• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 251 flat head crysler engine manual

IMP

Site Supporter
Does anyone have the engine manual for a 251 flat head crysler engine? Or at least the specs so I can tune it up and check the lower bearings on my J5

Mtn-Track

Does your 251 still have the data tag on it? It would be on the right side of the block below the manifolds (can't miss it in the below photo). This would tell you what series/configuration engine it is and you can look for the right manual. Mine is a "251-8A" and I found original operation, maintenance, and overhaul manuals on e-bay for the Chrysler Industrial "8A" series. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 6-6-2010 002.jpg
    6-6-2010 002.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,667

IMP

Site Supporter
I think my tag is gone but l will check when I get back to town. It looks similar to yours in the photo except has a different manifold config. The block is 25" long. What kind of paint and prep work did you do to make your engine so perrdy?

Mtn-Track

I think my tag is gone but l will check when I get back to town. It looks similar to yours in the photo except has a different manifold config. The block is 25" long. What kind of paint and prep work did you do to make your engine so perrdy?

That's the thing with the old Chrysler Industrials. I think the basic blocks were the same for a given C.I.D., but they had subtle differences in 'accessories' like manifolds, bell housings, and clutches that were used in a wide variety of applicatons like pumps and welders, thus my thought you might want to know what series your's is to get the right manuals. I rebuilt my engine and had it boiled, thus a clean slate to paint with ceramic high-temp engine paint. In my case it was "New Ford Grey" that seemed to best match the latest Tucker chassis grey and could easily be bought off-the-shelf in spray cans and in gallons.

Kluane Airways

Does anyone have the engine manual for a 251 flat head crysler engine? Or at least the specs so I can tune it up and check the lower bearings on my J5

No manual but I do have a question. I have a J5 my son just rebuilt and put a Chev 292 in. He is using the old above rad. Do you have any idea what rad cap it takes. We have the wrong one on the rad. The proper one is deeper but it would be great to have the measurement?

IMP

Site Supporter
Here is the cap I bought at NAPA for my original J5 radiator when I restored it a few years ago. I don't have the part number and there is no identification numbers on the cap. I vaguely remember trying several different caps until i found one that fit. Good Luck. So Now you owe us a few photos.....We want to see your rig!

Attachments

• 20170128_110511-resized-1600.jpg
    20170128_110511-resized-1600.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 504
  • 20170128_110534-resized-1600.jpg
    20170128_110534-resized-1600.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 497
  • 20170128_110544-resized-1600.jpg
    20170128_110544-resized-1600.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 507

Kluane Airways

Thank you for the great photos. I will have Shawn post a bunch of his photos. It really came out great. He spent four months working on it every day. It is truly a frame of resto.

Kluane Airways

Thanks for the rad cap info, it worked great. I will try to post some of Shawn's photos. He installed a Chevy 292 and used the Chevy transmission. We were going to use the existing transmission but the Chevy one worked easier. The window at the front was small so he made it four inches taller and the view is far better. Everything on the machine was gone over and it was painted with Endura. He redid the tracks with industrial belting. The holes were fun to drill out.

We moved the J5 40 miles over a winter trail at 30 below and it ran great. Lots of power and good heat. The larger window sure was nice. It could use a bit of sound proofing, so I guess that is next. We have a 12,000 lb winch so that will go on it as well.