• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No Naval Swords for the US Naval Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
No Naval Swords for U.S.N.A. Graduation this year - Threat to the Dear Leader Inside the Beltway - Washington Times

No Weapons for Anyone

From today's you couldn't make it up if you tried file.......Obama's protectors have ordered graduating Midshipmen....and I suppose Commissioned Officers through Flag rank...to leave their swords at home. Full Dress White includes "wear sword". More to the point...those badges of office have been earned in a manner Obongo and his minions just wouldn't begin to understand. Important traditions that inspire are kind of lost on the red banner crowd, apparently.

Further, ceremonial swords never seemed to bother the Secret Service for any previous President. And before World War II, the swords were not particularly "ceremonial", I've seen some of those blades, boarding actions did occur on the China Station pre-war against river pirates, warlords, etc. Those swords were worn not just to graduation, but to Inaugurations, in the receiving line at the White House afterward, to the Inaugural Ball. Somehow nobody gave it a second thought. Somehow even Presidents in the past didn't presume to specify items of uniform.

But of course, what worked for Harry Truman, Ronald Reagan, F.D.R., the Bushes, T.R., any other rational non-cult leader.....doesn't work for this former state senator anointed by the Chicago machine.

Does he secretly consider our Naval and Military leaders "the enemy"? Perhaps the message this sends escaped his handlers. Sad. And .....follow me on this Obama and minions.....insulting. Actually it's contemptible.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/21/inside-the-beltway-97423759/

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, if it's OK to break one long standing tradition, it should be OK to break another .... don't invite the SOB. Get someone else who doesn't feel threatened by the ceremonial swords of those who want to serve and protect our country and its institutions, including the institution of the presidency. ****em!!!!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
wonder if he'll outlaw all weapons in his presence when he visits military bases or war zones...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Obama's protectors have ordered graduating Midshipmen....and I suppose Commissioned Officers through Flag rank...to leave their swords at home. Full Dress White includes "wear sword". More to the point...those badges of office have been earned in a manner Obongo and his minions just wouldn't begin to understand. Important traditions that inspire are kind of lost on the red banner crowd, apparently.
Mr. President can kiss my ass.

Last edited:

xsinawl

Gee, I mean why would he think anyone would want to harm him. Has he done anything wrong? My Grandma always said "if the dogs dodging better go see why it needs the lick".

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
HE is the threat not those trained to protect us. Must be all those a-hole comments he and his minions make about the armed forces. He should worry more about his own people when his plans start to really unravel.

Kei

Is this really a new thing? One of the comments to the linked story said this policy was there since 911.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this really a new thing? One of the comments to the linked story said this policy was there since 911.

I seriously doubt that post is accurate. Bush, during his presidency, was never afraid of our troops being armed.

But the whole thing is just bizarre. Are not the graduates sworn to an oath to protect the President as the Commander in Chief of all the armed services? How can they honor that oath if they are unarmed in his presence? Seems to me this whole thing is just another way to sanitize all weapons, historic, ceremonial, or otherwise, from the view of the public in an effort to get to the point when he can politically demonize them and their owners.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
First gun control laws, no sword control laws.

Remember, people don't kill people, swords do.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Since my son goes to VMI, I heard that Omamma's admin tried to tell them "no bayonets" on their rifles. I believe VMI is allowed to have bayonets due to them having responded to help the U.S. government as requested during the Civil War. I don't recall the specifics. I looked it up and found that VMI cadets are the only school afforded bayonets in parade due to their participation during the Battle of New Market in 1864. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxiQKC4cvY"]YouTube - New Market Day at VMI[/ame]

Interesting. Here is a brief video about my son's class there. If you can, stop the video at 1:13. That picture was taken during the almost annual fight during, or immediately after, the VMI vs. Citadel football game. The picture is of when one of the VMI cheerleaders (yes, a female) took down her first Citadel cadet. LOL I believe she got tossed a bit later, but she got that first guy down by "shock and awe" along with the element of surprise. Hell, even their mascot is required to take the mandatory boxing class. You'll also notice that they aren't too big on showing anyone who has dropped out of VMI in the clip. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqi0gD10iE&feature=related"]YouTube - VMI class of 2010[/ame]

**edit**

Okay, I found this fact listed on VMI's site:
VMI graduates have fought in every American conflict since the Mexican War. During the Civil War, 98 percent of all graduates, regardless of age, served. The service of the Corps of Cadets during the 1864 Battle of New Market, Virginia, marks the only time in the nation's history when an entire student body fought as a unit in pitched battle. That service entitles VMI cadets to parade with fixed bayonets.

It has been said that VMI isn't about to give up the right to parade with bayonets just because we currently have an out of control liberal president.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
VMI isn't about to give up the right to parade with bayonets just because we currently have an out of control liberal president.
Please explain what happens next when VMI receives an order to lay down their ceremonial arms. I don't think there are any alternatives to compliance or insurrection. You've already ruled out compliance.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Please explain what happens next when VMI receives an order to lay down their ceremonial arms. I don't think there are any alternatives to compliance or insurrection. You've already ruled out compliance.

