• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Whiskey, Honey, Lemon ... cough syrup

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, grandma used to make this for us, apparently it works as well, perhaps better than NyQuil.

This Flu Season, Consider Whiskey over Modern Medicine
Jeremy Glass

Forget everything you've ever known about modern medicine and dump all your fancy pills down the toilet; there's a new flu-fighter in town and his name is whiskey. In a recent article by The Kitchnn, we're introduced to Bourbon Cough Syrup for Grownups. Quite different than the other grown-up cough syrup we're used to hearing about in modern music, this recipe calls for four simple ingredients: two ounces of bourbon, half a lemon, four ounces of water, and one tablespoon honey.

While anecdotally considered an effective painkiller, consider this 1941 article from TIME magazine in which whiskey is referred to as "one of the cheapest and best painkillers known to man." In the piece, Whiskey for Pain, two doctors reported that only a few ounces of booze raised their "'threshold' of pain 45% for two hours."

The Kitchnn nails it by giving out this simple little recipe, while noting that it's really the honey that does the trick, as it acts as a natural chest decongestant.​

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Of course it works. Better than Nyquil because,,,; The Nyquil of your mom back in 1980 is not the same Nyquil sold today. The drug used in old Nyquil is ban for OTC because of Meth labs.

I remember my wife wanting some Nyquil in the middle of the night. I went to the cabinet but the bottle was virtually empty. So I took yellow Galliano Liquor and some honey and filled the bottle. Then I added some blue food coloring until it looked right.

She never knew until weeks later when, because I was making a batch for me,,,; I told her.
It costs less than Nyquil and works far better.

That, and the occasional "Age of Aquarius" visitor request for a Harvey Wallbanger is the only reason I still keep Galliano in the bar.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is another recipe for Bourbon Cough/Cold Syrup:

We recently uncovered a recipe for "Bourbon Cough Syrup for Grownups" from The Kitchn's archive the other day and we're totally going try this the next time we're feeling a cold coming on.

Essentially a hot toddy, The Kitchn recommends heating up two ounces of whiskey with two ounces each of lemon juice and water in the microwave for 45 seconds. After that, whisk in one tablespoon of honey and microwave again for another 45 seconds.

While The Kitchn notes that it's actually the large amount of honey in the recipe that will make you feel better, since it acts as a natural chest decongestant, it'll taste so much better mixing it into a warm cocktail to sip while you hide out underneath a pile of blankets during your sick day.
Personally I would NOT heat the whiskey but rather I would add the room temperature whiskey to the already warmed water, lemon juice & honey.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
my Grandparents, as well-- & me, too, as an adult-- & that made/makes ails well-- & soon~~ whiskey on my/us kiddos' teething gums & so on, too--