• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

DMC 1450 Idler help

Kmcbride

I’m putting my Snowcat back together finally and need a little help. Is there a torque for the front idlers or just a “rule” to follow on how tight they should be? Can’t find it anywhere in the bits of manuals that I have and I’ve searched the threads. Can’t find anything and would like to get this done by dark. I’m new at this so please be kind. Thanks.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m putting my Snowcat back together finally and need a little help. Is there a torque for the front idlers or just a “rule” to follow on how tight they should be? Can’t find it anywhere in the bits of manuals that I have and I’ve searched the threads. Can’t find anything and would like to get this done by dark. I’m new at this so please be kind. Thanks.

Tighten till no slop better a little on the loose side than to tight

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Better clarify that after rereading your post, if you mean bearings then follow my post, if you mean track tightness then that’s different. Tighten the track till snug then drive it a little bit and have someone watch the track when you put into reverse on a flat surface. Look at the area between the sprocket and the rear wheel for curl a slight curl is ok, a big dish plate sized curl is to much.

Kmcbride

Thanks Brad, you would know this cat better than anyone since it used to be yours :wink:. Yes, it’s the bearing. I’ll just tighten them snug then. Thanks again.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brad, you would know this cat better than anyone since it used to be yours :wink:. Yes, it’s the bearing. I’ll just tighten them snug then. Thanks again.

My handicap is wheel bearings.
use a search engine (google) for dexter they have great write ups on the process of setting tapered roller bearings for their trailers...

• some processes have you achieve a torque value don't turn the wheel then back off to the next keeper position.

• other bearing processes tighten hand tight, then turn the wheel <each direction> and then loosen.
  • A VW service manual for the rear of a jetta states tighten until it takes 20 foot pounds of force to slide a washer beneath the nut.

In my slow and back in time cognitive function, I run bearing a little tighter on the sno cat and snow cat(s) than i do on my trailers.