• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What's for Dinner Tonight?

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
is there another type of milk to drink~

not here. drink milk or drink pop. juice is fer my healthy whims. those're few & far between.

anyhoo, dinner is TBD. there may be extras @ 'da bar, & i'm grocery shoppin' w/ my nurse, so blake sent himself to 'da bar to pre-drink before i meet him there. is waitin' on me. better shop kinda quick. aw, & he got me a few Stillers items, so i hafta get pretty to sport them.

btw-- i have a concussion. my thoughts get kinda scattered. :whistling:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Steak dinner on New Year's Eve just me and Mama. Had some Baker's Square French Silk pie for dessert, leftover from the previous night's dinner with friends. Last night was chicken Parmesan & spaghetti.

Tonight we were supposed to have the grandkids here while their parents took out out #2 daughter for her birthday. The kids were both sick so Mrs. JEV went there to babysit. She had a pizza for dinner, and I went to the Chinese buffet for dinner. I love their baked salmon. Mmmm... The sushi & mussels are pretty good too.

Attachments

• Dinner 123114-1.jpg
    Dinner 123114-1.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Dinner 010215.jpg
    Dinner 010215.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Dinner 010315.jpg
    Dinner 010315.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i slipped. damn. my lytes were not okay, so 1 seizure later, i was inpatient.

we got Asian. chix/beef. deciding on tonite's dinner as i type.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
i slipped. damn. my lytes were not okay, so 1 seizure later, i was inpatient.

we got Asian. chix/beef. deciding on tonite's dinner as i type.

Yeah, I rang my bell tother day on the corner of one of the cabinet doors. Even the dog thought it funny. :w00t2:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Yeah, I rang my bell tother day on the corner of one of the cabinet doors. Even the dog thought it funny. :w00t2:

Dogs think everything is funny.........:yum:

I bought a whole ham the other day and I'm going to fix it for dinner tonight with baked taters, sweet corn, and homemade applesauce.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know what is for dinner tonight. It is Melen's last night at home with us before she leaves to return to Wake Forest. Maybe prime rib?

But last night it was a room temperature can of Chef Boy Ar-Dee Mini Ravioli and a can of root beer to wash it down. It was an active day, we were all tired, nobody had energy to make a meal and I may have been the only one of us who ate anything at all for dinner because we had a late & large lunch earlier.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Celebrating #2 daughter's birthday here today. I have a roast sitting on mire poix in the crock pot that I pan seared, then deglazed the pan with some red wine and put a cup of beef broth in with it. I'll check on it around 2pm. Making mashed potatoes, gravy and steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrots for a side. German chocolate cupcakes per the birthday girl's request are already baked & frosted with a cream cheese frosting.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wish I could cook like JEV. :(

I have 2 large pyrex pans filled with beef short ribs slow cooking in the oven right now. Not sure if that's going to be for tonight or tomorrow.

I have a couple nice Delmonico's sitting out ready to hit the grill for lunch. Waiting for a window in time when it's not raining.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
For me, cooking is an enjoyable hobby. I volunteer in the commercial kitchen for a few big food events throughout the year at out church, and that's enough to keep me cooking as a hobbyist, not a chef. If I had to cook for a living, I would go looking for another job. It's not an easy life, and it takes special people to enjoy production cooking. Kind of like choosing proctology as a career.:brows:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

The Old Boy knows his way around a kitchen, no doubt bout that.:applause:

For my big day today, it's going to be a 7 pound prime rib, mashed potatoes whipped up in my new Kitchen-Aid mixer and a vegetable or salad. Maybe a few Miller 64's to wash it all down with. :clap:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
For me, cooking is an enjoyable hobby. I volunteer in the commercial kitchen for a few big food events throughout the year at out church, and that's enough to keep me cooking as a hobbyist, not a chef. If I had to cook for a living, I would go looking for another job. It's not an easy life, and it takes special people to enjoy production cooking. Kind of like choosing proctology as a career.:brows:

I did it for over 15 years and loved every minute of it. Had to quit though because of my arthritis, it was getting harder and harder to climb the stairs 10 times a day to get stuff. The restaurant business is a hard life, you work many hours, but you can meet great people.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Not eating for awhile as daughter #1 is waiting for grandson to wake up from his nap before they begin their 40 minute commute. I figured I'd post what's done, because it will be a circus when they get here.