How about our lunatic president being responsible for the disbanding of one of our oldest and most prestigious military schools. Another wonderful part of his already extremely tarnished legacy...only six months in office.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the article from the link CA posted above:

Today, James von Brunn became the latest domestic terrorist to express his political views with an act of murder, in this case an attempted mass murder. National Holocaust Museum security guard Stephen Tyrone Johns, by contrast, joined an inspiring list of American heroes who have stopped a terrorists bullet with their own bodies.

While we mourn for the loss of Stephen Johns and our hearts reach out to his family and loved ones, it is worth considering a simple question: What can each of us do to stop this startling trend--this horrible switch some Americans are making from talk to violence to express their politics?

To be realistic, the people who have been directly victimized by these crimes never had the luxury of feeling safe. Nonetheless, now is the time for each of us to ask what we can do to stem this trend of violence.

For starters, we can pause and insist on a better political debate and we can talk openly about the kind of political talk we demand from our media, our politicians, and ourselves.

This moment when politics seems to be turning from talk to killing has emerged at a time when our politics is dominated by an alarming amount of over-the-top confrontational rhetoric firing on all cylinders from every form of broadcast media. It is not just unpleasant, but capable of heating already simmering citizens to the boiling point.

As summer heats up, we should all do what it takes to ratchet the political rhetoric down.

My suggestions are simple enough for everyone to do immediately.

First, the next time we hear a radio or TV host bombard an issue with overstated, violent rhetoric--we need to speak out against it. We should turn it off, sure. But we also need to tell our neighbors, friends, and coworkers that we do not want that kind of talk in our media.

Second, the next time we hear a politician incite hateful rage on the campaign trail with unsubstantiated claims and conspiracy theories about their opponents--we need to speak out against it. We should vote for someone else, sure. But we also need to tell our neighbors, friends, and coworkers that we do not want that kind of talk in our elections.

What each of us can do is stop consuming the rhetoric that pushes people to even consider violence as legitimate politics. And then, we need to say in our own words what kind of civic culture we want to reclaim.

Insisting on a better public debate will not magically do away with the various hateful ideologies that drive political assassins to kill, but it can go a long way to cooling things down.

The fact is, Americans are out of practice standing up and saying in our own words what kind of public discussion we expect in our politics. What we want is a conversation in the media and in the public square that helps us get the information we need to understand the complex problems we can only solve together.

We want a productive, pragmatic debate. To get back to it, we need to say so out loud.

As we head into summer, each of us can honor the memory of Stephen Tyrone Johns not only with our silent prayers, but by sharing with others the kind of talk we want in our politics.

Sounds like the writer of the article is blaming the media and all of us for the nut job who opened fire in the National Holocaust Museum. We have always had nut jobs.
While I agree we should not encourage over reaction to anything we hear on the news, I do not care for the way this article asks that we all disagree with the reports. Is he saying when the media criticizes the current administration just turn your head and tell your neighbors you don't agree with them? Maybe we do agree with them, but still we don't go grab our guns and shoot anyone. The politicians are the worst ones at spewing garbage and twisting facts with their negative ads and such.
The whole thing comes off as preaching to me. :angry:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Look, they aren't prestigious the moment they refuse an order from the Commander in Chief.

I'm confused here . Is VMI part of the military ? Are they subject to the UCMJ ?
If not ,they are not subject to the orders of the CIC , right ?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Look, they aren't prestigious the moment they refuse an order from the Commander in Chief.

Excellent idea, but I think you'll actually disagree. Is it not your obligation to refuse an order, consequences be damned, that you know is just plain wrong. If BHO called you and told you to go stop an opponent's speech from proceeding in your area using any method needed, would you obey? Remember, the freedom of speech is a protected right and "any method needed" can be interpreted many different ways. Of all people, I think you would agree, and even I do, that a certain measure of civil disobedience is required by each of us if the situation requires such action or inaction.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Doc, he's saying posts like Dargo's that refuse to accept the authority of the President, along with the incendiary stuff that's on Fox all day long, give the nut cases encouragement.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvunbIWNyI"]Shepard Smith Calls Out "More and More Frightening" Fox E-mailers[/ame]

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
C'mon Cali, you didn't even comment about the cheerleader from VMI taking down her 'opponent' in a headlock. Although I personally find it ill advised, you can't question her heart, determination and devotion to what she believes. Isn't this precisely what we want out of our military leaders? I'll admit that if I were a hot looking 120 pound female cheerleader (surprisingly, I'm not :yum:), I can't say that I'd charge into a fray with reckless abandon to fight alongside my colleges.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, he's saying posts like Dargo's that refuse to accept the authority of the President, along with the incendiary stuff that's on Fox all day long, give the nut cases encouragement.

