like. Its against school policy to discuss a student discilpanry action or something along those lines.

Last edited:

daedong

Vin
You know it is difficult to detect a sense of humor over the internet.
Do you really consider either of these behaviours as truly dangerous?

Glink I am used to a much more middle of the road society, you seem to have the extremes in views from far left to far right.

You gloat about your freedoms but surely it is about getting a balance in society right. You can own guns but you can't draw pictures of them.:yum::yum:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Glink I am used to a much more middle of the road society, you seem to have the extremes in views from far left to far right.

You gloat about your freedoms but surely it is about getting a balance in society right. You can own guns but you can't draw pictures of them.:yum::yum:

TROLL

daedong

There is no intent of being a troll, what is the problem?

May I not make comparisons of good or bad between nations now?

daedong

Junk you have me on the back foot here trying to justify myself.

The first paragraph, purely an observation.
second paragraph, showing an anomaly that is seen from an outsider.

nothing more nothing less.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Apparently you don't believe the printed word??????:moon:

Apparently he seeks further information because the story is out of the norm. of common sense. Ya see SOME folks think for themselves. Some folks arent brainwashed, and want to dig deeper. Dangerous? :3_7_11v:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think this kid just needs to draw a picture of a court order over ruling the school board. Apparently, pictures are as good as the real thing.

:whistle:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
What if he drew a picture of a car? Hell cars kill thousands more each year than guns. How about a knife? Fire? Pungie sticks? What he needs to draw is a steaming pile of shit!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally I think the world has gone mad. To consider a doodle as a threat worthy of suspension, seems reasonable only if the doodle had offensive or hate filled content that was specifically directed at other classmates, a teacher, etc. But if it is worthy of suspension, you'd also think it would be worthy of notifying the police, sending the child to a counselor, and doing some sort of monitoring. None of that happened.

It was a doodle, seemingly of a gun. The kid was kicked out of school for 3 days because it was perceived to be a real threat. The article said the police were NOT notified. It it was a real threat why not involve the police? If it was a real threat, should not social services be called in to check on the family? If it was a real threat, why not send the child to a councilor for evaluation? WTF!?!

On one hand the administration of the school says it is serious. But when time comes to actually do something meaninful they let is slide. Obviously a typical American liberal response. Over react to a situation, then do nothing to justify the over reaction.

Glink

Site Supporter

You know Vin I will give you one thing, the anomaly you highlight in your second paragraph, if viewed purely objectively, is indeed, damn near hilarious.

As far as a middle of the road society, I think the vast majority of the USA is middle of the road. But for sure, both sides have their fringe elements. And I would speculate that since the fringe elements get the attention, it may appear to someone outside, that we are more polarized than, in mass, we actually are.