• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

my mirror upgrade

joan156

Hey guys,
Please, help me with the right paint for my mirror. I found old wooden mirror in the father’s garage. I would like to make it better. I decided to remove old paint, degrease the surface and repaint it in bright color. Maybe I will use stencils to apply the ornament. What paint dries fast?
Thanks

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey guys,
Please, help me with the right paint for my mirror. I found old wooden mirror in the father’s garage. I would like to make it better. I decided to remove old paint, degrease the surface and repaint it in bright color. Maybe I will use stencils to apply the ornament. What paint dries fast?
Thanks

If I were doing this job, after stripping the old finish, I would seal with shellac or a sanding sealer. Then I would use automotive enamel or lacquer for the finish. Both come in spray cans in a wide variety of colors, and both dry fast.

If you have access to a sprayer, that also works well, but cleanup is much more difficult.

It may not need to be said, but remove the mirror first and seal all sides of the wood.

joan156

I went to my local hardware and they offered this paint krylon
It is cheap and this is a great plus. But I worry about its quality…

The automotive enamel is a great idea. Can I take any type of this paint? Sorry for stupid questions, but I’m a girl and this paint theme for me is absolutely new.

PS: the pics will be later when I finish somehting...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have never had issues with Krylon paint's quality and use it frequently. Mostly for projects not exposed to much weather (items that stay inside).

For a project that is going to sit outside all year, exposure to sun, rain and snow, then I'd probably take more care wtih the paint choices.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went to my local hardware and they offered this paint krylon
It is cheap and this is a great plus. But I worry about its quality…

The automotive enamel is a great idea. Can I take any type of this paint? Sorry for stupid questions, but I’m a girl and this paint theme for me is absolutely new.

PS: the pics will be later when I finish somehting...

For a mirror to be used indoors, most any enamel is good.

For old, dry wood, I think the most important thing is the preparation. The old paint or varnish needs to be fully stripped, sealed, and dry.