• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 Bombardier Trailer Overhaul

J5 Bombardier

Recently picked up a J5 trailer that is fairly straight , but needs a little TLC. These trailers for their size , can take a very large load , so after 50 plus years in service finding a decent is rare. Were going to remove the pulp loader mast and rear folding gate and install pockets for pickets. It's going to resemble our other trailer , being able to haul logs or firewood.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

Attachments

• july  2018 018 - Copy.jpg
    july 2018 018 - Copy.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 516

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Nice !
Looks like it has large axles ?
Mine has small axles so maybe someone put older walking beams on it ?

J5 Bombardier

I guess your trailer is pre 59-60 Pixie, myself I have only seen 5 or 6 over the years, all large axles. It is definitely an early one, lucky it survived.
So we stripped the trailer , cut off the old and welded on the mods we wanted. The beams need to be re bushed and the 2''1/4 beam axle needs some lathe time . Hope to get the frame painted this week , then sort out some tires and rims.

Attachments

• july phone #2 070 - Copy.jpg
    july phone #2 070 - Copy.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 420
  • july phone #2 074 - Copy.jpg
    july phone #2 074 - Copy.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 442

J5 Bombardier

Nothing like a red paint job, even if it's a roller job !

Attachments

• july #3  2018 007 - Copy.jpg
    july #3 2018 007 - Copy.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 391

J5 Bombardier

Yes , my first J5 still uses that type of hitch, for the other machines, a pipe tonque will be used.
Pixie post a pic here of your trailer, if you get a chance.
J5 Bombardier

J5 Bombardier

Wow , that was a toasty day, but managed to make some progress , it helps with a team of three. Finished repairing the beams and reinstalled them on the now true axle shaft and put on the adjuster hardware. Pickets are done, need to build a tube tongue for Muskeg towing, and rims /tires are next.

Attachments

• aug#1 2018 024 - Copy.jpg
    aug#1 2018 024 - Copy.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 354
  • aug#1 2018 030 - Copy.jpg
    aug#1 2018 030 - Copy.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 340

J5 Bombardier

Figured I would finish this project as I'll soon be needing it to haul the wood home. My belting was already punched by someone and was picked up with some parts years ago, either his tape was off or he was drunk , but I made it work .One track was finished Saturday and the second one is on the home stretch, after I dusted off my copy of Pixie's belting tool.

Attachments

• dec 2018 043.jpg
    dec 2018 043.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 385
  • dec 2018 054.jpg
    dec 2018 054.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 256

J5 Bombardier

Gave my 3 trailers, 2 bombardier and 1 homemade a shakedown today. The first fire wood hauled for 2018 - 19.

Attachments

• dec #3 2018 012 - Copy.jpg
    dec #3 2018 012 - Copy.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 231

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very cool. Do the tracks everr not roll on the trailers? Like when frozen or no load on trailer maybe low air pressure

J5 Bombardier

Never really had a problem with freezing , maybe a couple flats over the years. Thats probably due to the trailers get the old tires off the bombardiers.
J5 Bombardier