• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Colorado Snowcat Jamboree !!!!

Red130

For the Jamboree, if you are catting at Vail Pass on back-to-back days, do you leave your cat up there, or haul it back and forth? If you leave it up there, where?

Aaron Tucker

For the Jamboree, if you are catting at Vail Pass on back-to-back days, do you leave your cat up there, or haul it back and forth? If you leave it up there, where?

We almost always trailer our cats out unless there is a breakdown .:idea: I suppose if you really wanted to you could park your cat at on the hill and then get a ride with me or another to the parking lot . The forest rangers don't like us to leave anything in the parking lot because they have to plow at night and in the morning .

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this a low snow year for your guys? Here a Birdseye preview.

Started the wheels in motion to head to clowder. Logistics didn’t work. Somehow ended up over Colorado without landing and instead I find myself in a desert.

Attachments

• EBBF9A2C-398C-45BF-AC96-1989C4C5FBC2.jpg
    EBBF9A2C-398C-45BF-AC96-1989C4C5FBC2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 324

nikos

Track Addict

Started the wheels in motion to head to clowder. Logistics didn’t work. Somehow ended up over Colorado without landing and instead I find myself in a desert

Attachments

• EBBF9A2C-398C-45BF-AC96-1989C4C5FBC2.jpg
    EBBF9A2C-398C-45BF-AC96-1989C4C5FBC2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 311

Red130

Cool photo. Yes, it is a low snow year. In the northern part of the state the snow pack is in the 85% range. In the south it is around 35%. There is an automated snow measurement station ("snotel") near us that is currently at 8%. Really sad.

Aaron Tucker

Here is a map that accurately displays our snow totals for this year . Vail and Montazuma are in the yellow both have all trails and ski terrain open . Its lower than normal but still lots of snow to play on.

Attachments

• co_swepctnormal_update.png
    co_swepctnormal_update.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 287

Red130

I didn't mean to imply we wouldn't have good snow for the Jamboree. We skied up in the northern part of the Sawatch Range last week, which has noticeably less snow than the Vail Pass area, and it was decent. It is really the southwest portion of the state that is suffering.

Last year the snowpack at our place was a little above average with quite a bit of wind and I was fighting every few days to keep our driveway open. This year we have nothing. (Literally no snow at all!)

Last year on Feb. 3:

Attachments

• 2017-02-04 14.18.31.jpg
    2017-02-04 14.18.31.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 268

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter

Started the wheels in motion to head to clowder. Logistics didn’t work. Somehow ended up over Colorado without landing and instead I find myself in a desert.

hey hey T Addict, you missed a grand clowder and even better snow cat chowder. might just have to head out for the vintage machine get together this month, if the snow keeps disappearing like is, best to fly into boston and rent a car?

Aaron Tucker

I didn't mean to imply we wouldn't have good snow for the Jamboree. We skied up in the northern part of the Sawatch Range last week, which has noticeably less snow than the Vail Pass area, and it was decent. It is really the southwest portion of the state that is suffering.

Last year the snowpack at our place was a little above average with quite a bit of wind and I was fighting every few days to keep our driveway open. This year we have nothing. (Literally no snow at all!)

Last year on Feb. 3:

no worries my friend .

Aaron Tucker

The 2018 Colorado Snowcat Jamboree!!
March 16th-18th at Vail and Montezuma CO

This is a 3 day event starting on Friday the 16th at Vail pass. We will be meeting early around 7-730am at the trail heads then heading up to the saddle of Ptarmigan meeting there around 10am. We will do catskiing runs on the front face of ptarmigan and Machine Gun ridge until we can all get to the saddle for a meet and greet/photo. 12pm will be lunch. For lunch everyone is welcome to bring anything to through on the grill, or whatever you would like. I’ll bring more than enough hotdogs and burgers to feed everyone but to each his own. Kegs of beer will be available all day. This is all no charge. We are here to have fun! The second half of the day will be spent exploring all around ptarmigan and catskiing. We will have ski/snowboard competition with Prizes ! Yes Prizes! Spacecraft, Tincup whisky, Thuggie and other event sponsors will be providing tons of swag for the event to hand out as winning prizes. After the competition we will load up at the end of the day. Those who are up for dinner and drinks can meet at the Dillon dam brewery afterwards.

March 17TH Saturday Vail again
We will be meeting at the same time 7-730am at the trail heads then heading up to the saddle of Ptarmigan meeting there around 10am. We will do catskiing runs on the front face of ptarmigan and Machine Gun ridge until we can all get to the saddle. 12pm will be lunch. After lunch we will head over to shrine bowl. The rest of the afternoon will be a number of snowcat events with Prizes. We will have a hill climb completion on both deep powder and hardpack snow. Also a snowcat drag race with prelims, finals and prizes.

