• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow vehicle concept from 1924.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had seen photos of that tractor conversion but never this extensive of a video, nor had I seen the automobile conversion.

Great video :clap:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The Fordson snow machine could also traverse a pond. It floated and with the steering brakes one could navigate. It was top heavey and therefor not stable in any kind of seas.. But it worked on flat water.

thepooguy

they worked well straight up or straight down a hill......but side tracking a hill they failed miserably as they would slide down the hill sideways REALLY fast. My thought has allways been that the concept would make a GREAT pontoon boat. you could power it inboard with a nice briggs vangaurd to hydrolic drive on the pontoons. the need for a dock would be eliminated as you could drive right out of the water onto the lawn. AND THE GREAT PART! you could ice fish out of it as well:clap: and if you did venture out on thin ice and break through! no biggy as you would float and could crawl back up onto the ice or shore:brows:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
franc.....we must have been typing at the same time lol

Yes. The Fordson is built on the same frame family as my 9n.

Ferguson had a host of ideas upon which Henry Ford put his name

BTW,a skilled operator could navigate a hill using the brakes. However,not for the timid.

Today the machine would never get passed the corporate attorneys.

thepooguy

they actually did make it into production. i know a old ford/fordson collector in indiana that has 2 of these......if i remember correctly they were a conversion kit that you purchased. he also has 3 tracked fordsons as well that were factory set ups.

undy

Russia experimented with this system for some military vehicles too: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uynmApjhWI"]ZIL screw drive (2) - YouTube[/ame]

I've run across lots of various pics of these types of vehicles from there.