• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Getting hammered by rain ! Now Winds !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Its been pouring rain here for 2 1/2 days . Creeks and rivers are on the rise and they are saying this is just the start of it . Some areas of the high Sierra peaks said to be expecting 200MPH wind gust . Its going to be soggy and windy for awhile:sad:. One report said to expect 12 feet of snow in the near future !

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
200 MPH! :eek: Watch for falling trees!

One of the good things about being in the Gorge is that Western winds tend to get canceled out by the Eastern Gorge winds. Of course, we still get the non-stop 30-40mph Eastern winds when everyone else is calm. :mellow:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I went to Sacramento yesterday and it was a mess. I have never seen it rain that hard in the states . Visibility was down to about 150 feet on Interstate 80 near Aurburn .
Dang screen door on the sliding Door window blew off the tracks last night too .

My 4 acre lake is about to overflow and I have two outlets on it !

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We're getting pounded for sure. Lots of wind and rain.

Funny though, the wind is not affecting the trees as bad as the snow did a month ago. We lost trees, and a lot of branches to unusual for us amount of snow. We get 4-6" sometimes, but not 1-1.5'.

We have these storms stacked up all week too.

We really need it though. Could really use the snow pack, fill some of the lakes this spring...

At least with the wind and rain, it is not foggy in Sacramento valley...

Near Placerville, though, we are definitely getting lots of rain.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I'm in the bay area too, right now (Danville). Kinda crazy all this rain...

Feels like summertime at home.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Here on the floor of the Central Valley its wild and windy. Stuff blowing everywhere. But so far only about a half inch of rain compared to 1.25 - 1.5 on the western slope of the Sierras.

I see chains are required over the summit [California to Nevada] on both I80 and US50.

SacBee.com:
The Sierra Nevada could get 10 feet of fresh snow in total this week.

The webcams over the summit don't look too bad so far.
(That page takes a long time to load, but then it shows over a dozen cameras. Watch the dates; a couple of pictures aren't current.)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, sounds rough. Where I live we get wild weather changes but never any heavy snows like that. Our school system would be closed for the rest of the year. Hmm, but I sure could make some side change clearing snow! Heck, literally, no kidding, schools closed in my area due to dense fog. I'd never heard of that before!

Any of that water going to put a dent in filling Lake Mead back up to normal stage? Or is there no rain getting to that area? I think I heard that it's the lowest it's been since something like 1965 or so. Taking a helicopter tour earlier this year it looked like that white ring or calcium, or whatever it is, on the rocks looked to be about 50 to 75 feet high.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They just announced some mountain areas can expect up to 10ft. of snow over the next 3 days. They can keep it out there at that depth. The mudslides are starting to hit some of the burned areas and LA city has a tornado warning.

D

darroll

We have been hammered by high winds.
It blew most of the shingles off the neighbors roof.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The storm is creating 25 foot waves near LA.

Hang in there west coast peeps.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep ! its gettin real nasty out there now ! I got my swim fins and snorkle ready .

brazospete

Its been pouring rain here for 2 1/2 days . Creeks and rivers are on the rise and they are saying this is just the start of it . Some areas of the high Sierra peaks said to be expecting 200MPH wind gust . Its going to be soggy and windy for awhile:sad:. One report said to expect 12 feet of snow in the near future !
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100119/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1063 This sounds like a nice way to go to haiti and maybe a good place to stay.

Reno

My brother called last night from San Diego. I am originally from there and I don't recall this happening to this extent there ever before. My Bro said his pool is overflowing and things are blowing all around the yard. Strange weather patterns everywhere.:neutral:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Getting hammered by rain ! Now Winds !
Now more rain. More wind. The streets are full of tree debris.

My power was down for 10 hours, just now came back up. This would be unremarkable out at the ranch, but its very unusual here at home in town, a few miles from the state capitol building.

The local utility (SMUD) is generally excellent. I don't recall an outage over 2-3 hours maximum, ever, and those are rare.

But they told me it never rains in California! :D

Al, how are you doing up there in the gold country? Any trees down? RNE?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Chris, I have ONE question:
How is Big Bird faring, and did you buy him a little raincoat?
:D
I do worry about him, you know...:wub:

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I expect Big Bird is a little soggy by now. If he hasn't been blown into the next county! :D The picture I posted a couple of weeks ago showed him drying out after a similar rainy/windy night. I'm in town right now so I hope he's ok. He should be fine, the temperature hasn't gotten below 45 so this shouldn't be too hard on him. (But he may have to struggle to fly back home to his favorite redwood tree, from wherever he got blown to!)

Al's the one I'm worried about. Weather passes over us here on the valley floor. But the weather all stacks up against the Sierras and Al is at 2500 ft elevation, 1/3 of the way to the summit. The clouds stop there and dump whatever they are carrying. Over behind the Sierras, Nevada is dry desert. Because all the moisture got dumped where Al is! At least he is (generally) below the snow line. Did you see my note above where 10 ft of snow is forecast for the higher elevations?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Report this morning says folks need to prepare to be unable to travel for days due to mudslides at lower elevations and snow in the mountains. Good luck to all out there. Might help fill up some of the reservoirs.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al's the one I'm worried about. Weather passes over us here on the valley floor. But the weather all stacks up against the Sierras and Al is at 2500 ft elevation, 1/3 of the way to the summit. The clouds stop there and dump whatever they are carrying. Over behind the Sierras, Nevada is dry desert. Because all the moisture got dumped where Al is! At least he is (generally) below the snow line. Did you see my note above where 10 ft of snow is forecast for the higher elevations?

Al's fine ! A little soggy .They are calling for falling temps and snow now .
Heck of a Rain storm . Dad's old place is without power but everything seems pretty good overall.I am glad I am off the valley floor .
If I hear talk of water rationing this year they can kiss my butt !

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
We are starting in Danville and going over the Donner on I80.

(4x4 with full chains and a very experienced driver)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We are starting in Danville and going over the Donner on I80.

(4x4 with full chains and a very experienced driver)

You will be fine as long as they don't close the road . A 4x4 will never be required to install chains on I-80 . Caltrans will close the road before doing that . Be safe .
Were having a break in weather right now , but its hard to say what is going on up the hill .
If you get to Grasss Valley area .i'll buy the coffee .:brows: Take 49 north(26 miles) off I-80 at Auburn to Grass Valley and you can continue up Hyw 49/20 and reconnect to 80 just above Yuba Gap .(27miles) That would leave you about 16 miles before you are over the top and in Truckee . My brother lives there and said it has been real mild on that side of the hill .
Allen

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
We may need a place to stop for the night if they close the pass... Got a guest room for 3? :biggrin:

We got one bedroom tore up( In Moving Mode ) but one room with a queen bed open . Also have a couple of nice hotels in town .
If Caltrans closes the road there won't be much past Aurburn at is avalible to stay other than Grass Valley area .
Stand by ... I call Caltrans road conditions and my brother for a I-80 update

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Interstate 80 at 9:21 AM = Chains or Snow Tires required Baxter to the Nevada state line .

Baxter is down the hill by the Gold Run Area . Just above Colfax about 15 miles or so .
Drive slow and you should be fine . Watch out for UFO's ( unidentified Flying Orientals) They never slow down and drive like idiots in the snow .