March 18th Sunday at Montezuma AKA Little Alaska .
Montuzuam is located next to another world class resort (Keystone)
We will all meet in the back of zuam at 8am in deer Creek (just drive all the way to the end of Montezuma rd). From the lot we will head back top deer creek and into the big bowl . This day will be a free for all trip to go wherever you want. This is going to be a high altitude paly ground right at tree line and above. Serval 14,000+ft peaks line this area like Torey’s peak. From the bowl we can ascend the ridge to summit several peaks. There will also be catskiing available all day and an end of the day raffle for something special.

Vail is $5 for a day pass

Here is a link to check out last year’s event to get an idea of what you’re in for.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=75262&highlight=vail&page=9

For lodging I would suggest Comfort Suites. 276 Dillon Ridge Rd, Dillon, CO 80435 (970) 513-0300
Or
La Quinta Inn & Suites. 560 Silverthorne Ln, Silverthorne, CO 80498 laquintasilverthornesummitcounty.com (970) 468-6200

If you are coming Vail Pass trail head Milemarker 190 Interstate 70, Vail, CO 81657. Here is a map link to that point.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=39.52767494992507,-106.21616991108897&z=17
If you want to come to the camp hale side and meet at the saddle of ptarmigan you would be staying in red cliff or Nova guides have huts available. That group will be meeting at the camp hale trail head at this link. There will also be a local by the name of Johnny (mother Tucker) to greet at the camp hale side.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...ll=39.44658729798549,-106.33219690865519&z=17
Anyone thinking of coming from out of state here is a link to register your cat for use on public land in Colorado its $35 and is good for the whole year. You just need proof of ownership (hand written bill of sale).
http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/SnowmobileRegistrations.aspx

Here is some the link to info about Vail pass and the trail system
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteriver/recreation/recarea/?recid=40891&actid=89
Here is a link to some info about Montezuma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montezuma,_Colorado

If anyone has any questions please call me on my Cell 719-650-1901 or ask here.

Aaron Tucker

Yesterday I received our package from Spacecraft for the Jamboree!:clap: We have over 30 items to give away from just Spacecraft. everyone likes free stuff! more to come. Be there or be square................

Attachments

• Spacecraft-Logo-shot-400x400.jpg
    Spacecraft-Logo-shot-400x400.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 338

Red130

Thanks Aaron. Does anyone happen to know if the bridge over the river at Camp Hale is full width? (i.e. able to accommodate an 8.5 ft cat?). I glanced over at it as I drove by on Hwy 24 yesterday and it looked narrow even for a single lane bridge.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday I received our package from Spacecraft for the Jamboree!:clap: We have over 30 items to give away from just Spacecraft. everyone likes free stuff! more to come. Be there or be square................

mr. a. tucker, sir,

I have always been square, guess, that means, I have to stay home, being square and all...:eatdrink::eatdrink::eatdrink:

Last edited:

swixb

I've been working on my SkiDozer 302, really want to get the beast out. I need some help wiring up the batteries and firing up the Cummins for the first time. The 10th or 11th at my shop in Arvada if anyone is interested... If it does not make it for the Jamb I'll be 'stuck' running Aaron's Trooper...
Will continue the effort to get it out sooner or later this season.

Aaron Tucker

Thanks Aaron. Does anyone happen to know if the bridge over the river at Camp Hale is full width? (i.e. able to accommodate an 8.5 ft cat?). I glanced over at it as I drove by on Hwy 24 yesterday and it looked narrow even for a single lane bridge.

Dave I believe that the bridge is 12ft wide.

Hautesnow

Assume you mean the steel bridge east of the Camp Hale pull off (parking area). Un less they have replaced it recently, it was definitely plenty wide enough for 10' cats a few years ago. Another route over the river, is to follow the river north from that bridge a short distance where the road from Pando crosses the river (a very wide culvert crossing here) and east heads directly up Resolution Road to Vail Pass over Ptarmigan Pass.

Aaron Tucker

I am working on our Colorado Snowcat Jamboree sticker now I was thinking about 60-70 should do it ?
I have over 60 big stickers from spacecraft to also give away.

Aaron Tucker

Alright it looks like Sean will be producing shirts for the jamboree and ill handle the stickers. Thanks for the help Sean!

Aaron Tucker

I Had a Conversation with Tincup Whisky yesterday. They are going to provide me tons of Swag for the jamboree ! They said they would have tee-shirts,hats and tons of free samples. Ill also be giving away bottles of tincup to the competition winners.

Come one Come all to the Colorado Snowcat Jamboree! :clap:

Attachments

• TINCUP-American-Whiskey.jpg
    TINCUP-American-Whiskey.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 214
  • tincup_fbog 1.jpg
    tincup_fbog 1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 209
  • tincup 1.jpg
    tincup 1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 210

Aaron Tucker

Pics At Vail on Saturday with the Nottingham's.

looks like we will have some brave souls camping out at the snowcat jamboree! should be fun! Also a rumor of a back country hot tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_192912_941.jpg
    IMG_20180311_192912_941.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 12730.jpg
    12730.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 12732.jpg
    12732.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 12726.jpg
    12726.jpg