• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

400 hp SBC Bombardier j5 for sale

duckscarfer

Time to move on to the next project, i'm selling my J5 it is a 1965 highly modified with a 400 hp chevy small block 350 with a three speed Saginaw trans. This j5 will do almost 60 mph it is not your average toy for the average guy it is for the tim taylor types. It runs perfect with no issues I only have about 30 miles on it since the complete restoration/build. You can look up my other post of the 400hp j5 build and you can see the complete build start to finish. I can also provide pictures to who ever is interested in buying it. I am asking $15,000.00 for it and I am firm on the the price. I have well over this in the project and it is worth every penny. you can contact me at 775-427-1976

Attachments

• IMG_20130428_132401_871.jpg
    IMG_20130428_132401_871.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,454

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I got to ask,how fast will it be traveling at 6800 r.p.m. ??:smile: i think a nice little 4 cylinder diesel around 60 h.p. would be a safer machine !! is safer a word???? !!:clap::clap: i thought about putting a v-12 Rolls Royce or Allison engine in a Lombard once,then i woke up from the dream !!!!! i think anyone with that machine must have a pair of "BIG ONES" !!!! If you were going 60 mph and locked the brakes that little beast would roll end over end for eons !!! I guess i might be a bit sceptic after hauling a friend of mines body out of a muskeg that rolled end over end at a ski area years ago. !!!!

not that I'm going to embarrass my little brush clearing, log pulling, snow trail grooming, dirt pushing, J5 by letting it see it, I'd like to see a video of this "slightly" modified J5 in action

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I got to ask,how fast will it be traveling at 6800 r.p.m. ??:smile: i think a nice little 4 cylinder diesel around 60 h.p. would be a safer machine !! is safer a word???? !!:clap::clap: i thought about putting a v-12 Rolls Royce or Allison engine in a Lombard once,then i woke up from the dream !!!!! i think anyone with that machine must have a pair of "BIG ONES" !!!! If you were going 60 mph and locked the brakes that little beast would roll end over end for eons !!! I guess i might be a bit sceptic after hauling a friend of mines body out of a muskeg that rolled end over end at a ski area years ago. !!!!

At 6800 rpm it would do about 36 mph to get 60mph almost 12,000 rpm required without a overdrive or a differential gear change.

A Abrams tank M1A2 with 1500 hp will do 60mph or even a bit more but they are governed to 45Mph because anything faster is not safe for the tracks but they weigh 130,000 pounds also

Even 36MPH is scary fast for a tracked machine

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Correction 6800 should do 41mph
And 10,000 rpm would do 60 mph
Used the wrong pitch 3.25 when it should have been 3.75 :mellow:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Either one is WAAAAAY to fast for me!!:smile: I used to have fast cars and motorcycles,decided crawler stuff was a bit more safe,had plenty of thrills in skidders.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not in the market, but perhaps if it was married to a Hamster ball so when the inevitable happened, you would "weeble but not fall down". The weight would tend to cause it to land on it's feet. Or at least a totally round roll cage with a wrap around lexan shield.

Attachments

• hamsterball.jpg
    hamsterball.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 780

duckscarfer

There is video links already posted up in my build post. You can also do a search on youtube for bombardier j5 under Mr tank crazy. I'm not positive on the speed it will go but I can tell you it is above 40 mph and yes it is scary fast. Boggie how are you coming up with the speed what is the formula you are using??please explain.
Your info is indeed correct on the M1A2 but I will tell you this I have personally had my M1A1 to 48 mph ,that was down hill up on the governer. And it was also a handful and yes you can slide 65 tons in a corner...the reason for them to be governed is the weight of the tracks and the heat generated from them the tracks start to fly apart. My former platoon Sergeant was a test driver for the m1 and he stated they topped one out at over 70 mph but the tracks started to come apart so thats why they governed them, that and fuel consumption.
my M1A1 got 3.5 gal to the mile so figure that out at 70 mph
Truth is i love being on tracks and going fast thats why i built this machine when i got out of the army.
Really sad to sell it but I have other interest now.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie how are you coming up with the speed what is the formula you are using??please explain.
.[/QUOTE]

Ok, start at the sprocket 11 pitches at 3.75 but the track cleat sits lower than
The sprocket diameter except the hump in the center which unless its total hard pack like concrete or blacktop it sinks in away diameter at contact average no consideration for slippage. Use 37.5 " per revolution. Or 3.125 feet

Let's use 40 mph x 5280 feet =211,200 feet per hour /60 = 3520 feet per minute divided by 3.125 per sprocket revolution = 1126 sprocket revolutions per minute divided by the ring and pinion ratio 5.83 to 1 requires 6567 rpms this assumes that the top gear in the transmission is 1:1 with the engine ( no overdrive )

Using the same data 60 mph engine would be at 9850 rpms

Working it backwards 7600 rpms would produce divided by 5.83 ring and pinion
Ratio 1303 sprocket rpm x 3.125 feet per rev. 4073.75 feet per minute x 60
244,425 feet per hour divided by 5280 feet in a mile = 46 miles per hour

All in the perfect world no slippage no turns, ( which will drop rpms momentarily)

There is a 9 tooth pinion gear that will work in this machine also 3.89 ratio

Let's use it for fun

Same rpms 7600 divided by 3.89 ratio = 1954 rpms x 3.125 = 6096 feet per minute x 60 = 365,760 feet per hour divided by 5280 = 69 miles per hour same
Rpms same as the 46 miles per hour with the other ring and pinion

Anyway way to fast!

Hope this helps :smile:

duckscarfer

Ok just decided to get this thing gone $10,000 cash puts it in your garage. I can't believe im gone sell it for that but here it goes.