• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS: 1958 Snow-Trac

Raven

Looking to sell my 1958 Snow-Trac. To the best of my knowledge all the machine needs is a new gas tank and battery and it should come back to life. The machine is what you’d expect of an older item. Both the body and mechanics need some repair but it would be a great restoration project. The engine is a 30hp VW, 4 speed, and I’ve got some new grousers and tire guides.

Located near Omak Washington … contact via email lsjohnson06 at yahoo … asking $3000 … Lance

Attachments

• 1958_SnowTrac.jpg
    1958_SnowTrac.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 850
  • 1958_SnowTrac_2.jpg
    1958_SnowTrac_2.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 857

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
2 band tracks with a big wheel conversion i would love to see close ups of that looks like a good project just have to get rid of the 30 horse motor and stick ib a 1600

Raven

Hello and thanks to everyone for the interest in my Snow-Trac.

I was very surprised at the number of contacts I received in such a short period of time but I’m happy to say the machine has a new home.

Again, thanks to everyone for the interest … Lance

Dirtyjoe

Man,I go to work tonite,get off at midnight and miss out on a killer deal on a cat I been lookin for!! Got to be quick around here. Who got it?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wasn't me. I guess I should have called dibs.

My kids put their finger on their nose when they call dibs maybe that would have helped.

That would have been a great spring break trip.

Mike

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Will the new owner provide us with some pictures of the front big wheel conversion? Does someone need it transported?
Thanks!

snotrans

Well we picked up the Snow Trac today and it is on its way to Snotrans In Idaho for a complete restoration This summer, It Is my wife's project as her and Lyndon , Earl, and others have a lot of memories and experiences of the Aktiv 's from years ago Like Lyndon getting run over by his Aktive, I belive in Yellowstone or Crater Lake, Let Lyndon Tell The story ,or the time he drove, off ridge in his Snowmaster that I would not have taken a PB Winch Cat down, No Her Akyiv it not for sale.,As I think she is trying to relive her youth. I Wiil keep posted her progress Bill Snortans

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bill,

Please take some detailed pics of the big wheel conversion...If it looks like it is workable....

Thanks, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
kirk after this weekend i do believe i have perfected my big wheel conversion as i i ran across terrain so rough that my back is still hurting i will post pics some time tomorrow

utahwilson

for us newbs..."Big Wheel" conversion isn't the 3 wheel trike we all had as a kid? Assume its the large wheel up front behind the sprocket? Is this something I should consider doing since I have to fix broken bracket up front on my snocat?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if you use my system i would highly recomend it it withstood more bouncing around than my back did this weekend there is another member interested in your tracmaster as is he has been trying to get a hold of you

utahwilson

DDS Thanks! I have been in contact with him. I have a big decision to make. With the exception of head room/leg room and climbing in and out of the snowcat for what I use it for it has been great. I like the low profile of the trackmaster. I have been talking to petersonequipment in Logan Utah about working on my snocat this summer. Waiting to get a ball park $$ estimate on what I want fixed/modified. That being said, if the big wheel up front is the way to go and it would benefit then I would consider adding it to the list. Also, have received great advice from BlackfootTucker if I decide to go that route.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
it's my opinion that the big wheel with a torsion trailer axle is the way to go just don't waste money getting them from northern hydraulics i have a different suppluer makes an axle that is indexable and built like a tank part i chose a heavy duty 2000 pound axle i think i might look at a lighter spring some where in the 1000 pound range other wise it can't be beat it took a licken and is still ticken

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don , I haven't noticed any problems with my front wheels. We have the same age machines. Are they a problem at high speeds??
Jim

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim,

They are if you hit an obstruction at high speed. That was the reason for the change. If your going to damage any boggies, it will be the front pair on each side. The track tensionis against them as well. On my machine one side was broken and repaired before I owned it. The damage resembled what Utah Wilson experianced and posted pics of...

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine are undamaged and no problem yet. Maybe I drive to slow and have less weight up front?
jim

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the big problem with the little boggies are running on hard surfaces they take a beating and suspension travel is limited with little boggies the torsion axle would be the suspension of choice for trails with lots of whooptidoos or frozen disadvantaged minorty heads we have up here on the tundra

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone who is into ST4's and finds one complete FOR 3k$ and DOES NOT BUY IT IS A FOOL!::: 16 Wheels at roughly 100$each = 1600$, (4) variator pulleys @ 500$ each= 2000$, forget the BRASS, and all those ST4 parts that are made of "UN-OBTAINIUM", AND then there's the matter of the Variator, can't even put a price on that. Grousers are worth 10 to 30 $ea, and theres 160 of them, Guides? I know Bombardier gets more than 10$ for one and there are how many? (320) you do the math. You don't need a degree or a slide rule(kind of dated myself, drat!) or calculator to figgure it out. ---I REST MY CASE--- OH YEAH, forgot to mention that of the 2315 machines built I know of atleast 100 wrecked or destroyed or at the bottom of some river!