• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Engine Compartment Sound Insulation

snowbird

What are some good alternatives for gluing inside the engine compartment on my Bombardier SkiDozer to deaden the sound?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There are automotive sound insulating panels you can buy that stick to the sheet metal. Check some of the mail order auto suppliers like JC Whitney. Many places have them with or without foil backing too. Basically they are some sort of rubber or other material that is about 1/4" thick, sold in small sheets or even in rolls and it cuts down on the noise pretty well.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe the foil is there to prevent the engine compartment heat from transferring into the passenger compartment. As for fire resistance, you really need to look at the various brands and see what they recommend. Some are designed for engine compartments others are designed for use inside passenger areas so you need to use the right one for the correct location of the install.

scooterd

I bought the 4'X10' roll for my Spryte. I was able to cover the bottom section of the cab, and most of the engine compartment. I need to order more to do the top of the cab.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 225

snowbird

I'm wondering if plain old beadboard or styrofoam insulation (1 or 2 inches thick) might work? I could glue it to engine compartment with panel adhesive perhaps. I suppose there could be a fire risk? (Or it might melt with engine heat?)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm wondering if plain old beadboard or styrofoam insulation (1 or 2 inches thick) might work? I could glue it to engine compartment with panel adhesive perhaps. I suppose there could be a fire risk? (Or it might melt with engine heat?)

plain old fiberglass ceiling panels for suspended ceilings work great,easy to cut
we sometimes paint them black. fire resistant