• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Front dirve sprockets

1975 Snow trac

Hi,
Where can I find front drive sprockets for a Snow Trac? Used or new.
Are they cast?
Has people attempt to fix worn sprokets? What was the out come?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Fixing a worn out sprocket is not an option. CHRISTER may have a set of sprockets. PM him and ask. I also have so 42 tooth sprockets but those are for HD use.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BC Tell and NW Tell used to have them made in Calgary. I started making my own using a harder brass with a lubricating agent(Graphite) similar to the new superior bronze alloy used as a replacement for Babbit. I have since sold my molds to Warren. There are distinctly 2 different types of Brass, Front Track drive Sprockets for an ST4. Old style bolted on to a Brake drum. they were thinner and tended to wear out more rapidly. Later machines, had a wider sprocket that has fingers for mounting on a smaller diameter hub. My new aftermarket sprocket was "Old style" and incorperated the improved width feature of the later ones. Christer is probably the main source for New, but it is possible that Jerry Mentzel in Ohio has some. Since Warren has the molds he might be worth contacting. the place that did the casting for me was Ballard Brass in Seattle. Warren Jones has a Snow Trac website reffered to elsewhere in this Forum.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry. I was thinking the chain drive sprockets not th track sprockets. Warren does have some spare ones. He also has molds as well. PM me for his phone number.

1975 Snow trac

Thanks for the info.
My Dad pulled out three ST30A sprockets from his shed today. He said that the guy he bought the machine from, purchased the sprockets in hope that he could make them work on the Snow Trac.
Does anybody know what type of machine uses these sprockets?
Anybody willing to trade?
Thanks,
MJ

Attachments

• st30a 006 (2).jpg
    st30a 006 (2).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 435
  • st30a 001 (5).jpg
    st30a 001 (5).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 426
  • st30a 002 (7).jpg
    st30a 002 (7).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 425

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Those look like the track drive sprokets from an older style Snow Trac. As yours is a 1975 model those sprockets won't work. You probably have a 14 point sprocket that looks like the one in the photo below. If so, they are reverseable. If only one side is worn out, you can take them off, reverse them, and reinstall them!

Attachments

• 1aaasprocket.jpg
    1aaasprocket.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 419

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Take a picture of your current sprockets. We can tell you if they are reversable (not worn completely out). IPM me and I can give you the contact info for a good parts source thats has those sprockets you need in stock. You should get a set anyway and then flip your old ones and wear them out BUT be careful you dont wear out your grousers were the sprockets meet them. That woukld be an exspensive repair! Member CHRISTER should also have those sprockets in stock. You should try and contact him too.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These are OEM Early 2 belt Snow Trac and 4 belt Trac Master sprockets, used on Pre-Big front wheel machines and a few transitional year machines. These have the casting facilities mark on them. Westeraskmaskiner had it's own casting facility which has since been torn down, but I believe that is their casting mark (Little Man Pouring from Crucible) some sprockets produced later don't have this on them or have another companies mark. 10 years ago these sprockets cost 170$ EACH! You should be able to trade them for the correct ones for your machine. They have the same number of teeth and the same 'Pitch diameter'( tooth spacing ) as the New style but are designed to mount in an entirely different way. NOS (New Old Stock) parts like this are very desireable to have on hand to make copies of and use as a reference to make molds from. This is how I and Christer made lots of the replacement parts.

1975 Snow trac

005 picture is the driver side and 004 is the passenger side.

Attachments

• Sprockets 004 (3).jpg
    Sprockets 004 (3).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 414
  • sprockets 005 (3).jpg
    sprockets 005 (3).jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 414

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Man those are in horrible shape! DO NOT DRIVE THAT SNOW TRAC until you get new ones! They are beyond reversing too. I hope your grousers are not worn out as well! You need to check. Post some pictures too. As far as new ones, like LYNDON said you should be able to exchange them for the proper set or spend very little in exchange. Now you really need to inspect your track tensioning as well. The right side looks like it has been run very tight for a very long time. DO YOU HAVE A MANUAL? If not contact member B SKURKA. You need one! Also I fear some one may not have been doing proper maintenance and may have not kept the drive chains at the proper tension or the variator belt. You will need to check that as well. Also you need to check the chain drive sprockets for excessive wear. I know what was going on. The drive sprockets were slipping so someone kept tightening the tracks up. This caused excessive wear and an accelerated rate. I just hope the grousers survived if not they cost a minimum of $30.00 each x what 70 a side? That would be a very exspensive lesson.. You need to inspect these. OK so now lets get this snow trac fixed. PLEASE call me. I will be more than happy to help you out on doing the maintenance. If you are some what close I can make a trip and help you replace the items you need. Where are you located? PM me for my phone number. Just to let you know in about two hours MAX you can have that snow trac correctly adjusted. Belts, chains tracks and everything lubed. Its not hard and will be a snap to do. If you are not close I can walk you through it on the phone until you get a manual. After a few times you wont even need a manual except to reference other things.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do have manuals, and if you need them let me know. I send them out on CDs and do not charge members for them.