The square cut roast came out fork tender, and the red wine reduction gravy is delicious. I added some parsley & Parmesan cheese to the smashed taters...mmmmmm! The veggies will steam up pretty quick once the kids get here, and we'll be ready to tie on the feed bag.

Attachments

• Dinner 010415-1.jpg
    Dinner 010415-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Dinner 010415-2.jpg
    Dinner 010415-2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Dinner 010415-3.jpg
    Dinner 010415-3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 83

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
blake is on his way; i'll see if he would be into getting chinese or another delivery dinner when he gets here.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Baked an eye of round roast in the clay cooker with celery, carrots and taters chunked up around it. Started it of in a brown gravy mix and turned it over after an hour at 350. Let it cook for 3 hours with the lid on and then reduced to 300 with the lid off for a 1/2 hour on each side. So tender it cut with a fork. Have enough left for another meal.:clap:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Baked an eye of round roast in the clay cooker with celery, carrots and taters chunked up around it. Started it of in a brown gravy mix and turned it over after an hour at 350. Let it cook for 3 hours with the lid on and then reduced to 300 with the lid off for a 1/2 hour on each side. So tender it cut with a fork. Have enough left for another meal.:clap:

And you didn't invite the rest of us..........:unsure:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Day three and the last of the roast beef. Boy, was that a good roast. I decided to add Hasselback potatoes, then topped them with sour cream. After three days of beef, we're looking forward to Pasta Primavera tomorrow.
Attached Images
attachment.php

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No such thing as too much Roast Beast, but I tend to be more of a meat and potatoes type guy anyway. We are also on day 3 of our prime rib.

No complaints from me. :biggrin:

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
pizza & Asian. i'm sincere when i say that they gave us enough food to last a month, & my pal gave me haluski, as well. nom.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Pork Tenderloin stuffed with Andouille Sausage and Bacon. Prepared it this morning, cooking it this evening.

2015-01-08 09.48.23.jpg

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Found some pork tenderloin in the freezer and pineapple chunks in the cupboard, so I turned it into Sweet & Sour Pork over rice.
Attached Images
attachment.php

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Breakfast for dinner tonight.

Attachments

• Dinner 010915.jpg
    Dinner 010915.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 81

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Made a new bread recipe I saw in Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives on Friday night...Cranberry Wild Rice Bread. It was made just to make French toast for dinner, and it was very good. The wild rice component added absolutely nothing to the recipe that we could detect, but we really enjoyed bread and will make it again, without the rice.

Attachments

• Dinner 011115.jpg
    Dinner 011115.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 216

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
What type of flour did you use in that bread? Also, Yeast or baking powder? I bet you used baking powder.

Cranberry Wild Rice Bread
Makes one loaf or six muffins​

Sponge:

4 oz. Water
2-1/2 oz. Bread Flour
2-1/2t Yeast
1T Sugar

Ingredients:

5-1/2 oz. Water or milk
1 oz. Canola oil or melted butter
.30 oz. Salt
¾ C Cooked wild rice-cooked thoroughly and cooled (optional)
1 Lg. Egg (whipped)
½ - 3/4C Cranberries
5-1/2 oz. Stone Ground Whole Wheat flour
8 oz. White Bread Flour

Mix first four ingredients for sponge and let rise 1 hour.
Add remaining ingredients and mix for 7 minutes.
Allow to rise one hour then punch down and shape into loaves.
Allow to rise until almost double in size, about one hour
Pre heat oven 350F
Butter the top of the loaves and bake for 45-50 minutes or until 200F core temp.
Cool for 90 minutes before slicing.