• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Camera carrier for belt, backpack, bra strap?, etc

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been looking for something to carry a camera, conveniently, and out of the way for a while. My goal was mostly for attaching the camera to a backpack strap, but somethine more flexible would be even better.

I think I found something that will easily work for me, and for anyone else who wants to carry a camera but hates having it hang from their neck.

My goal was to find a system that is:
Lightweight
Mounts on my belt
Mounts on my backpack's shoulder strap
Removes and repositions easily
Doesn't get in the way of the function of a belt or pack
Allows 1 hand to secure the camera in place
Allows 1 hand to remove the camera (this system does NOT do that)
Prevents the camera from "flopping" around while walking
Locks the camera into place securely so it can't fall out of the mount when bending, climbing, sitting, etc.
The "Capture Camera Clip" is the best I have seen, its from a company called Peak Design.

Video of how it works => https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uPopVxKL3No

belt%201%20500x500-480x480.jpg

messenger%201%20500x500-480x480.jpg
capturepro-480x480.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It arrived in the mail today.

First off I made a mistake and put it on my backpack without tossing it on the digital scale, so I don't have a weight, but it is very lightweight. Couple of ounces is my guess.

Secondly I'm really impressed by how versitile this is, you can lock the camera into the base in any direction and the base can be screwed down onto just about anything you can get it around (any sort of belt, strap, harness, etc). I bought the cheapest version, with a reinforced plastic backplate and a machined aluminum front plate. The more expensive versions use a machined aluminum backplate instead of the plastic. But the plastic appears to be very strong and solid.

In the box you get the adapter plate that screws into the bottom of your camera's tripod bracket. A hex key to screw the adapter plate into place. A small carry pouch. And the unit itself. Plus instructions. Hardest part to figure out is actually how to unpack it.
image.jpg1_zpsynwagkhf.jpg

Here is the square adapter plate that you screw into the bottom of the camera, along with the hex key wrench. A flathead screwdriver or a coin will also work as the bottom side has a 'slot' too.
image.jpg2_zpsv4b8prsw.jpg

Here is the square adapter plate, next to the main part (which is shown in the "open" position). The RED button is the release that unlocks the adapter plate after it is inserted. The BLACK knob on the side is a tension adjustment. The two BLACK knobs on the top are used to clamp the body of the main unit to your belt, pack strap, shoulder strap, etc.
image.jpg3_zpslpyayxm2.jpg

Looking DOWN from my shoulder you can (hopefully) see how it clamps onto my pack strap and how the camera locks into the unit. I moved it around a couple times to find a spot that seemed most comfortable. For now I have it mounted right above the pack's sternum strap.
image.jpg1_zps0sxok3ow.jpg

Slightly out of focus, but you can see how the camera rests tight against the front of my body, it can be angled by simply adjusting the angle of the back plate and clamping it down tight. Not sure, but I may remove the neck strap from the camera?
image.jpg4_zps4irkjeg5.jpg

Here is the ONE downside that I see when used with THIS SPECIFIC camera. . . the door to the battery compartment does not fully open with the adapter plate installed. So at the end of every day the adapter plate has to be removed so the battery can be removed for recharging. Not a huge issue. And clearly other cameras may not have this issue.
image.jpg2_zpsleeuw53o.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:wow: this thing is awesome.

If you use a real camera then you should buy this thing :hammer:

Tested it yesterday on a hiking trip in North Carolina and I found NOTHING bad and everthing good about this system.

In real life use the camera does not bounce against your body, it was held firmly to my chest strap of my backpack without the big lens banging against me, swaying, bouncing, etc.

In real life use it deploys FAST with a simple push of the red button while you are grabbing the camera. So its all 1 motion, you quickly learn to grab the camera body and press the button and lift it out of the locking position. If you were to fumble a bit the camera would simply stay in the "clip" becuase it is not only locked securely in there but it is also held in by gravity. So dropping it before it is fully removed would end up with the camera re-locking intio place.

It cannot compare in speed to a 'fanny pack' or zippered pouch. My phone rang while we were up there, I had to fumble with the zipper to get it out to answer it just in time before the call went to voice mail. But with this system you can deploy the camera in a SECOND or less. It is that fast.

I intentionally used the heaviest lens I have on this hike, the system held it easily.