• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

universal problems

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone know why my universal joint on my snowblower will blow out the clip and little cap with pin bearings.This has happened 4 times now and its starting to piss me off. I haven't changed the universal joint because the new one I have is too small but the caps and pin bearing are the same. I have installed new caps but after a couple of hours of blowing snow the same cap will blow out and everything will come apart.The last time it happened, I tack welded the cap in two places.Today it blew out again. Fixed it and tacked it in 4 places.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm taking a stab at it but I'm guessing you have the wrong snap rings and they are not seating in the groove right. you may also have some cap size differences at the end of the cap that are not allowing for the right end play or loading the snap ring. my suggestion is pull it run it into a driveline shop get replacement yokes installed and rebalance the shaft. why did you replace the cap in the first place this could be a good indication of where the problem started

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
The first time was when I was blowing heavy snow. It blew the end right out of the cap. Since then it has been blowing the clip and the cap. I have the complete unit ordered, but I'm thinking much along the same lines with the new caps not being exactly the same size.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
My first thought is you have a shaft that is out of balance....some times the little balancing weights come loose..verry small weight change at high speed can wrek havoc with U-joints!!!!