Shepard Smith Calls Out "More and More Frightening" Fox E-mailers
I have to disagree with him. I do not feel Fox news made him go nutso The guy had a history of that for years according to those who knew him. Seem like this guy is using that as an excuse to pick on the free media.

But as for the President unarming the cadets I also feel it is outrageous. What that must instill in those young men who fought and suffered to get where they are only to be told by the person in charge of this great nation that "I do not trust you with a sword". How demoralizing.
I understand where Dargo is coming from. But in the end if it were he there I suspect he (and I if I were there) would grudgingly comply with orders, even if they were as off base as this directive appears to be.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

SShepherd

so it begins eh? Returning vets' can't be trusted by homeland security-- oh, thats right, it was something that wasn't approved to be released. Why was it even written in the 1st place?
Now, students at the first military college aren't to be trusted with a simple symbol of pomp and circumstance thats part of tradition?
Here's VMIs' mission:
The Virginia Military Institute's central mission is to educate, develop and graduate leaders of character who serve the common defense as citizen-soldiers. Few institutions so self-consciously devise and integrate a four-year set of intellectual, military, physical, and moral-ethical experiences so precisely aimed at developing specific attributes and characteristics in their graduates. Cadets are immersed in this leader development environment for four years and the Institute's task is to ensure that it fully coordinates and integrates those experiences to greatest advantage.

What exactly are his "handlers" afraid of?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Let's see if we have any consensus on this point. I think what is going on is that the Secret Service feels Obama is at risk of assassination and they are trying to control as many variables as possible. I was reading somewhere that part of their training is a live vid showing a major president (Egypt??) killed by a member of an honor guard.

Others say the policy is Obama's attempt to make arms disreputable. I don't believe that.

What are some other theories explaining the origin of the policy?

Communist News Network
Ok, add CNN to the list of sources who agitate the unstable. There are lots of people saying this President lacks legitimate authority to lead the nation. They're all wrong.

SShepherd

VMI
Cadets live within a military framework; they wear the cadet uniform, live in barracks, and eat their meals in a mess hall. The typical day is strictly regimented and requires close attention to detail to manage the available time to ensure necessary academic, military, and physical training requirements are properly completed.
Specific military training is provided both from within the cadet regiment, commanded and administered largely by cadets, and by the various armed services through the Reserve Officer Training Corps detachments located at VMI.

so, cadets are not part of the military, unless they chose to be a part of the ROTC program which has detachments at VMI.

Honestly, they president doesnt have the authority to tell anyone but the Military, as commander and cheif, to do anything. I always thought this nation was founded on the ideas that I had the right to peacefully assemble-- even if I have a sword or gun on me ( as in a parade )
I also have the right to tell my politicians- including the president-- to go piss up a rope without fear of imprisonment.

I have a feeling if I was a VMI senior, I would arange a sick day for graduating seniors, and send a collective F8*^K you to the paranoid man in the oval office.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo can give you a better answer on VMI's status.

The issue is anyone's refusal to lay down arms in the presence of the President.

That isn't exactly true. The Obama admin asked VMI to march at his inauguration. Before leaving campus the SS had each cadet remove the bolt from their rifles and submit them to the SS for inspection and safekeeping. They (the rifles sans the bolts) were returned to the cadets by the SS at the beginning of the parade. Still, each rifle was replete with their bayonet. I honestly don't think it was BHO himself who saw them and complained. It is my belief that it was someone in his administration.

Anyway, each and every cadet at VMI would do as they have pledged and would enthusiastically protect this president if called upon to do so. This is in fulfilling their promise and obligation and has nothing to do with the fact that BHO is certainly not popular on military campuses. That fact is irrelevant; similar to BHO's attempt to emasculate them, so to speak, after hundreds of years of tradition. Far greater men that BHO have come from VMI. Our remaining elite military academies have a proud tradition of producing not only those who can think, but those who can actually "do" as well.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, add CNN to the list of sources who agitate the unstable. There are lots of people saying this President lacks legitimate authority to lead the nation. They're all wrong.

There are many others. Unfortunately, I think they believe such rhetoric 'sells' and engage in admitted questionable journalism.

SShepherd

Actually, I thought that it was the sworn duty of every soldier to "support and defend our Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic." Only a tyrant could have reason to fear them. And if a tyrant he be, fear them he should.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
sworn duty of every soldier to "support and defend our Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic." Only a tyrant could have reason to fear them. And if a tyrant he be, fear them he should.
That's the way its supposed to work.

But in the banana republics the reason an elected president is removed by the military and replaced by one of their own is because they think he isn't the 'real' representative of the people. Even if he just won an election. I think we're seeing some of that talk here in the US, with 'tyrant' thrown in when 'majority rule' would better describe Obama's leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.