Also, I would like to purchase an extra pair of the front sprockets too. So when you find a source let me know, there may be a way to save on shipping or get a better price with a larger quantity ordered?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
More on Sprockets:

There is a fairly new casting tenique that involves using urethane. It's similar to the"Lost Wax" method. It saves the cost of having molds made. Molds can be very spendy. Mine cost about 1000$ for the Brass Sprockets Mold and about the same for the ST25 (Variator "C" casting). Unless you plan to go into the manufacturing business it's a bit of an expense. If one spreads the cost over 30,50 or 100 pieces it's not so bad. I produced about 40 sprockets and about a half dozen ST25 castings. However with this New technique, the finished product doesn't require machining after it's cast and can be done on a one-piece basis. No mold means No big Cost$! what you need is a Brandy New Sprocket as a Template. I gave a Set of NEW, not replica, Factory sprockets to Warren Jones for precisely this application.Actually New style and Old Style, 2 sets. Hook up with him. There are a couple of places in Seattle and at least one in Tacoma that use this process. These sprockets were made out of brass specifically so that they don't wear out the grousers and side guides. I tried some steel sprockets and they did indeed wear out the grousers and guides. It was a mistake. The Brass comes in various Hardnesses. 2 hardness levels up with the addition of a lubricating agent, usually Graphite or Molibdanum tend to work best. The lubricating agent is alloyed right into the brass before casting. The Casting guys will Know what I'm talking about because they sell a similar product, or perhaps the same product, as a substitute for Babbit for rebuilding old machinery that has Babbit Bearings. It may be reffered to as "Bearing Alloy" or smoething close to that. Anyway it's a 'One Time' fix that seems to last forever and still doesn't wear out the guides and Grousers.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have Warrens info to contact him. I am leaving early in the morning (I think) but will be back Wednesday or Thursday. My house is a mess right now since we just removed the old carpet for some new stuff. So unfortunatley my office is packed with those two rooms contents. I have a little path to my comp. I will find all the addresses and phone numbers for you when I get back.

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
I have tried to put my photo on with out joy! I would like to know whether my 1964 ST4 with what look like the ST30 A sprockets are reversible or not? They don't look like it? Will i be able to find a set of these older style sprockets or are they like 'Hen's teeth' at the moment? :pat:

If you guys are saying they are possibly being made can some one give me the email or PM mail so i can get in comm.'s with this or these guy's?

Can some one look at the picture of my ST4 on Snow Trac Adventure and usage-Page 3 - 5th one down, there are pictures of my yellow Scottish power ST4 with what looks like a Yettie trying to communicate with some one! I'm wondering whether it is Big AL:yum: :yum: Yettie dresses like big Al:whistle: Mind you this Yettie looks like he will be able to drive a Kristi with no problems, but the ST4 he as walked away from, it's far to reliable and technical for him:eek:

EDIT BY BOB: Here is a link to the Thread Tommo is referring to: TOMMO's PHOTOS

Well folks, i look forward to reading your advise and sharing all the banter with you.

Don't work to hard Al:burp: :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tommo, it appears to me that the "ST30A" sprockets are reversable.

It also appears to me that you have ST30A sprockets on your Snow Trac.

If you are thinking that you'd like a spare set, or a factory fresh set, then I'd suggest you contact Mike (1975 Snow Trac) up in Alaska, via PM or Email, to inquire about purchasing his spare set since the set he has is not suitable for his Snow Trac.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Tommo said:
Will i be able to find a set of these older style sprockets or are they like 'Hen's teeth' at the moment?

I'm wondering whether it is Big AL:yum: Yettie dresses like big Al Mind you this Yettie looks like he will be able to drive a Kristi with no problems, but the ST4 he as walked away from, it's far to reliable and technical for him:eek:
Don't work to hard Al:burp: :thumb:

Well.... I think those Hen's teeth spockets will go real nice with that Chicken Sh*t yellow Snot Trac you own . You know if you leave the back door open it would give the chickens a nice place to roost at night .I have heard rumors that when Snow Trac's came yellow like that from the factory ,they were a special "Edition Model" .
Yours was called a "1964 Chicken Chaser" ! :yum: :yum:

And that looks like your sister in the picture ! No.... I mean the good looking one in your family, not the ugly one !!!!:moon: How do you say BUTT UGLY !!!:moon: :5boobs:

Good Day Mate !:tiphat:

Tommo

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Front drive sprockets

Well my friend,

I look after my Chickens and they give me 8 eggs a day! If you do get more than 12 metre from the launch pad on lift off day or don't has the case may well be, i'll buy your Bath tub from you as my Ducks sunken bath tub could do with being change this season:D The best thing about your bath in relation to theirs is yours comes with a fitted escape hatch in the form of a toilet seat! very handy i think for when you go through the ice and sink!!:yum: :yankchain:

When will you be coming back Al? When do you think NASA will turn up to watch the launch of Krispi, Sorry that's after the fire! :moon:

You have a wonderful time with the family and i'll be on your tail as soon as you get back and eagerly await your restoration section which i think is:a1: :respect:

Take care, 'Stay low- Move fast'

Bob Cantin

I picked up my sprocket patterns from the foundry last week, and now have them back at my shop. For many years I supplied the ST52 drive sprockets to our many customers here in Canada. They are cast in Molybdenum Bronze, and wear really well. Drop me a note if you need any---Bob C

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If any of you ever can not simply find a part we have the ability to laser or water jet up to 12" stainless steel and can create a Cad file for future reference. Time permiting........ in our slow time