• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Used Car Advice Needed

Ironman

I have decided that it is in my best interest being a single parent to buy my son a vehicle. He has a job and will be paying me back every dollar. My SUV is a very safe ride, I don't worry about him when he is driving it, but it doesn't get good mileage. He was already rear-ended by a 16 year old female doing 55-60mph. Her little car was totalled and my bumper was only bent as she slammed into/under under the truck :D (I think my kid almost pooped his pants tho). I want something safe that gets good mileage, very dependable, around 50,000 miles on it, and easy to insure. I don't want to spend much over 5 grand either. I don't care if its a Toyaota or a Chevy ect. - what ever is safe and dependable. Do you know of any cars that are famous for being dependable? Used car advice?

Thanks guys.

Ironman

Thanks Doc, you can never have to many leads. I searched for 40 miles of my zip and got a ton of hits. They all said to call for price - I usually don't look if a price isn't listed. If I see something interesting I'll have to see what dealership it is and go there. I'm thinking todays cars should be able to get 200,000 miles out of them if they are cared for. Alas, I remember when I was 16... funny how the tranny goes out all by itself in the family car and the tires go bald rather quickly.:confused2:

jwstewar

If you could find a late 90's Accord I think you would be fine. Would probably have more than 50k on it, but I still think you would be OK. We have almost 250k on ours and still going strong. As far as being safe, I can't tell you how many times ours has been hit w/ no major injuries. I just can't figure out why everyone keeps hitting it?:confused2: The worst was before I met my wife and her and her then boyfriend hit a tree with it. Another was a rear end that shoved her into another car. It just keeps going and it gets about 32 - 33 MPG. This is a big step for me in recommending these as I am a GM guy.:yankchain:

elsmitro

floppy member
I bought my last one from a guy on eBay. He is an actual dealer in Texas and his eBay nick is texasdirect I think. I plan on buying my next one from him too. His prices on trucks have gone way up since I bought mine but he still has good prices on sedans and some SUVs. When I bought my truck from him the price including shipping was a several thousand less than what I could have got it for anywhere around here. I also have a 96 dodge intrepid with almost 150k miles and it's still running strong. BUY AMERICAN!
Good Luck!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ironchef said:
Thanks Doc, you can never have to many leads. I searched for 40 miles of my zip and got a ton of hits. They all said to call for price - I usually don't look if a price isn't listed. If I see something interesting I'll have to see what dealership it is and go there. I'm thinking todays cars should be able to get 200,000 miles out of them if they are cared for. Alas, I remember when I was 16... funny how the tranny goes out all by itself in the family car and the tires go bald rather quickly.:confused2:

To start with I'll do a nationwide search to get an idea on what a particular model is going for. I agree, if the price is not listed, I don't bother calling either. A lot of dealers have started using the service, at times that will get in the way of the site being useful.

Reaper497

Young Buck
Site Supporter
Hey 'chef talk to Big Dog...He might have a few more cool sites that everyone else forgot about or some internet searching tips that might be helpful. He's really good at finding the deals ;)

The one he found for me, and the one i ended up buying was an 02 Grand Prix GT loaded except for leather with 31k miles for 9500

:thumb: Good Luck!

Eric L

Site Supporter
Full size truck with a 6 cyl engine. easy on tires, cheap to buy, used parts are readily available... nearly indestructable. Not the best on fuel but could be much worse... I personally have gotten 22+mpg out of a Ford 300 six in a F-100.. and the $$ you dont spend on the rig will buy a lot of fuel.

Eric

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter